Turning off Instant Book and search results

Kia272
Level 10
Takoma Park, MD

Turning off Instant Book and search results

So, in the era of Covid 19, I decided that instant booking wasn't for me. I just want the chance to have a bit of information about who's coming and where they're coming from.My place is definitely a good option as it's a separate house and in a rural area, but I want to know where guests are coming from- like major city Covid hotspots definitely not preferred. I was aware that this would drop my listing lower in searches, but what AirBnB has done is completely ridiculous. It's actually doing a disservice to guests! 

I dropped WAAAAY lower in the search, but the thing that is really bothering me is that AirBnB is showing listings in other areas, across state lines, etc. above mine. That's so crappy for guests who are searching! If they put in Farmington, PA, they are being shown places in West Virginia, and many other small towns miles away, rather than mine (or other listings) in their area of focus. How is that good for guests? If i know where I want to stay, and AirBnB pulls up 20 listings in other areas, I'm going to be annoyed. I just don't see the justification here. It seems that penalizing the host and guest go hand in hand. The guest hasn't done anything wrong. In the eyes of AirBnB, I've done something "wrong" by turning off Instant Book. What's the solution? Reconfigure this algorithm, and/or adapt this policy for the changing times. Anybody got thoughts on this? 

11 Replies 11
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Kia272  I've never used IB and yes, it's totally unfair that that seems to be the main criteria for the algorithm for higher search placement. It's infuriating. Non-super hosts with ratings much lower than mine and some crummy reviews appear way above mine, just because they use IB. Of course, Airbnb wants hosts to use IB because they want bookings flowing in as fast and furious as possible- their service fees take precedence over our safety. I've never used IB because I'm a single woman who lists a private room in my home, so there are safety concerns that don't even have anything to do with COVID. And some hosts have stopped using IB because they had bad expeiences with IB guests and wanted more control over who gets accepted.

I'd love to see that search algorithm change.

Rebecca181
Level 10
Florence, OR

I agree, @Sarah977 @Kia272 . In this new 'pandemic'-influenced age, it is Airbnb's moral, ethical, and social responsibility to ensure that hosts and guests may freely communicate with each other prior to bookings being confirmed. We hosts should be allowed to encourage such critical communication without being punished and penalized via being banished to the bottom of the search listings because we do not have Instant Booking on. How about ranking us via guest reviews and hosting status, placing superhosts at the top of the search findings? Quality hosts willing to follow the new cleaning guidelines should also be featured at the top of the search findings as well. 

Kia272
Level 10
Takoma Park, MD

@Sarah977  I guess we can only hope that since AirBnB is having a come-to-Jesus moment, perhaps they'll rethink this. As a brand new host, I wanted the bookings enough to use IB. I've had some slightly weird guest experiences, although nothing disastrous (knock on wood.) Life as we know it has changed drastically in the last few months. I'm hoping that a change in this policy is possible. I think it's mostly really crappy for what it does to the search results on the guest end!

@Kia272  Here's another sneaky search thing Airbnb does that's crappy for guests- One of my guests told me she had to search 5 times before my place came up. It only appeared when she upped the max price she was filtering for to double what I charge, which she really couldn't afford. So Airbnb is trying to get guests to book more expensive properties so they can charge a higher service fee.

And this business where Airbnb promotes the notion that all guests prefer to IB? Maybe the majority do, according to their data, but there are certainly guests who don't. As a single woman who only hosts solo travelers in a private room/bath listing, I tend to get a lot of single (or at least travelling alone) female guests. Many have told me they'd never IB- they want to get a feel for the host they'll be staying with by exchanging a message or two before deciding to book , just as I want to get a sense of the guest.

And I have the same situation as you- Airbnb shows listings in towns other than mine, and in the nearest bigger city of Puerto Vallarta, along with listings for my town. P.V. is an hour away and if someone is looking to vacation in Sayulita, they aren't going to be looking for a place in P.V. They are two completely different vacation destinations. It would be like booking a place in Sacramento when all the activities you had planned were in San Francisco.

