With love from China

Ian-And-Anne-Marie0
Level 10
Kendal, United Kingdom

With love from China

Out of the blue using their original booking messaging system we received a lovely trail of messages from a Chinese group we hosted over two years ago. It was very touching that they would think of us, lovely to hear from them and more to hear that they cared.

Here is their message:

Dear Ian and Anne-Marie,

How is everything going?  Time flies! It has been more than 2 yrs since my family and I visited your lovely house.   My parents have being always

I heard that the COVID-19 outbreak is getting worse in the UK.

My parents and I are worried about you. I hope you and your family doing well. But please let me know if you lack of face mask or any necessary protective equipments,  we are very willing to send you some.  China just went through the outbreak fighting, so we have some extra left.

In the last few months, Chinese people have vitnessed many people's lives are taken away because of the coronavirus. I hope the tragedy won't happen again in other places. Please do take care and be cautious. If I can do any favor,  feel free to let me know.

My parents and I are missing you and wishing you all the best.  Love from China❤️🇨🇳

I don't think they have much in the part of China they come from, but it is heartwarming that what little they have they are willing to share.

10 Replies 10

@Ian-And-Anne-Marie0 So loving! That's my experience with China's peoples too.  Every trip I've made there has been pure joy and every guest from China has been incredible as well. Savor that love!

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Ian-And-Anne-Marie0  What wonderful people. Terri, from New Zealand just posted a similar story- a couple that had stayed with her called to check that she was okay.

Accept the mask offer- if you don't need them, someone else might. I've always been the kind of person who has a hard time with people accepting gifts, but then someone once told me "If you don't receive graciously, you deprive the other person of the joy of giving".

@Sarah977 

I agree. I told her we would only accept her offer if it didn't put her family at risk and offered to reimburse her any costs. We managed to secure a small supply of masks before this all blew up, which will get used if venturing out. We'll send any excess to NHS wards to help their supply.

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

That is wonderful.

Melodie-And-John0
Level 10
Munnsville, NY

@Ian-And-Anne-Marie0 , how wonderful is that?  We also had guests from Chonqing China that have become our friends.  Jinmei has been "we chatting" back and forth since the outbreak in china filling us in on what she and her family have been through, receiving advice and just as you offering to send us masks and anything else we might need.  They are so nice and we are so lucky to have met them.  I havent had the heart to tell her that we arent wearing masks here.  Stay well, John

Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Ian-And-Anne-Marie0 

Some governments want us to believe the Chinese people are our enemy, its been my personal experience that the Chinese have been brought up to care about one and other and others they encounter on their journey through life.

@Ian-And-Anne-Marie0 

@Cormac0 

Cormac is so right! I've hosted many Chinese students in a different platform, hosted many Airbnb guests from China, and spent half a dozen extended trips there. Our common humanity is deep in the Confucian culture. Asian society is structured around that philosophy.   For me, it is a thrill to be with people who live on that level of consciousness and caring. 

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

Thank you for this uplifting story @Ian-And-Anne-Marie0 .our ch8mese guests with Airbnb and our International homestay students have always been a delight. We also had the privilege of travelling in China for a few weeks back in 2009. We never met anyone who was anything but kind.

@Cathie19 @Kitty-and-Creek0 @Cormac0 

Many hosts complain about their cooking and kitchen cleanliness experiences when hosting Chinese guests, I'm sure in some instances it would be something to watch out for, but I could very easily identify many equally challenging cleanliness issues with other guests, but few who are indeed as caring and considerate.

This group in particular invited us into (our own) kitchen for a meal they had prepared which was rather strange but lovely at the same time !

@Ian-And-Anne-Marie0 @Cathie19  @Cormac0 

How wonderful that they cooked for you!  You being their guest for dinner undoubtedly gave them so much joy and pride!

I prefer to use the term new and different, rather than strange, and to savor the experience of being introduced to something new in the vast realm of edibles. We are strangers only for a brief time, then we are family.

I love cultures and their foods.  If you've read my bio you already know that I have a passion for Cultural Anthropology and travel to places off the beaten track. I have learned so much from all of my international guests, and my hosts while traveling. I always prefer to go "off pavement" when I can. I've been taken into many kinds of homes for food and refreshment while hiking in mountains, farmlands and rainforests, in so many lands. You can imagine how eager and thrilled I am to do so!

I'm honored when any guest cooks in my kitchen. What is a kitchen for, anyway? It is a collection of tools for making joy, love, sharing and nourishment. Complaining about a well- used kitchen is, to me, like grumbling about worn soles on shoes, or a dirty windshield on the car. 

Isn't it wonderful when we get to share our homes with all these amazing fellow humans? Our riches, our vast wealth is in our diversity. What a reason to celebrate!