Travel Insurance: Easy and Inexpensive for Guests, why don't Airbnb enforce it!

Michael303
Level 10
New Orleans, LA

Travel Insurance: Easy and Inexpensive for Guests, why don't Airbnb enforce it!

Travel Insurance is easy and inexpensive for Guests to purchase. The lack of travel insurance protection is devastating for Hosts!

I think it's beyond unfortunate for Airbnb, hosts and guests that Airbnb does on hold guest accountable for travel insurance. The simplest way to handle this is to explain travel insurance up front - prior to booking and let guests know it's their responsibility to purchase it or guests will be taking the risk themselves. Travel insurance has existed since the beginning of modern travel. Nothing new here...

1. Airbnb recommends travel insurance: Please follow all AirBnB suggestions (see link below) and make sure to purchase TRAVEL INSURANCE to protect your trip! <-- this is how I end my welcome email to guests. ** weblink censored**

2. Suggestion: if Airbnb wants to act like an insurance company and refund guests their money then charge a fee ($35 – $45 to be competitive with trip insurance companies) for that service.

3. If you drive a car without insurance and get into an "unforeseen" accident, you are responsible not the person you ran into. If you book a trip without travel insurance and something "unforeseen" happens, you are responsible not the person who is hosting you. 

4. I have to carry business interruption insurance, liability insurance, flood insurance, homeowners insurance, I even have to have a hotel policy on top of that on my building. All for the benefits of my guests and myself. It is insane that guests aren’t provided an option for travel insurance.

This part of the Airbnb - Host relationship is 100% unfair and unprofessional. Hosts are not Insurance companies. This policy is insane. Travel insurance has existed since the beginning of modern travel.

0 Replies 0