Undisclosed Security camera inside the rental

Seth155
Level 1
Versailles, MO

Undisclosed Security camera inside the rental

So, I am staying in an air BNB in North Carolina, and when we got to the place, there was a camera inside the condo, pointing at the inside of the front door. I thought that maybe I had missed the mention in the ad, but looked back and there is no disclosure. Obviously I don't know if the person knew that it was violating policy to not disclose the camera in the listing. What would be my best course of action? I'm not worried about the camera being there, I did check around and that appears to be the only one. I did put a washcloth over the camera, and plan to address it without vengefulness, and I don't want to get them kicked off... 

Do I just address it with them and tell them about the rules, or do I address it with air BNB?

3 Replies 3
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Seth155  Yes, cameras have to be disclosed, whether outdoor or indoor. And yes, it would be kind of you to address that with the host privately, as Airbnb will rake them over the coals for that and likely delist them.

The camera is obviously not there for the purpose of spying on guests, as it only points to the inside of the front door- perhaps putting an outside camera focused on the door is against condo rules. It's obviously there to monitor that only the registered guests are staying, not sneaking in more people. Door cameras, whether inside or outside, also are security for the guests, in case of a break and enter.

But the host needs to add that camera disclosure to his listing, for sure. And if a camera is disclosed, a guest is not at liberty to cover it.

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Seth155  While I think it's best to be direct and go to the host, I understand your hesitation.  How to word it so they don't get angry, defensive, spiteful, or anything else.  On balance however I would go to the host and just say you saw it, were surprised because it wasn't disclosed in the listing, hope they don't mind that you put a washcloth over it as they've already ascertained that only the booked guests have come in.  That puts the ball in their court.

Seth155
Level 1
Versailles, MO

I talked to the host via air BNB chat. They were surprised it didn't come up, since from their side it showed that they had a camera. Seems it was a glitch from air BNB. They were appreciative of my letting them know. 

Now I have three more air BNB places in staying at in this trip. Hope they're all good too.