Suspending Instant Book Virus

Alastair0
Level 9
Chiang Mai, Thailand

Suspending Instant Book Virus

As we have so many guests from China we are temporarily suspending instant book on all our listings due to the Virus outbreak and we need control of from where somebody is traveling from. Guests just put China as their address. We need to know from where in China. 
This is a responsible position on our part and recommended by a support agent who cancelled a Chinese guests booking under exceptional circumstances.  What I have issue with is that we will be penalized by Airbnb search engine and are “warned” of the effect turning off instant book will have on our future bookings 

Who is being irresponsible???

Hosting for 12 years Superhost for most of that time and have grown each year.
19 Replies 19
Mike-And-Helen0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Alastair0 @Michelle53 @Cathie19 @Sarah977 @Helen3 

I think people are freaked out by the spiral of hysterical questions when you turn off instant book.

I had an enquiry yesterday from "the Stub 90". 

Went to turn off instant book and you have to type a certain number of characters to justify WHY you want to turn it off as well as answer a load of questions.

As for the 'flu jab, my take is that it's our civic responsibility to accept it if we're offered it for free, to protect those who can't.

Alastair0
Level 9
Chiang Mai, Thailand

Thailand has the largest number of Chinese visitors of all countries. We have the largest confirmed cases outside of China. As more and more airlines close the flights to and from China, Thailand flights still continue. Today we have arrivals from 6 Chinese flights. This is Chiang Mai alone. Our last Chinese mainland guests have just checked out. 
our book now remains off but still feel that if we turn it on and after checking with the guests that we are uncomfortable and cancel that the 3 strikes and your out penalty from Airbnb is unfair. On another note, something as important as this should have been flagged on every hosts dashboard. It was only from a community member that we knew Airbnb had information on the forum. We don’t all have time to visit the forum on a regular basis. 

Hosting for 12 years Superhost for most of that time and have grown each year.

@Alastair0    I agree there should have been at least an email, or some other notification by now.   I've only been active on the community forum for a month or two, since I had a complainer guest, and wanted to get some opinions from other hosts, and also hit a really quiet period in December, and January, and have a bit of time on my hands. 

While I understand the rationale of avoiding panic, in a situation like this, the updated cancellation policy should have been adequately published. 

You'd have to google "Airbnb coronavirus" to find it.   Apparently, a Chinese language notice was circulated to affected areas (Wuhan), while leaving the decision to stay open for business with hosts.   I don't disagree with this last part- I think it is up to each and every host to make their own decision about what to do, given the facts.  But the facts do need to be published. 

https://www.businessinsider.com/wuhan-coronavirus-apple-amazon-google-close-offices-travel-china-spr...

https://www.scmp.com/tech/apps-social/article/3048382/airbnb-hosts-coronavirus-epicentre-wuhan-stay-...

Michelle53
Level 10
Chicago, IL

Meanwhile, while everyone is shutting their doors against travellers from Wuhan, some people have nowhere to go. 

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/01/asia/coronavirus-wuhan-discrimination-intl-hnk/index.html

Interesting opinion piece from The Guardian. 

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/feb/02/coronavirus-wuhan-lockdown-breeding-ground-fea...

Cathy545
Level 2
Colorado Springs, CO

I 100% agree!! I get some garbage email stating they are hosts also and basically understand our pain!? YOU HAVE A PAY CHECK COMING IN. I just turned off auto booking. Sick of getting the short end of the stick w/Airbnb. Some websites offer vacation protect/cancelation INSURANCE and Airbnb likes to get in to everyone's pocket book anyways (charge third party Insurance Company percentage for advertising on their website) have Airbnb add it automatically and they cover this type of garbage themselves or give the hosts the option TO REQUIRE THE PROTECTION ON EVERY BOOKING!! Thank goodness for other websites helping their HOSTS! I'VE TURNED OFF INSTANT BOOK with AIRBNB. Id prefer business from other websites.
Regards,
David and Cathrine
PS: I agree with taking their **bleep** temperatures when they arrive so we don't get ourselves or other guests sick. Some guests have gotten their own Insurance.
PSS: Works both ways with Instant book off. Other websites get priority and this is last on list!