" High Maintenance " Guest and on going complaints !!

Joana294
Level 2
Maryland, United States

" High Maintenance " Guest and on going complaints !!

I am lost with this guest and her intentions. She initially had 4 adult guests reservation, at 1am the day of arrival she made an alteration request to 3 adults, 5 children and an infant ( children age 2, 2,4,5 ,6 and infant) which I approved as I didn't want to upset the guest. I also request our security deposit that has not been made and guest will check our in a day.  She requested an early check in and being considerate and at no additional charge I allowed a 2 hour early check-in. Well check in was yesterday, guest did not arrive until 5pm.  Texted me at midnight to let me know  that it was to cold ( complaint #1) The Nest is locked to 68 to 76, but guest can control in between those temperature. We are in JAx, FL and it was 70degrees out). I explained to the guest that she could control it and she didn't say anything else until this morning. ( complaint # 2)She texted me at 6.29 am to tell me it was too hot and her baby was sweating, again I said you can adjust between 68 to 76 and unit will either to heat or cold according. No answer. 10 am I get report that guests have cover outdoor cameras including pool area yesterday upon arrival( which violates our rules , not to mention its a huge liability having a pool and these many children) I texted her and she said its been uncovered( hopefully its true).   Noon, ( inquiry) she asks for the projector  which I reply its a bring your own device ( movie area is setup, but there is not an universal projector and have disclosed in the listing that its a bring your own device) , no answer. ( complaint #3) 5:40 pm  Can you turn on the pool heater, replied pool heater is on and automatic setup to 82degrees and sent her a screenshot of current pool temperature , with no reply... I'm  here pulling my hair, I don't know what else this guest is going to complain about, not answer to and probably leave a negative review. Does anyone have any tips on disengaging this behavior?    Or what I can do any different? 

3 Replies 3
M199
Level 10
South Bruce Peninsula, Canada

@Joana294 

Unforunately, you have put yourself in this position where you are being taken advantage of by a guest.  Your listing allows 10 guests, excluding Infants.  So unless the guest breaches house rules, has a party (for example), there really isn't anything you can do.  If you are not comfortable with the guests,  you can try contacting Airbnb for a neutral cancellation. But to be honest, I think that would reflect more poorly on you since, by your post, the guest is only being an inconvenience.

Good luck!

PS hopefully you have everything documented via Airbnb messaging.  You may want to call Airbnb and have a note of the current situation put on file without any Airbnb action.

Andrea4731
Level 10
West Palm Beach, FL

Ugh this guest sounds like a pain 😞 the only thing I may agree with her on though is 82 degrees is chilly for a pool esp in 70 degree weather. Hopefully she’s not staying much longer, she sounds like a guest I recently had as well.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Joana294 

The temperatures you mention seem pretty fine to me, especially the indoors one (don't know that much about what temperature a pool should be), but then I am British, so perhaps they seem a bit restrictive to the guest. Having said that, if you don't normally get complaints about it from other guests, most likely the current one is just tricky.

For me, the warning signs are more that the guest changed the numbers so radically at the last minute. She surely knew she was bringing three adults, five children and an infant rather than four adults, which is completely different, so why was she not upfront about it? Do you charge the same price regardless of the number of guests or should she have paid additional fees? I doubt I would have accepted this. Then there is the whole asking for early check in and arriving late. Then there is the whole, it's too cold, oh no, now it's too hot, when you've clearly explained that she can adjust the temperature. Covering the cameras as well...

This guest sounds like a complete pain in the backside but I am not sure what you can do about it. How long is the stay? How long do you think you can put up with this? If it is short, I would just let her stay but maybe reiterate again that the cameras must not be covered and that the thermostat is adjustable and the pool heated and there is not much else you can do about that.

Going forward, make sure everything is clearly stated on your listing/in your house rules (if it isn't already) and STICK to your rules. Guests that you make too many major concessions for are often the ones to least appreciate it and keep pushing for more, more, more. That's because they are really entitled. Why else would a guest think this behaviour is okay?