The Cycle Continues

Kelmany0
Level 4
Ontario, Canada

The Cycle Continues

I am just getting back into hosting. I stopped when COVID hit. I started up, had a bad experience with an unauthorized party and damages which Airbnb payed out a portion, not all of the damages which prompted me to quit. I offer cancellations up to the day before but I cancelled many of my upcoming bookings out of fear of damages which put me at the high rate of 4 percent cancellations and then recently I started up again. I managed to stay diplomatic up until a recent guest who completely got under my skin. It’s plastered all over my listing, in the house rules, in my automatic messages, no parties, no events. What does this girl do, hosts a birthday party, tapes streamers, balloons and crap all over my walls, moves all my furniture “so nothing gets damaged”. Screaming, yelling, breaking glasses etc. I show up to discuss with the host and 3 other guests what happened the night before to find her hosting a yoga class in my living room with 9 of her guests. She cancels, gives me a bad review, which prompts me to snap. Airbnb won’t remove the review. She submitted a complaint to Airbnb that myself and my cohost went into their bedrooms without their permission and that prompted an investigation and my acct being momentarily frozen. According to Airbnb policy guests who host unauthorized party’s violate Airbnb policy but Airbnb do nothing but offer empty platitudes. It’s just so frustrating! I need to hear others nightmares so I have company in my frustrations! I know Airbnb doesn’t care. It’s like a battered wife syndrome, y’a just keep going back even though it hurts. 

2 Replies 2
Annie1372
Level 10
Montreal, Canada

@Kelmany0 

I see no one answered your post, I guest they were all the busy with their Christmas activities.

but if you search here on the search bar if the CC, you will find many (many,many) other horror story similar to yours

Annie
Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

@Kelmany0 It is not like battered wife syndrome Kelmany . I would truly ask what preventative measures have you been taking before your gusts arrive. you need firstly to communicate very clearly as to number of guests and ask for ids of all guests Before they arrive. Put it in your rules. If they are not forthcoming be prepared to cancel. Do not continue to host remotely if that is what you are doing and only use the lock box for people that you have previously hosted or those who are travelling late for some already disclosed satisfactory reason .Its no good busting into your own house after people have arrived and accusing them of things . You must do your due diligance before they arrive. communicate communicate communicate .I am sorry if you need tea and sympathy but unlike the battered wife ,please learn not to have this happen again. H