WWYD: Review or not to Review

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

WWYD: Review or not to Review

Stayed in a place recently. Host has already reviewed me and I'm torn about writing a review. I'd like to hear your thoughts...

Pros: host is a very friendly & speedy communicator

I didn't pay alot bc SH coupon and non-busy dates

Neutral: they have several (<20) listings

they're in a location where real estate is cheap and there are enough high demand dates that they'll be successful financially and otherwise just from existing

Cons: there were things that I didn't think were that great, but a few simple changes would help immensely (thin drapes and blaring 24 hour security lights shining into windows, 1 tiny towel hook: 2 guests/2 days/2 towels, nowhere to sit anything down in the bath other than on top of closed toilet)

the listing was upbeat but lacked some detail about fairly important things. (really difficult parking, proximity to other rooms, shared hallways, construction happening on all sides)

there are only a handful of photos and one of them is of a door hinge

there is construction residue that makes the whole bath seem grimy (I'm sure it was "cleaned" but it wasn't really "clean")

there were things that I didn't think were that great but maybe that's just personal preference (naked box spring, pillows like overinflated balloons, collected art and furniture that felt like garage sale castoffs)

the place is billed a boutique hotel, but it's more like a poorly converted 12x12 room in an office building with a queen bed.

So: we all know that ABB considers a 5* review a floor, not a ceiling. And I was there as a guest, not as a 'your ABB needs some help' consultant. So, I could just 5* review everything (I really want to see what the review process looks like from the Guest side!) and not say anything about the not so great parts. Or I could use the 4s that I think the space merits in terms of accuracy, cleanliness or value but I don't feel good about that. Or I could not review and tell him a few tips privately. Or I could just keep my mouth shut about the whole thing.

Final detail: this block of rooms is the host's newest offering so it doesn't have but 1 review yet, though he has close to 300 total reviews on other properties.  On popular dates people will be paying 500+ /night for this space. And this guy just converted a building to a hotel in the worst travel time any of us can remember. His upcoming calendar is entirely blank.

34 Replies 34
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Kelly149 

Yes, write a review.

There is only 1 review now, so host can use a second one, with usefull remarks and fair ratings. I am sure you can find the right wording for it, so the host can take advantage with it to improve his accommodation and listing.

@Emiel1 "fair ratings" this is the trouble, as @Ute42 points out a 4* shouldn't be the end of the world, and maybe even in this case it isn't, but as a fellow host I feel bad about it knowing the crummy system that ABB has left us with.

I also feel the weight of not being one of those 'well, at my place....' kinds of host

I think my thoughts would be echoed by most guests and he would be better off in the long run with some improvements but a review is forever and we've all been beaten up a fair amount in these last lousy months.

Ute42
Level 10
Germany

@Kelly149 

I can tell from Your post that You weren't 100% happy. If this is the case, express it.

I think we should all get away from the delusion, that a 4* review is a catastrophy and that the world will go under over it.

@Ute42 true, I wasn't 100% happy, but I wonder if this is just the ABB way? I've spent 4 SH coupons over the last 4 years and all four places were OK. Well, one looked like it was an accident waiting to happen, but I know not to throw myself thru gaping holes in closets that lead to basements, but the others were mostly OK. Maybe that's what 5* means on ABB: "this place is OK" and I just need to readjust my expectations.

Or maybe @Helen427 is right and I'm actually better suited to a Hotel.

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Thanks @Kelly149  

Good to see you  Always looking on the bright side of life 👍 

Can just visualize those gaps....a bit like a friend's neighbours unlawful works that now have  a metal structure holding up there deck awaiting to slide in the next lot of heavy rain we have...

Thank goodness it's not an ABB!

Michelle53
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Kelly149  Perhaps some of the "recommended improvements" could go into the private feedback rather than the public feedback, since that could be another host's perspective, rather than a guest's perspective. 

In terms of the public feedback, it's probably fairest to stick to the facts of your actual stay. 

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Kelly149  great to see you having a break & hope the rest of your travel was enjoyable.

Yes you must review & include that as a new property on ABB they "at the time" were still undertaking construction / renovations on the property, ESP if it's not mentioned in the listing.

Re your suggestions abt the hooks for towels etc, send them as Private comments btwn you & the host.

Were the security lights on 24/7?

Or sensor lights that come on when living creatures wander into the area it picks up?

If they are on 24/7 suggest they adjust the settings.

Good luck writing your review & remember to take screenshots as you do!

lol, they can't say Guest was better suited to a hotel 🏨😉 

What, a whole post without a single complaint about the New Zealand government? Progress! I'm proud of you.

@Kelly149  It sounds like the problems boiled down to: a) the photos and descriptions were incomplete, and b) the building itself is incomplete. In the public review, I'd describe it as a "work in progress" and advise prospective guests to inquire about the status of the construction, the Covid protocol, and the parking situation before booking the property.  

I generally don't give feedback about hosts' styling and furnishing choices if the listing had adequate photos, but I would privately recommend that they add more images so that guests have a better sense of the space. 

But here's where it gets so absurd with the 5-star default. I doubt the hosts who post on here are truly representative, but the overwhelming majority take non-5-star ratings as an act of violence; even with 4 stars, they reflexively call the review "false" or "unfair" and seldom seem willing to actually learn from the feedback. As a guest, I tried to split the difference once by giving the host 5 stars across the board but conveying in the private feedback that everything was great aside from one pretty serious issue - in this case, a broken bathroom door that could not be opened from the inside. I thought surely they would get this fixed before the next guest, lest someone get trapped inside. But over a year later, I look back at the listing's reviews and see they've let that problem persist, and their current ratings are abysmal. 

