What to do about unfair 1-star review?

What to do about unfair 1-star review?

I had a guest stay in my Airbnb a few weeks ago for 2 nights. There was a small leak from the unit upstairs into the Airbnb's bedroom ceiling. The guest did not stay for the 2nd night (even though I have another bed in the other room) and found other accomodations. At first I offered a refund of only the 2nd night, though eventually I gave the full refund to resolve the headache. 

Afterwards, the guest gave me a 1-star review, citing the leak as the main if not only complaint. 

It's also worth noting that the guest who actually stayed in my Airbnb was not the person who booked it. (I know this because a woman booked it and when I went to the unit during the leak, a man was staying there.) 

This review really hurt me a lot because I did not have many other reviews, and so it brought down my average dramatically (even though my other reviews are almost all 5 stars and I have Superhost status). New bookings dried up -- even at the busiest time of year -- and I've had to lower my rates. 

I contacted Airbnb and they refused to take it down, saying it does not violate their policies. 

Does anyone have any advice about what to do? I'm on the verge of deleting my Airbnb listing and posting it on VRBO or another site instead. I really do not think it is fair that something completely out of my control can hurt me so badly. I cannot exaggerate how badly this one review has hurt me financially. I am beyond frustrated and upset.

Please help -- any advice is appreciated. Thank you!

6 Replies 6

@Eitan13 I assume you're referring to the review from K****e, even though another review from the same month also mentions an overflowing sink. Unfortunately, there's nothing about that review that violates policy or merits removal. Every host who gets a bad review feels it's unfair, so you're not alone there, but in this case it sounds like an honest reflection of a stay that, despite your best efforts, was genuinely unsatisfactory to the guest. (The third-party booking issue ceases to be relevant once you've let the person check in.) 

Undeniably this will put some people off from booking, but I don't think censorship is the answer. Instead, post a contrite Host Response to both reviews, addressing prospective guests to assure them that the flooding and leakage issues have been resolved and the renovation is complete (if this happens to be true).

You might lose Superhost this quarter, but you can restore your reputation in part by blocking off dates when construction or other issues might hinder your ability to deliver an optimal experienc. In the shorter term, setting a low minimum stay across all listings and taking lots of short bookings is the fastest way to change your average score. 

Thank you for the response, Andrew, I appreciate it. Yes, that is the review I'm referring to. 

I didn't mention the other review because I felt that other review was fair. The leak issues were unrelated -- the review I am referring to discusses a leak that occurred in the unit above mine. I was not doing renovations. The other 1-star review refers to a clogged sink in the actual unit (sounds related but entirely unrelated) -- at least this was in my unit, so I feel it is somewhat fair, though 1 star sounds very harsh to me for a clogged sink. 

Regarding the 3rd party booking issue, I have a smart lock, so I don't actually see or know who is checking in. Is there a way to prevent this in the future? If you are booking for another person, don't you have to tell me in advance? 

It says in Airbnb's policy that reviews should be relevant and that something outside of your control is considered irrelevant. Doesn't that apply here? (Again, I'm discussing only the review with the leak that occurred above my unit.) 

Good idea with shorter bookings. 

@Eitan13 I don't think you could successfully challenge the review in relevancy grounds. When they talk about circumstances beyond your control, they basically mean issues outside of your property, like traffic or bad weather. I'm sure the leak situation was purely bad luck and not your fault, but it's definitely relevant that the guest experienced it inside the home. At this point I'd focus on drafting a solid response rather than trying to silence the unflattering words. 

As far as third party bookings go, it's totally up to hosts to control who gets access to the property and how they check in. You have the right to cancel without penalty if you learn before check-in that the registered guest won't be present. You may conduct check-in in person, require ID, and turn away guests who don't meet your listed check-in requirements (though you lose the payout if you do). But Airbnb doesn't care who gets into your house as long as they get their money - if you prefer use self-check-in and and illegitimate guest comes in, Airbnb considers it your mess to clean up, not theirs. I guess if you use one of those doorbell cameras, you could ask guests to present their faces and/or IDs on arrival to remotely unlock access, but personally I feel nothing really beats having a live person there to greet the guests whenever possible. 

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

While you have two listings, one listing has only one review.  Fortunately the listing with the most reviews has sufficient positive reviews that recovery of your rating will be quick.  As @Anonymous points out, we all get reviews we don't think we deserve but few will be removed.  Why didn't you provide a response to review?  When you do that, it helps put the review into context for potential guests, who are your audience for your response.  Do as @Anonymous suggested if you can still do that.

Also, your lead picture is not at all enticing, so consider swapping out for one that is more eye catching than a picture of stackable washer/dryer.  Also, your allowing 7 guests in a one bedroom condo seems a bit too many and not at all luxurious.  Consider allowing fewer guests.  Just a thought

Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

@Eitan13, I agree with @Anonymous  and @Linda108. We all get unjustified bad reviews sometimes, and it hurts! You feel so wronged, especially when it is something beyond your control or because the guest hasn't read the listing properly (which has been my experience of negative reviews). However, you otherwise have great reviews, so I suggest letting it go. It's probably too late now, but it is always good to post a public response to negative reviews, something respectful and matter of fact (never emotional), showing that you are apologetic but also putting it in context for any prospective guests. You still have a relatively high rating, and you will regain your superhost status if you lose it this quarter. I understand it's frustrating, but these things do happen from time to time. It's the nature of the business I'm afraid. 

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Post removed as requested by OP 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen