<Entire apartment hosted by ____ 2 guests · Studio · 1 bed · 1 bath

Charl2838
Level 2
Pretoria, South Africa

<Entire apartment hosted by ____ 2 guests · Studio · 1 bed · 1 bath

I am confused about this ad. I booked this ad by the understanding that by default 2 guests are assumed and not just one. And then you have to pay more for the second guest. 

Because when I made the booking I did not bother to change the guests from 1 to 2 because this ad clearly states to me that 2 people are assumed and that I'm renting an entire apartment.  Now the owner wants to charge me almost double per night for my girlfriend. That makes this from being just affordable to very expensive.

Also at the price block, it states R250 / night. Not R250 per night per person.

I'm very disappointed, is there some way to resolve a matter like this?

38 Replies 38

@Lorna170 Every listing has a base price guest count and a maximum capacity, which may be higher than the base price guest count. Are you arguing that every listing’s text should duplicate this information (which  is already presented in the pricing)? Or are you saying that only listings with a base price guest count of one and a maximum capacity greater than one should do this?

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Charl2838  Semantically, I agree with you - the title is inexact at best, misleading at worst.  It's sloppy.  I abhor sloppy language because it leads to confusion and misunderstanding.  The way some hosts write, I'm not surprised they come on here to complain of conflict with guests and customer service.  They created the conflict with their inexact, sloppy writing.

My last two reviews, glowing though they were, were riddled with mistakes and it embarrasses me to have them associated with my listing.

There are so many tools out there to help people with writing there's absolutely no excuse for this kind of thing.

You referring to the "other guests have wrote"? I am seeing that all over the place now, even in articles written by so-called journalists- the substitution of the past tense for the past participle. "I have went", it had broke", etc. It's quite distressing that so many people seem to be getting more and more illiterate.

@Ann72 

It's horrible, @Sarah977, truly agonizing.  When I'm texting I'm always finding mistakes in my own texts, which is embarrassing, but it's between family and friends and we can laugh about our #fails.  But when I'm writing for any eyes beyond that, I read everything over at least once.  

The second-to-last review, though not ungrammatical, had several dropped words.

@Ann72 Airbnb creates the heading, not the host.

@Lisa723thanks so much for straightening me out.  You're very good at that!

@Ann72 haha 😉

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

"The book is how the owner should advertise. If he said per person per night then I will choose the number of people. If I already own the entire house for the week it negates the purpose of choosing the number of people because I can now have the max there because the entire place is mine."

Your understanding of how Airbnb works is completely incorrect. Even if you did enter the correct number of guests, or even if the host charged the same for 2 guests as for one, you don't "own" the entire house- you are renting it, and your booking has to reflect who will be staying. You don't have the option to just substitute one guest for another. This would have to be approved by the host- hosts need to know who is staying in their homes, the guest doesn't get to decide that.

@Charl2838

@Lorna170 

"If the host charges for a second guest, why is that not in the listing description?"

What about

If the host set different prices per date, why is that not in the listing description?

Because when you do a search in order to book , you must enter your dates and the number of people as these are contractual commitments and there are tax and insurance consequences.

It is nonsense on Airbnb (or other website or train/plane booking or car rentals) to search without the true information as prices vary according to the number of people, dates and duration of the trip.

Moreover @Charl2838  had 48h to cancel without penalty if his stay was in more than 14 days.
What did he do during this time? 

For a one month reservation, it worth to discuss "details" between the traveller and the prospect before booking.

Have @Charl2838  mentioned they were 2 before booking?