Why do people with pet allergies rent properties that cater to pets?

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

Why do people with pet allergies rent properties that cater to pets?

I have a guest who booked several months ago.  She has recently informed me that her husband is allergic to dogs and she hopes that my cleaner will remove all the pet dander when she cleans for Covid.  Why on earth do people with pet allergies book properties that cater to pets?  Probably 80% of my guests bring a pet.  

5 Replies 5
Sharon1014
Level 10
Sellicks Beach, Australia

@Lorna170   Because she didn't read the full listing details before booking.  I'd just msg her saying the cabin is cleaned to covid standards but that it isn't possible to sanitise the outside areas including deck and yard, does she want to cancel the booking since you want to make sure your place is a good fit for their needs.  That booking is going to be trouble.

@Lorna170  I hear ya. Probably for the same reason that people ask for discounts instead of finding a place that suits their budgets, or choose places with a strict cancellation policy but go mental when the host upholds it. If I were being generous, I'd assume that people like this simply lacked the foresight to account for contingencies when making their plans.

However, your guest's wording strongly suggests that she's setting you up for entrapment and fully intending to use Airbnb's gaping loopholes around Covid to squeeze you for a refund the minute she spots a stray hair. The recent cleaning mandate appears to grant guests a full refund if they accuse a host of not following the protocols, and your guest has already drawn a straight line between adherence to the Cleaning Standards and the presence of allergens (real or imagined). 

I would never advise hosting guests who demand an allergen-free experience, especially when their problem could be easily solved by choosing a more appropriate listing. Guests who ask are entitled to know what cleaning processes you use in preparation for their stay, but I recommend adding the caveat that you can't guarantee an experience free from pet-related allergens - and suggesting that those with a high degree of sensitivity cancel and book elsewhere.

One thing to note: the fact that you're pet-friendly makes your listing an especially poor fit for this guest, but Airbnb's disability policy largely prohibits Entire Home hosts from refusing assistance animals or emotional-support animals, who shed just as much dander as a  plain old pet. As long as this controversial policy is in place, people with animal allergies should not assume that a "no pets" home hasn't been occupied by someone's Emotional Support Buffalo or whatever.

Sharon1014
Level 10
Sellicks Beach, Australia

@Anonymous    "Emotional Support Buffalo"  Hilarious!! 😂

Ute42
Level 10
Germany

@Lorna170 

Already in line 5 of Your listing description You state:

• We are pet friendly, $75 fee for up to 2 pets per visit.

Under houserules it says:

• Pets are allowed.

I think You ask a very good question: Why did these people book Your place. I would ask them this question right into their faces:

• Why did You book my pet friendly place if You are allergic to pet dander?

Don't be apologetic, be agressive. Try to make them cancel their stay. This stay will be trouble. I don't know how much money this reservation is, but be prepared that You may not receive the amount of money You expect, if any, and that there may be lot of discussions going on. Maybe not worth it.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

" I'm sorry, but as pet-friendly listing, while we do make sure the place is thoroughly cleaned, we cannot guarantee the absence of allergens for those who have dander allergies. As there are more no-pets listings than pets-allowed listings, I don't understand why you booked a pet-friendly listing if you have allergies to dander. It would be advisable for you to cancel this booking and find a place that better suits your requirements."

@Lorna170