This is too cringy not to share

Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

This is too cringy not to share

I had an inquiry about three weeks ago from a couple wanting to come out for a night from the city...enjoy the hot tub under the stars, leave the kiddos at Grandmas. No problem. Only thing is, they are 'skeeved' at the idea of the security cameras, which we disclose, and are at the main entrance and the garage, all the better to see the TV should it decide to go for a walk. Are the cameras pointed at the hot tub, they want to know? Fair enough, I get it. But no, they are not, I say (that would just be creepy and I'm not a creepy person, but thanks for basically saying I must be, if not in so many words). Ok, that's great, they say. We will get back to you when we have a night in mind.

Today was the day I heard back from them: "Hi Colleen, are you getting a lot of bookings? I was expecting your rates to go down given the circumstances. We were looking at this Saturday or next, and were wondering if you updated your calendar." So, were they just waiting all this time for the 'Covid Special Pricing'??? Ick.

I think I'm going to pour a glass of wine, sit down and consider my response. Or maybe I'll just ignore them altogether, then pour another glass, lol. It's after 5 here.

10 Replies 10
Tommy150
Level 10
Buffalo, NY

I'm disappointed you waited until 5.  I'd just reply, I'm sorry, I'm not comfortable allowing you to book my place.  Best of luck in your search!

Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Tommy150  Actually, I don't think the '5 o'clock' rule applies currently, all things considered. Hard to keep track of what day or time it is anymore, anyway.

Kit45
Level 10
Calgary, Canada

Hi @Colleen253 ,

I hope you did not reduce your price and tell them to stay home!

The Alberta government ask us to stay home and no non-essential travelling in order to control the spread of the Coronavirus!

Cheers

Kit

Mika8
Level 10
Zürich, Switzerland

@Colleen253... send them an invitation with tripled the price .. and yes, that's the COVID-19 special pricing to recoup the losses.

btw. it's always after 5pm somewhere .. that's sufficient enough  ; )

Hi @Colleen253  ,

I agree with @Mika8  

Quote them a real high price and tell them it is due to extended Corona-cleaning.

Or You give them 3 options:

• $500: Standard 2019 cleaning = high risk to catch the virus

• $600: Extended Corona-cleaning = 50/50 chance to get sick

• $800: High professional desinfection = survival of the stay almost guaranteed

Ian-And-Anne-Marie0
Level 10
Kendal, United Kingdom

@Colleen253 

Its interesting that you say your guests were looking forward to a 'night' away. Under the circumstances, I would update my listing to a minimum of three nights and reduce the nightly rate by 10% and make the hot tub an extra charge. 

You can then mail your guests, thank them for their suggestion and tell them you have reduced your prices accordingly. 🙂

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Are you allowed to take bookings in you area for travellers. Here in the UK you can only accept bookings from key workers @Colleen253 

Mike-And-Helen0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Colleen253 as @Mika8 says it is 5pm somewhere.

Cheers!

Just say no. That's pretty nervy. There are plenty of hotels. This won't end well for anyone who takes their booking.

Roxanne77
Level 4
Grand Junction, CO

Been hosting for almost 5 years now and every single time someone comes in asking for a discount or special treatment of any kind they are bad guests. We especially don't host anyone who is worried about the security cameras. The only reason they could care is if they are planning to do something like sneak in extra guests or pets. You dodged a bullet!