Level 1
Los Angeles, CA

fraud

has anyone encountered fraud and no assistance from airbnb

5 Replies 5
Anass24
Level 2
Casablanca, Morocco

I encountered fraud. I had to drive one hour to an apartment that doesn’t exist. No assistance from Airbnb.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

What's the context ? Are you a host or a guest? What sort of fraud was committed? @Anass24 

Anass24
Level 2
Casablanca, Morocco

@Helen3 I was supposed to be a guest. I found out later that the host isn’t the owner of the appartement I booked. The security agents told me that this is the 7th time it happened this summer with the same reservation I showed them

Michael6412
Level 1
Portland, OR

I recently discovered that someone used one of my business credit cards for a $780.00 Airbnb stay. With all their language about "identification verification," I have no idea how someone could just use credit card information for a booking. And there is ZERO contact information about this topic on the Airbnb website. Of course I've taken measures with my bank, but this tells me that my identity is NOT safe with Airbnb. So any future travel looks like it won't be with Airbnb. And if I were any potential customer, I would think twice about their security, much less their seeming inability to protect your information. 

@Michael6412  I don't see that this has anything to do with Airbnb verification. Online purchases can be made with any credit card one chooses. I can book an airline ticket for my daughter using my credit card- the booking is for her, but it isn't her cc. Likewise if I didn't have a credit card, I could ask a friend or family member to use their card, paying them back in cash.

The only thing companies care about is that the card is valid and the charge goes through. Airbnb isn't any different from any other company in that regard. There is nothing illegal about using someone else's credit card to make a purchase. It's only illegal if it is stolen or used without permission, but the payee has no way of knowing if the person who used it had permission to.