@Kia272  I did a test search for Farmington PA and your listing came up on the first page. 2 of the listings appearing before yours were in other towns, but they had a much higher number of reviews and, presumably, page views. They also had substantially lower prices. Several well-reviewed listings with Instant Book appeared after yours. 

Here's the thing, though:  I did that search with 2 basic filters, number of guests (I set it at 2) and dates (I chose the closest period of 3 nights on your calendar). Your listing looks very nice, but the ones appearing above yours in search were equally appealing and well-reviewed. There might have been some details in my own user profile that triggered different search results; I can't answer for the algorithm at work. I can only say that your listing is not buried or invisible to guests who are looking for what you are specifically offering. If you want to increase your catchment, though, you might consider experimenting with a lower base price with additional extra-guest fees. Pricing for a full group of 4 makes the listing less of a draw for a party of 2, especially once Airbnb's fees are added in. And sure, people will drive those extra miles to save $40 or $50 a night.

@Anonymous How nice of you to do that! I have been checking using another browser and not signed in to AirBnB, and my results were much more dismal than yours. I still struggle with the general concept though- the idea that guests are penalized by virtue of AirBnB "punishing" a host for not using Instant Book. 

I also appreciate your input on price, but I'm pretty firm on sticking to what I've got it listed at. I'm trying to attract a certain type of clientele, and I think keeping a price a bit higher is more likely to do that. 

I'm aware that some would drive extra miles to save $40 or $50, but I'm trying to target folks who value location over price, and it has worked out thus far. Fingers crossed it continues...

Thanks again for your input- it is very much appreciated!

@Kia272  No worries!  In my experience, the guests who prioritize location and quality will take the relatively easy steps of filtering their searches, comparing their options, and submitting requests.

Airbnb has all kinds of tactics to scare and manipulate hosts into behaviors that might work to Airbnb's advantage but not necessarily the hosts'. It's sadly common that newer hosts feel like they can't survive without Instant Book, that they'll be penalized for declining an inappropriate request, or that they can't enforce their rules or claim for damages out of fear of a non-5-star review. But I say, if your listing service is genuinely doing its job, it stays out of your way and lets you make these decisions without getting nagged by a bot. If it's not delivering the results you want, there are other platforms out there.

Susie0
Level 10
Oakland, CA

Airbnb needs to not penalize hosts for turning off instant booking. I've been wanting to turn it off but am afraid to. 😞 Not that I've gotten any bookings, but still, I have hope.

@Susie0  I understand, but at this very strange time in the world, I decided that I valued health and safety over bookings, so I just did it. I'm actually getting reservations (knock on wood) so I'm glad I took the plunge. Maybe AirBnB will do some thinking and change their priorities given the change in the travel industry. One can hope....

Sally221
Level 10
Berkeley, CA

I'm repeating myself I know but-

Sally221
Level 10
Berkeley, CA

(oops!] If you are hosting in an area like Alameda county which is still mostly under shelter in place, what sort of people are going to be looking to stay in your listing? People who don't think the rules apply to them & people who are either part of the medical response or are self quarantining.If you rent to someone who thinks they don't need to comply with the state & local mandates don't expect them to respect your rules or your space. It's tough right now, I know- for me, May was booked so solidly in the past I blocked out a few days for R&R but this is what it is. Lets hope for a vaccine & a regime change in Washington & better days ahead. Perhaps we won't have our state on fire this year!

Personally,  I found it ironic that when I turned off I.B. which had magically turned itself back on when I unblocked my calendar, I had to go  thru a rigamarole of "Are you sure want to turn off IB? Are you really, really sure? Now write an essay on why you want to do this terrible thing" I wrote in the reason box "The pandemic" and that was apparently too brusque so I filled the box with exclamation points to fulfill the length requirement. I agree with Kia272  that a guest who books because your place is perfect is better than a guest who books because of price and that Andrew0 is a nice guy. I will never master that tagging names thing!