UK hosts please stop advertising your place for 'co-vid' retreats and putting others at risk

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

UK hosts please stop advertising your place for 'co-vid' retreats and putting others at risk

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2020/apr/06/minister-condemns-airbnb-hosts-offering-covid-19-...

So ashamed to see some UK hosts are taking advantage of the recent pandemic and advertising their place 'as Co-vid retreats' contrary to recent legislation in the UK that bans all STRs except for those housing key workers, those attending a funeral (and other essential visits).

Don't you care that you are helping spread the risk of the virus in your community, or do you live somewhere else and don't care that you are putting others in another community at risk.

Airbnb you put a block on hosts with shared homes from advertising their listing. Why don't you do the same for those with whole listing in the UK, unless they are signed up to host through your key worker scheme.

70 Replies 70
Dimitar27
Level 10
Sofia, Bulgaria

The same here. No matter, that all STR activities are officially banned, more then 300 listings are still available for booking. No idea why they are keeping them active. The borders are closed, the airport is almost closed, most of the buses are stopped, rail services have been cancelled or reduced by 75-80%.

Sally221
Level 10
Berkeley, CA

I hope the roses bloom well for you this year. Long ago, I was given a tiny bottle of Bulgarian rose oil, it was the loveliest scent I've ever smelled that didn't come straight from a flower, it defined a summer for me and I always dreamed of seeing the fields of roses in person. (I know you live in the city but rosy wishes anyway)

It's too early for the roses. 🙂 The rose-picking process starts at the end of May.

Actually, the valley, where the roses grow, is not so far- 2-3 hours driving. I was there last summer. There is a new attraction nearby - "Valley of the Thracian Kings". Archaeological site with more then 1200 ancient tombs. Of these, about 300 have been archaeologically researched. Some of them are 2500 years old.

@Sally221 

It looks like the spring will come early this year:

92561277_2587155621574171_9137818641960534016_o.jpg

I hope the roses can be smelled thru the masks! I 'm remembering  the Fantastic Bulgarian band that played at the Northern Ca. Renaissance fair, It was my intro as a kid to Balkan rhythms  & minor chords, beautiful stuff to hear.

@Sally221  Some folk bands still perform abroad, but this music is not very popular outside of the Balkans region. One song is flying somewhere in the deep space with NASA's Voyager-1. I don't know the story behind this - some kind of plate with songs from different parts of the world, launched on a spaceship 40 years ago.

Pilar1
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/health-52008673/coronavirus-update-why-does-staying-at-home-help
Following on what @Sarah977 mentioned in her post this is something I saw back in March and thought it was a really clear visual explanation of the exponential growth of this virus and how we can all help by limiting exposure to an invisible enemy. 
Every time I read over here someone complaining about a cancellation because “there are no cases in my little corner of the world” my blood freezes in my veins. I’d like to say to all of them: What would you do to keep it that way? How would you feel if you were directly responsible for the first one? Can’t you see how easy it will multiply in just a few weeks time? 

I do hope that any listing advertising as Covid safe haven gets taken down immediately, with Easter literally around the corner it’s the last thing those communities need at this point in time.

Pilar1
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Tanks for posting this @Helen3 , not sure how many other shared homes calendars have been blocked, I received a message saying they were blocking mine but it’s only been blocked until April 15th. Shouldn’t it be until May 31st following their own Covid 19 extended extenuating circumstances for cancellation? 

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

@Pilar1 @Sarah977  ALL shared homes in the UK have been blocked until 15 April. Just out of interest I put the Easter dates into the search for my area, including places up to 20 miles away. 101 whole place listings came up as available! - Our government has banned all accommodation providers from hosting tourists/ non-essential travel, so whole place listings can only legitimately host key workers. Tho I doubt key workers would be willing/able to pay tourist prices for holiday cottages.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

No @Pillar1 15 April is correct as that is the date so far for our government's lock down. They are likely to extend when the government extends the lock down period.

It isn't anything to do with Airbnb EC for the virus policy dates.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Pilar1 My shared home calendar hasn't been blocked at all so far. Not that I'm going to accept any guests.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

It’s a UK thing @Sarah977  @Jessica-and-Henry0  

@Pilar1 

I have a shared home (private room) listing and my calendar has not been blocked either. All guests need to make a booking request for my listing (I don't use IB) so while I have no plans to host anyone, I decided to keep my calendar open so that I still show up for searches. 

@Jessica-and-Henry0  Same here. No IB, and I haven't blocked the calendar, but I certainly haven't gotten any requests, either. 

THeir stupid. Wish health for everybody!!