eavesdropping?

Crissy15
Level 2
Chicago, IL

eavesdropping?

I was having a disagreement with my host about the cleanliness of my rental and he sent someone to do an "inspection". I refused to let her in without a mask on and have been told that I am lying about the mask and the dirt and the ant/gnat infestation. The host said "I was on the phone with my cleaner and heard everything by the way. What you are saying is absolutely wrong." Apparently she had him on speaker phone in my rental while I was explaining the situation without my knowledge. Do I have any recourse here, or is this acceptable because it wasn't actually a recording?

5 Replies 5
Debra300
Top Contributor
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Crissy15,

It appears that your previous communication with the host has been on the phone, and there really isn't any proof that you didn't know or approve of the speakphone being on.  I would keep all communication with the host on Airbnb's message system.  If you've not done so already, send the host a message explicitly stating the issues with the ants/gnats.  Also, inform the host that anyone coming to inspect is required to wear a mask while in the rental.  There really isn't any need to mention speakerphones, because there is no way of Airbnb to confirm what was said in the conversation.

Don't just believe what I say, check the Airbnb Help Center

All of my communication with them has been through airbnb, not over the phone. They were texting me at one point and I refused to communicate with them outside the app and have documented everything in the airbnb messages (including photos). My issue is that he stated in writing that he was listening in on my in-person conversation with with the cleaner that came into my rental without a mask.

@Crissy15  What is the result you are looking for?  I'm not sure why you are so upset that the cleaner was on the phone with the host at the time, this seems like good policy to me, ensuring prompt and full responsiveness to your issues.  

Debra300
Top Contributor
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Crissy15.

Like @Mark116, my initial question also was what are you looking for?  I am not a lawyer, but the cleaner was acting as an agent on behalf of the host.  The speakerphone enabled the host to hear the conversation first hand, which would eliminate the omission of details if the clean were to relay what was discussed. 

I agree that it was pretty cheesy that you weren't told about the open conversation, but would you have said something else if you'd known about the speakerphone?  You didn't state how much time is remaining on your reservation, but there are always choices:

1. Work with the host to get the initial issue rectified.
  2. Contact Airbnb to cancel you the remainder of your reservation.  The cancellation policy may be punitive.
  3. Stay in the space without getting the issue addressed.

I do suggest that when you leave a review, do so without a lot of emotion and state the facts: You reported an issue about ants/gnats.  The cleaner came over to inspect, but you didn't allow entry without a mask.  Without your knowledge the cleaner had her phone on speakerphone with the host.  Based on that conversation that host contradicted your claims.  Then state whatever you next actions were.

Good luck.

Don't just believe what I say, check the Airbnb Help Center
Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

post removed as requested by OP

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen