We have a party that wants to rent for the next 84days and just asked for reservation 2 days ago

Terri292
Level 2
Lexington, NC

We have a party that wants to rent for the next 84days and just asked for reservation 2 days ago

So it's a couple that asked to start renting today, but I had some questions for them first, so I thought that would be the end of it, but they are still asking about internet speeds and if the can rent until mid-march. All her reviews are glowing and say almost the same thing AND they are from every month in 2020 from about April on. We are nervous about renting so long but would love the income if it's legit. I asked if they had a home because I noticed they change airbnb's every month, and she said yes, that they are visiting various cities looking for a place to move and don't want to move all their stuff until they find the right place. 

So, what are the things that I should watch out for? My spidey senses are really tingling, but we don't want to be mean, make assumptions, or give up the income. 

Is there any way to protect ourselves from potential squatters? Are there any other reasons not to rent to them in your opinion?

14 Replies 14
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Terri292 

If you are not used to "long term stays", you should read the specific terms first on Airbnb Help, for example:  What i should consider before hosting longterm guests

If i am in doubt, but willing to give it try,  i useally offer a 1 month stay, with option to extend.

But if i feel uncomfortable with a request, i trust my senses and decline.

Thank you for your thoughts and i will read that article now. I appreciate your help.

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Terri292  I had some long-term bookings this year for the first time, and I required every one of them to accept a weekly cleaning.  That I paid for.  Because you need to get in there every week and make sure everything's in good shape.

That is a good idea! Did you not have any concerns that they would get out when the rental period was up?

@Terri292 You need to know at what point people gain tenant rights in the jurisdiction your listing is in. If you have Airbnb guests who stay two weeks and don't want to leave once their booking has ended, they become trespassers and have no right to stay. If the same guests stay long enough to gain tenant rights, and refuse to leave, you face a long, difficult and expensive battle in trying to remove them. 

Yes, this is our fear. Thank you

@Terri292  Not really, but definitely listen to what @Colleen253 says and maybe get your real estate attorney to draw up a simple rental agreement to give you protection.  Worth the cost, I would think.

Yes, good idea

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Terri292,

As @Colleen253 points out, you need to know what are the short-term rental and tenant's right regulations where your listing is located.  In Georgia, a short-term rental is less than 90 days.  I accept long-term stays, but insist that my guests make multiple 30 day bookings for not longer than three consecutive months instead of one long multi-month reservation to insure that I receive payment each month, because Airbnb only guarantees the first month's payment (search this board about non-payment for long-term stays), and to cover the cleaning fee.  Also, the 30 day stays gives us both an easy out if either of us determine that the arrangement is no longer a good fit.  My rental is connected to my home, and I think that had helped keep people in line as far as not creating damages.  Next month, we will have a returning guest that will stay for three months.  Since we will not be onsite for the full duration of his stay, similar to @Ann72, we will require regular cleanings, but it will occur every two weeks.

I think you have a very nice space, and it's a very good price for two people, but you are downright giving it away for eight people. The monthly rate for eight people breaks down to $11.38 per person/per night, excluding taxes and fees.  Is it only a couple that wants to stay in the place?  If so, I would question why they need three bedrooms.  Update you house rules, and be emphatic that only registered guests may stay overnight in the space.  Unless you're going to have regular cleanings done, the $100 cleaning fee for most short-term rentals, will likely not be enough, and the place will need an extra-deep cleaning after a three month stay.

Thank you so much. You are all

so helpful and are putting my mind at ease about this

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Terri292 This is actually quite common. This year alone I have hosted two sets of guests who have been living out of Airbnb's for over a year. I have read some articles/blogs about others. Especially now that working from home is more common, more and more people are doing this. I think it's kind of an enticing lifestyle. Living in some really nice places for a few weeks/months (that may not be affordable otherwise) and not having to worry about running a household and the bills that come along with it. Even better if your work covers a portion of your living expenses!

Terri292
Level 2
Lexington, NC

Very good points! I think we will give it a second thought

Heather1086
Level 9
Boring, OR

We had some long-term renters who were wanting to visit Oregon from Ohio this past fall.  They were fantastic guests, but I would only allow them to book for 29 nights, 30 gives tenant rights.  We had our housekeeper go in mid stay and do a clean, which I charged them for.  I would only do it again for the right people... it has to be a good match.  Also, we had to get some extra things for the house that we don't usually need for short-term renters, like mop, additional cleaning supplies, etc.  Make sure your house is set up for people to stay for more than a week.

Terri292
Level 2
Lexington, NC

Good thoughts and we did respond that we only allow up to 30 day stays and haven’t heard back yet.