Wow - service levels have fallen off a cliff!

Escape-To-St-Ives0
Level 2
St Ives, United Kingdom

Wow - service levels have fallen off a cliff!

I have never been so frustrated with airbnb.

I have a guest that cannot visit the UK because of legal quarantine restrictions.  So far airbnb has:

- refused to cancel

-referred it to another department for an answer within 24 hours

- not answered after 72 hours

- refused to consider the request as it is low priority

- refused to let me speak with a supervisor.

Nice work!

4 Replies 4
Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Why isn't your guest simply following the Covid-19 cancelation policy, @Escape-To-St-Ives0, and cancelling themselves? It isn't actually that difficult and avoids having to call an already busy helpdesk. 

Escape-To-St-Ives0
Level 2
St Ives, United Kingdom

They claim he is not covered by the policy otherwise we would have done that

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Escape-To-St-Ives0 

I understand your frustration and I wish things were different, but I also think it's is crucial to remember this is affecting everyone. In the past three months, Airbnb has been hit by an unprecedented wave of challenges due to the spread of COVID-19. From having a 400% increase in dealing with customer service requests to losing almost 80% of their global community support network; the very people that would deal with those high volumes.

I'd like to thank you for your patience (and support) while the team is trying to get back on track, solve problems the best way possible and adjust to this new world. 

Hi Nick

I do understand the situation - I am living it.

However, airbnb did not "lose" the support  - they jetisoned it.  That's a business decision and I am not going to feel sorry for the the company that responds to a 400% increase in workload by reducing its resources by 80%.

I feel for the individuals but that does not mean that I can accept foolish responses.  I am still waiting for airbnb to agree to cancel what amounts to an illegal visit.  Now nearly a week and counting.........