Unauthorized refund

Unauthorized refund

We had a guest whom was due to arrive the next day and unfortunately came up with Covid.

Airbnb without our permission gave the guest a full refund.  So why waste your money buying travel or cancellation insurance!,  Cancel at the last minute and they will refund you and leave the owner holding the bag.  Not right that they can do as they want with the owners/ host money.   Anytime we have made a claim for damages we have received no support or compensation.  It’s a one way street.  Will put more effort into using VRBO.

2 Replies 2

@Ricardo1472 It's been Airbnb's policy for over a year that guests qualify for a full refund if any member of their group test positive for Covid. Insurers won't reimburse travelers for cancellation costs when they're eligible for a refund by other means, so unfortunately that makes hosts the de facto Covid insurance.

I don't agree with the policy, but you're about the 10000th host to complain about it to no avail. How is VRBO handling these cancelations? 

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Anonymous,

I've not received a cancellation request on Vrbo, but do require my guests to purchase an insurance policy through them when booking.  The following link is a review of Vrbo's Elite Premium policy by a competing insurance provider.  I like the example it provides about how the plan works:  https://www.aardy.com/blog/vrbo-travel-insurance-review/.