airbnb policy allowing cancellations 4 weeks ahead

Richard512
Level 2
United Kingdom

airbnb policy allowing cancellations 4 weeks ahead

What the heck is going on - airbnb is now allowing guests to cancel bookings 4 weeks into the future in August if they feel uncomfortable!

This ridiculous airbnb rolling policy's clearly sides with guests and allows them to cancel willy nilly if don't feel like holidaying a month into the future!

It's impossible to operate a business without the power to make decisions. The extenuating policy has too many holes in it and is too easy for guests to exploit, as they have many times now by crying to airbnb and receiving a refund!

3 Replies 3
Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Richard512 I cannot agree more. In retrospect we should have contacted all guests with pre March 14th bookings and cancelled them so that, if they wanted to still come, they would have to rebook and would not be quite so able to cancel.

@Lizzie @Quincy @Katie Any chance of asking Airbnb to do the right thing and give hosts another time-limited cancellation option now we know what Airbnb are doing with EC extensions. I have a September booking from the USA which is highly unlikely to be able to go ahead but my calendar will just stay blocked until August when the guest will, presumably, be allowed to cancel.

Richard512
Level 2
United Kingdom

As airbnb ignored my requests for so called proof to cancel, i asked the guest and they told me all they had to do was send a link from the uk gov site showing information limiting household gatherings, which is no longer valid anyway.

If this is the level of proof airbnb require then any bookings can be cancelled just by sending an outdated link!

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

@Richard512 Even after 4  July, it is still against gov. regs to have more than 2 households indoors in someone's home, so if your group cancelled cos it comprised more than 2 households, the Yes, the gov.uk site DOES  prove that they were booking for something which can't happen by law.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-outbreak-faqs-what-you-can-and-cant-do/corona...