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

just to clear up... this building is fully "done" with construction, but is in an area where lots of construction is still happening around them and the construction inside was done such that the bathroom will likely look and feel grimy forever (didn't properly wipe the grout/mastic)

@Anonymous I definitely don't want to tell them that their paint is too stark, the rug is too small, and a random old office chair isn't a good addition to a sleeping room. But if they haven't slept/showered in the space then they may just not know these other things like hooks and a shelf in the bathroom and getting better drapes and they really would be easy effective fixes, but as you've noted Hosts don't always respond well to anything less than "Wow! We loved it!"

The other types of missing info on the listing:

The parking was difficult enough that if you had anything a smidge over a totally ordinary vehicle then you won't make it around the building, which is fine, but it's worth being really clear about in the listing. The listing just said: you get 1 parking space without specifying the really tight navigation.

It said there were security cameras but didn't specify where.

You were told you were in Room 4, but then they had reused industrial signage from a local landmark which included a 4 but had some other stuff as well that made me nervous if we were or weren't in the right place.

My listing is just about as wordy as they come though so I wasn't sure if I'm just off-base on the detail concern.

@Kelly149 OK, so the actual construction of the building is complete, but the fine-tuning of the space clearly hasn't happened yet. Personally, I've been grateful for the guests who privately suggested details that could improve their experience, especially ones that were easy fixes. And it's such a shame that Airbnb inserts so much unnecessary baggage into that dialogue with all the stars and silly badges - we should be constantly improving and evolving with the help of honest feedback, not fearing punishment when an imperfection comes to light. 

But I wouldn't go so far as to criticize the sloppy DIY. It seems to me that if this host would just put comprehensive photos in, guests who cared about these kind of details would know what to expect.  The first thing anyone sees in my listing is an expanse of rough old concrete wall; it's of a piece with the whole neighborhood, whose character is gritty and improvised and wears its layers of history like tattoos. It's intended to send a message about the type of guest I intend to attract, and most of the time it's worked - people come for a bohemian experience, not a boutique one. Your host was probably making a play for the wrong market with his listing title, but better photos would be the easiest correction.

(FWIW I never mention the bathroom in reviews because as long as the door works, I never even remember it. If I see that room for more than a few minutes, something has gone horribly wrong with my holiday)

I don't know how relevant the construction thing is - I guess if a particular aspect of your stay was strongly affected by it - like really persistent jackhammers - that might be worth a disclaimer. If it's just a general construction-y vibe, I'd file that with "aesthetic concerns, unworthy of mention."

@Anonymous for all the messages of yours that I've read, I've never popped over to your listing, until tonight. I really like it!! and, yes, some more detail would have helped in this situation. It is a fine line between putting your best foot forward against the old fish-eye lens giving a false sense of what will be there.

@Kelly149  Thanks Kelly, and when we get to the other side of this strange time and Americans are allowed here again, you are most very welcome!

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Kelly149  If this were a brand new host, I'd go easy and make suggestions in private feedback. But you say this host has almost 20 listings and 300 reviews.

Sorry, but this isn't a 5* place to me as you describe it. It certainly isn't a "boutique hotel". And you say that the location and high demand dates are such that the host will be successful simply from existing. So a 4* review isn't going to tank his listing. And he isn't a host who has one listing, like you, or me, who might take things so personally, he's a real estate investor.

If a previous guest had mentioned many of the things you have here, would you have booked this listing? I suspect not. So it seems to me that you owe it to future guests to be honest. How else will a host think it's important to change things that need changing, or even know that guests were displeased?

I would send private feedback about the things that would have made your stay (and that of future guests) more comfortable, like more towel hooks, some shelving in the bathroom, more than one towel each (I've always thought a bath towel, a hand towel, and a washcloth are kind of basic, and I actually give my guests 2 bath towels, because women often like to wrap one around their wet hair, especially if it's long), and maybe even the blaring night light and insufficient drapes, as it's highly likely he's never been in there at night to realize how nasty it is. You don't have to suggest those things as if you're a superior host giving him the benefit of your experience, just say it like any guest would- "We would have appreciated...." and "You may not realize because you've never tried to sleep in there at night, but that security light...."

In the public review, I would say how friendly and communicative the host was, and anything else positive, like that it was clean (and smooth check-in, maybe?) but say that there were things that should have been mentioned in the listing, like the difficult parking, the construction all around (and if that was noisy, for sure speak to that), the shared hallway, etc. Not that that would be a reason not to book, just that they should be disclosed, so guests can decide for themselves if that would an issue for them. As far as the construction work inside that will always make the place look grimy, maybe a "not a lot of attention to the tile finish work in the bathroom construction, so the "boutique hotel" description doesn't seem quite accurate, but it didn't really affect our stay".

So the things I'm saying I'd mention in private feedback are all things the host can take on board and change if he wishes to (although, as Andrew says his experience was when he did just that, the host paid no attention to it and the guests were still mentioning it in reviews a year later) whereas the things in the public review are things he can't do anything about, but should have disclosed in the listing description .