cancellation due to Covid 19

Linda2858
Level 1
United Kingdom

cancellation due to Covid 19

Hi,

I am a host and I have a booking June 27th-4th July.    I am very concerned & confused  as is my guest, my holiday let is in Wales and we now know we will not be allowed open for business by this time.  My question is does my guest have to cancel by the 15th May in order to get a full refund or do we wait until the 'extenuating circumstances' date includes this reservation, it is currently set at 15th June.  

Secondly, in the early stages of this crisis, I was asked by two separate guests to cancel for them, I did this but have since discovered that I do not get my 25 per cent payout.  This seems very unfair as I was specifically asked to cancel on their behalf and the reason was because of Covid 19.  All of which is in our communications with each other.

Many thanks,  Lyn

2 Replies 2
Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi Lyn,

Thank you for joining the community and for your message. I am sure your fellow hosts will jump in and share their advice, but in the meantime, I wanted to put your mind at ease, with everything we now up to this moment. For your first point, please refer to Airbnb's resource centre for the latest information and timelines.

For your second point, could you please clarify what type of cancellation policy was in place at the time of the bookings as this will dictate what sort of refund percentage you should expect. It would also be helpful to check your Trips dashboard and see if there are any specific notes from Airbnb on refund eligibility per transaction.

Hope this helps.

Nick 

Linda2858
Level 1
United Kingdom

Hi Nick,    Thanks for getting back to me.  I am more concerned that if I don't act in time my guest will not get a full refund.  I think what is confusing me is the message from airbnb telling me there are no penalties for cancelling before the 15th May. (Or does this mean no penalties for me) My cancellation policy is set a 'strict', which I understand to mean 'if the check-in date is at least 14 days away they qualify for a full refund'.  Or should I wait until airbnb extend their 'extenuating circumstances' date (currently set at 15t June) and then ask the guest to cancel.  The booking was made before the 14th March.

Thanks for your help,  Lyn.