construction notice 24 hours before arrival

construction notice 24 hours before arrival

Hi everyone,

I hope some people can help me. With 2 friends we booked an airbnb appartment for 7 nights. We just got an email (less than 24 hours before arrival) from the host that there might be construction taking place. It has 2 bedrooms with 2 (one oneperson and one for 2 people). In the email it says that construction maybe will take place, preperation for renovation later on.  If construction takes place props will be placed in the double bedroom and not will be able to be used and we will have to make use of the sleeping couch in the dining aria (not where it normaly is). If this happens she wil refund 150 euro's.

But honestly I think this is not okay. We rented the place for 7 nights and we want the place for ourselfs. But we chose this rental because we wanted to sleep on beds and not on a sleeping couch!

We don't want the rental to be canceled now because it is 13 hours before we are leaving for our flight.

Does anyone know our rights or what we could do?

6 Replies 6
Elena4354
Level 8
Porto, Portugal

Your rights are to stay in the place you booked and not have any construction work in that place.
in this situation I think the best thing you can do is contact Airbnb support as soon as possible and ask for help. They can talk to the owner and if she confirms the construction work, they can cancel your reservation and help you rebook another place in the same location. 

Kind regards.
Elena. 

we have contacted airbnb directly but they are not doing much because the host just contacted us.

Information update: suddenly after repeatedly asking the host could give us a timeframe of 3 days wh...

Also we booked because he was a superhost.

Unfortunatly we have also looked in the area and nothing else is available in our pricerange even close to space we rented. (like more that 2/3 smaller). or hunderds more a day.

My comment got very strange.

What i meant was:

Information update: suddenly after repeatedly asking the host could give us a timeframe of 3 days wh...

And it was no problem that you would suddenly be sleeping in the diningroom instead of a real bedroom with a real bed....

Also we booked because he was a superhost.

Unfortunatly we have also looked in the area and nothing else is available in our pricerange even close to space we rented. (like more that 2/3 smaller). or hunderds more a day.

I hope you guys do see words. my computer cuts my lines of and puts dots.

The timing isn’t good, but your best bet is to ask for a full refund because the unit as it was listed is no longer available.

Sometimes, unforeseeable renovations have to be scheduled. We had a category two windstorm in a mountain town where I live, and I found myself on the roof having to do repairs. Sometimes there’s Damage from previous guests. I can see the host didn’t want to cancel your trip entirely and offered you a discount for the loss of the room. Still, if you want a space with two rooms, I would ask for a refund and try to find a place. It’s difficult when you land and have to find a place, but You sound young enough to be agile and capable of adventure. I hope you and your friends can find another place with the multiple spaces you need, or take the €150 and make a night of it 🎉 

I’m sorry, I don't have a better answer to stuff like this. But I can see the host is trying to still be available. You just have to decide whether or not that’s good enough and if it’s not good enough there’s always the option of asking for more compensation. but please keep in mind this host has tried to provide you options rather than just cancel and I hope you wouldn’t give them a bad review because of that. our business is conducted in buildings and unfortunately they have to be repaired and renovated frequently in order to keep up with the standards of hospitality. 

begin this conversation before you walk in the door cause it’s a lot easier for a host to just give you a full refund and not have to send a cleaning crew back out and you guys find a new spot then after you get there drop all your bags and rest and then ask to cancel 

despite your lodging hiccup I hope you have a good rest of your trip

jenny

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Melissa2710 This is totally unacceptable from the host. They really should not be hosting if they think they can do this. I would talk to Airbnb and ask them to get the host to confirm you will get the place as booked OR find you another place to stay per their Aircover guarantee.

Do let us know how you get on