Unemployment Assistance for US Hosts.

Unemployment Assistance for US Hosts.

Hello everyone!

According to Airbnb's CEO, Brian Chesky, we may be able to file for unemployment.

"We have worked together to secure support for hosts in the US Government’s recent COVID-19 Stimulus Bill.
This legislation now allows for US hosts to take advantage of many relief measures, including small business grants, small business loans, and unemployment assistance. A huge thank you for the more than 105,000 calls and emails you made to members of Congress. "

Does anyone know how to apply????
Thanks!

Maria

9 Replies 9
Beth334
Level 2
Monticello, IL

I am trying to go thru my states unemployment but the questions do not apply for small business. Anything you learn would be helpful. 

Kathy899
Level 4
Hawaii, United States

When I went to my state's website, this was a link for applying under the CARES Act.  But I did not get back any confirmation that my application had gone through.   

Kelly654
Level 1
Seattle, WA

Came here looking for answers regarding the exact same thing. When I tried to apply, it pulled up information for my job but I had no ability to pull up anything regarding self employed loss of income. 

Flavia191
Level 2
Boston, MA

Challenge is that most states are not letting self-employed (category we fall under) folks apply for unemployment. Pretty devastating since we lost all of our hosting revenue from March, April, and most of May. Wait continues...

Waiting......

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

Normally rental income doesn't count as 'employment' so unless there is some kind of special caveat for vacation rentals in the stimulus package or unless someone has an LLC and has been paying themselves a salary, I don't see that at least in the US hosts can get unemployment for lost guest fees.  But, please if I am wrong someone correct  me. 

Flavia191
Level 2
Boston, MA

@Mark116and folks, that is part of the CARES Unemployment Act. AirBnbn hosts as well as Uber drivers, et al will be able to claim unemployment, but states are slow to respond on guidelines. For example, here in Mass, they are working on it but still no updates: https://www.mass.gov/alerts/cares-act-unemployment#undefined

Hope this helps! Waiting continues...

Pandemic unemployment assistance . Yes, the states are very slow in making this available for people .

Tim670
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

Still waiting in Los Angeles County as well....