What happened to the "Strict" in the Strict Cancellation Policy???

Mark3227
Level 2
Vancouver, Canada

What happened to the "Strict" in the Strict Cancellation Policy???

When I originally selected the "Strict" cancellation option, I understood it meant that I would receive 50% no matter when guests cancelled and 100% if the guest cancelled with less than 30 days. Not sure when this change to the Strict cancellation policy took place.

The new Strict cancellation policy does not work for me because it makes no sense for me to rent to guests who can cancel their reservation with as little as 7-days notice prior to check in and I would only receive 50% of the rental amount.

I have now moved my listing to the new "Strict or Non-refundable cancellation policy terms: In addition to Strict, offer a non-refundable option—guests pay 10% less, but you keep your payout no matter when they cancel. More details".

However, am not sure what this means. When I select "More details" I am redirected to Airbnb's standard cancellation page, with no information about what "Strict or Non-Refundable" actually means. They show a "Super Strict 30 days" and Super Strict 60 days", but they don't allow me to select either of these options in their drop-down menu. If they gave me the option, I would select the "Super Strict 30 days" as I believe this was what the “Strict” cancellation policy used to be. Unfortunately, this policy is by invitation only to certain hosts under special circumstances.

Perhaps it is just my opinion, but Airbnb should stop pretending they care about hosts. They are full of talk about how important hosts are to them and their success. Yet, time and time again they make unilateral decisions that negatively impact hosts. During this COVID crisis, VRBO has been a dream to work with because they consider guest and hosts equally. Unlike Airbnb who favors guests at the full expense of hosts. Airbnb’s lake of transparency and mixed messaging to guests and hosts is not just frustrating. It is very poor business

5 Replies 5
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Mark3227 
The strict cancellation policy has always only vaguely protected 50% of the payout (minus cleaning fees etc)

The strict non -refundable is NOT WORTH THE PAPER IT IS WRITTEN ON as you lose 10% and guests can still use the Extenuating Circumstances policy in place prior to Covid 19 to cancel for a full refund.

To avoid Extenuating Circumstances you would need to change to a different letting platform I am afraid

Rich16
Level 1
Canada

Agreed. I wholeheartedly agree with you. Airbnb doesn’t give a care in the world about hosts.

Jenny112
Level 2
Larchmont, NY

There used to be a no cancellation policy option. I’m not sure what happened to it. The new ‘strict’ cancellation policy is hardly strict and doesn’t work for me either. It’s terrible that we don’t have the ability to control our listing and property the way we want. If a guest doesn’t want to book my ‘no cancellation policy’ listing, then they book something else. It’s simple. Now hosts are forced to take this ‘strict’ policy which is not ‘strict’ and we’re the ones losing money out of pocket with cancellations. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Jenny112  What do you mean "no cancellation policy"? That would mean a guest could cancel whenever they wanted and get fully refunded.

Are you referring to the non-refundable policy? As far as I'm aware, that's still an option, but Airbnb has been known to override it, rendering it pointless.

Yes, I mean ‘no refund policy’. That’s the option I want. I don’t see listed with the options.  Do you know how I can select that option for my listing?