The unwitting benefactor to the arts

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

The unwitting benefactor to the arts

I am not sure that Airbnb realises what part it plays in the arts. It has become a benefactor, unwittingly I suspect. Thanks to Airbnb topping up the coffers of creatives around the world books have been written, paintings painted, houses adorned, new forms of expression explored. Things which would not have been possible without the extra funding. I have benefited myself, and have been able to relax my need for income in order to do things without the drive for money to be the foremost goal. We will never know just how much creative output has been the result of this platform. This to me is the true gift of Airbnb.
We don't all have philantropists, grants etc to help us.
I'm just finishing illustrating a couple of books at the moment, a paid job, but I would not have been given that opportunity if they hadn't seen another book which I made thanks to renting out on AIrbnb. Just thought I'd put it out there, if your creative endeavors have benefited from Airbnb, share!
6 Replies 6
Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Sandra126 

That's fabulous to see you illustrating books.

What is your greatest source of inspiration?

I recall you had one of your works in one of our Month of Celebration/ Festival of Hosting topics here in CC.

ABB sometimes have mentioned the Arts in there magazine.

The world is full of incredibly talented people.

One of my delightful guests pencil sketched me a rose picture which I must get framed.

I must remember to tell her when she hopefully makes it back up to the North Island before she flies back home... that at least 3 subsequent guests all noticed it and asked who drew it as they like it.

I was delighted to share the story behind it.

Art is a talent & therapy many turn to for stress realise & pleasure.

I wonder how many people at this given moment in time are drawing / sketching / painting... If you have, please share...

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

Thank you @Helen427 . At the moment my own work is solely inspired by this odd time we are in. Doing a graphic diary, being extremely productive. You can see it on Insta, if you are on that. Search for yoursistergeorge. I'm on page 44 of what  might be a book eventually.  The work I'm doing for others I can't show as I don't own it.

I do clear line comics. 

Melodie-And-John0
Level 10
Munnsville, NY

@Sandra126 , so true, the normal grind isn't always conducive to the type of work your doing, I have been blessed (RIP Mom) and cursed (she literally dressed me funny) to have a mother that was an artist, I've always been the artist helper and been doing progressive, techno-art preparator/ installation/ design work for famous and not so famous Artists in our University Museums and Galleries for 25 years.  

Both art and our ability to express ourselves in lots of interesting not normal ways we might not otherwise has been a great benefit of becoming Innkeepers that I never would have imagined.  Airbnb is the cherry on top, they do everything I dont know how to or don't want to (Market, run web sites, payment processing, customer service 24/7/365 and more) for less than <3% of my profit and leave the Inn Keeping to me and Melodie.  Its mostly all been great, stay well JR

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

Air BNB as initially conceptualized,  a shared home extra income gig, I totally agree with your post and like you have benefitted from more income that I didn't have to use for my basic budget.  While I expressed my "creativity" in decorating and renovating, I am just as pleased.

Now I did splurge on an original painting from a local artist because of the Air BNB money.  Something I always wanted to do but couldn't justify in my budget.  It is a large abstract painting (my first and only abstract) that I proudly display and love to direct others to this talented artist.

Great, I've done that too! More fun to buy art than flatware, even though we need that as well.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Such a powerful post @Sandra126, thank you so much for sharing your insight into this. I know there are several artist here in the CC and so it's great to hear that hosting has impacted your life so much. 

I also think the more people that can see your wonderful artworks the better. 

Thanks again.

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.