Writing my first negative review

Writing my first negative review

I would like some advice.  I just had my first negative experience with a guest and am concerned about writing a negative review but I don't feel like I can ignore it either.  

1.  This person had no reviews so I'm wondering if others had negative experiences and never reviewed them.  Someone other than the person who rented called me at 11:15 pm on check in day because they couldn't find the house, didn't know what it looked like and were being loud as they walked the street.  I asked to speak with the person who rented and he wasn't with them.  This was after I had asked what time they were arriving and if I should leave a light on, to which I received no response.

2.  They were there 2 nights (one starting at 11:15pm) and I came to find stinky food in the garbage (House rules say to empty garbage).  3 ruined bath towels 2 outside(looked like they had been used in the dirt) and one inside.  My nice dishtowel in the dirt outside, the city garbage can, previously empty and in the garage, sitting in the middle of the backyard filled to the top with beer bottles and garbage, my garage left unlocked, the dishwasher and sinks are not draining, the microwave was filthy, pots and pans were put away wet and dirty, and my nice kitchen rug was outside in a heap on the ground.

Am I overreacting to be bothered?  Should I just expect this every so often?  Do I contact the guest directly and tell them my concerns?  Do I write an honest review and how do I do that without sounding like a complaining old lady 🙂

Help please!

7 Replies 7
Gwen386
Level 10
Lusby, MD

@Kathie70 Wow, just wow!  

Write an honest, factual review. As a host, I would never want these guests staying at my rental. Also, when asked if you would host these guest again, say “no”. 

Gillian166
Level 10
Hay Valley, Australia

@Kathie70  oh no, that sounds like your guests had a small gathering. You need to mark them down across the board and leave a brief but factual review. That is way too many infractions for you to ignore!  

"Way to many infractions to be ignored"-  I agree.  I think if it was one or 2 I would just have moved on but I wouldn't want anyone else to have to have these people in their homes.  I'm taking a few days to breath so I can be factual. 

Onur62
Level 2
Eskişehir, Turkey

Hello @Kathie70 , first of all, I am very sorry that you had been through all of this. I must say that this does not happen often but If this scenario happens in the future, you can claim an extra cleaning fee. 

We charge our guests for 50 euros cleaning fee, even though, they leave the place very clean so the answer to your question is no, you do not expect this kind of behavior but always be prepared.

Also, you are free to write a negative comment since others hosts who encounter the same guest, would want to know about this. At least, they will be prepared.

If they did not follow the rules of your apartment and made a mess, as I have told you before, you can hire a professional cleaning service and make them pay for it (or Airbnb cover will cover)

Hope it helps 🙂

Thank you.  I think I will need to contact Airbnb cover.  Not only for the extra cleaning fee but also a plumber and I found my stove top kettle had been moved to the counter.  When I picked it up to move it back to the stove, my counter had been burned! 

It's so crazy that people are so thoughtless.

@Kathie70  It sure does sound like your house got used for a party. Do you have any way of monitoring the home to prevent that? This experience sounds unpleasant but next time, the results could be far, far worse.

Guests like these are pretty impervious to reviews - they'll just make a burner profile to book the next party house - but you might as well write an honest one anyway. I just fear that reviews are the least of your worries, if it's that easy for random people to trash your place.

Thanks for the input.  I don't currently have cameras but it looks like I should plan on getting some.  I'm stopping by my neighbors today to encourage him to reach out to me too, even though I have already asked him to do that.