messy oven is how many stars?

Nash-Cottages-LLC0
Level 10
Nashville, TN

messy oven is how many stars?

We recently had a guest with >10 stellar reviews, including notes with how clean they are. So, we thought clean-up would be a breeze. They were great guests - communicative and above average in the cleanliness realm - with one exception. 

They used the oven and what was left was dried-up, caked-on meat juices at the bottom. On the one hand, happy they didn't attempt to clean it and ruin the coating. On the other hand, we had to run the oven through its self-clean cycle (4 hours), clean between cycles, and then run it through another shorter, quick cycle. 

How would you word the review, and how many stars would you give? 

12 Replies 12
Tommy150
Level 10
Buffalo, NY

If everything else was fine, I wouldn't bother. Oven spills happen. They probably cleaned up what they could and left the rest - maybe knowing certain ovens are particular with self clean. 

Cleaning stoves and kitchens are part of short term rentals, u less there was some absurd mess and it's just normal cooking mess, I would let it go 

Pat271
Level 10
Greenville, SC

I charge a substantial cleaning fee, and personally, I would not mark down for this, just as I wouldn’t mark down for other normal-use occurrences. The same goes for normal mishaps resulting from the use of other appliances like refrigerators, barbeque grills, and toasters. Only if the mess was egregious and truly slovenly would I mark down.

There are in-between situations, however, especially from new guests. They may have shown effort in some areas, but overlooked others. With those guests, I may not mark down or comment publicly, but offer some gentle advice in the private section of the review.

However, every host has different fees and requirements. I’ve even heard of hosts that don’t charge a cleaning fee and require that the place be left as it was found, just as long-term tenants do in an apartment.

The important thing is that requirements are clearly spelled out so that there is no doubt as to what is expected. Your requirements should be clearly listed in your House Rules, and readily accessible before booking.

As far as your peace of mind goes, I’ve found it helpful to remember those wonderful guests who have gone above and beyond to leave your place in spectacular condition. The minor, “extra” mishaps of other guests even the score. 

Nash-Cottages-LLC0
Level 10
Nashville, TN

@Pat271 @Tommy150 

Thank you for responding. You both articulated where our thinking - and heart - was going. Hope you both are having a wonderful day. 

There are guests who are clearly slobs and intentionally are gross. Then there are people who may leave things a bit unkempt but it's nothing major other than some more cleaning. You kind of have to trust your gut 

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

@Nash-Cottages-LLC0 the dreaded messy oven! This is why I block off stays on Thanksgiving if I can. I do not want to clean up in my own house let alone our guest space. 

I really really really wish I did not have a full kitchen. There is a class of guest who loves to cook while away and I just cannot understand this for the life of me: I dislike cooking in general and would never seek to do so when I am on a vacation. But I know this exists and there are people who bake, sautee and fry at every opportunity in any and every possible space. And when they do, the oven is the last thing that ever gets cleaned.

I share your frustration on this but have learned that this is a true blindspot for most guests. I only once marked down on cleanliness because of this when it was truly heinous. I have given private feedback on occasion about terrible ovens. I do cringe to think what their oven must be like at home. 

@Nash-Cottages-LLC0  You probably already know this, but only hosts who use Instant Book can see the star ratings. They're of no use to a host who is actively screening guests for compatibility on issues such as cleaning expectations  (and I doubt an IB host would waste one of their free cancellations just because a confirmed guest forgot to scrub the oven).  You can mark down the star rating if you really want to - the guest won't see it - but unless you offer an explanation in the written review, hosts will have no idea what it signified and how serious the issue was.

The real question is whether it's worth mentioning at all. Your instinct seems to be saying it isn't, and I'd agree.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Nash-Cottages-LLC0  Unless a guest left the whole place filthy, and a dirty oven was just the icing on the cake, there's no way I would fault a guest for that. 

Some guests don't use the oven at all, I'd bet. Unless a guest really leaves the place a disaster, I wouldn't nitpick about such things.  Who knows, maybe they intended to clean it, but couldn't while it was hot, and just forgot. And you said they were otherwise above average in the cleanliness dept.

It's just one of those things that comes with the territory of hosting.

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

I don't have an oven (thank goodness!!), but we have slipcovers on the sofa. Usually the sofa is tidy, sometimes there are crumbs to be swept and sometimes I "get to" take off the covers for a spin thru the wash during a turnover. I prefer the first scenario, but unless it's completely beyond the pale, even in the 3rd case I simply silently thank the guest for their stay and for the opportunity to do one of those deep clean chores that don't happen super often as I'm unzipping/zipping.

I don't imagine I'd call it out in the written text, but marking down the stars a click or two seems reasonable, but I wouldn't let it take up too much head space, it's fine.

Arisa605
Level 2
Copenhagen, Denmark

Im good at making note beside things that says clean up after cooking. Maybe a solution 🙃

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

As a guest it would never even cross my mind to clean the oven or even look to see if it is dirty. Now that I think about it, I do not really even check my own. I do not pay much attention to the condition of the ovens at my properties and have never had anyone complain of it being dirty and I am pretty sure I have heard every complaint out there. As a guest I would not care if the oven has some residue either. Neither my food nor I would be touching it. 

Stephanie365
Level 10
Fredericksburg, VA

This is one that I would let go unless you specifically provide oven cleaning instructions.