what star category do these "offences" belong to?

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

what star category do these "offences" belong to?

I am about to leave a review for a guest who 

1. gave me a lot of hard time about my ID requirement. After much push back, he sent everyone's IDs with all information but the name marked out making it a guest list rather than ID on file. After much more back and forth, he did comply. His communication was polite and consistent throughout. Is this lower stars in communication, house rules, both or neither (he did come through after all)

2. moved a heavy couch to a completely different area. It needed to be lifted in the air to get it through a long narrow hallway. We tried ourselves, there was not a chance my housekeeper and I could do it. My house rules and check out message ask to put all furniture back. Luckily he was still in the area and came back to get it done. If I had a same day check in and he was not still around, I would have been in a very tough position. Is this cleanliness, house rules, both or I should let it go

The house was clean overall, no other complaints

57 Replies 57

@Inna22 exactly this! The Marriott will ask for your ID & anyone who is dodgy about 'why do you need to know' is more than welcome to skip my house and stay somewhere else

The vote clerk and the note clerk? My autocorrect picked every random word but what I meant to say which was hotel clerk

Gillian166
Level 10
Hay Valley, Australia

don't people raise a stink about showing ID to vote in the USA?

We don't show ID to vote in Australia, because we actually have a good (federal - the same rules for everyone) system set up already 🤪 haha. and certainly no one is taking my license into some back room to make a copy, wtf. I also don't hand over my ID to someone in a restaurant, and in this day of identity theft I'm concerned that any business would ask you to do that. 

I'm not trying to argue with you about the ID thing, I've provided my ID to airbnb hosts before, even though i've already provided my ID to Airbnb and been verified, i was merely trying to give you perspective on why someone might be difficult about it, because you seemed to not be able to see the other side. ☮

@Gillian166  Voting is a fundamental civil right. Staying at Inna's Airbnb is not.

@Gillian166 are you hosting your own house i.e ,letting strangers stay over for days without knowing who they are ? Seriously/ i do not care why someone would prefer to hide their identity that is their lookout but they do not get in my house.H 

they aren't "hiding their identity" because they already provided ID to ABB. I wouldn't be happy about emailing some rando host who knows nothing about cyber crimes  a copy of my DL. Either way, as I stated, I have cameras and can note down the license plate of every guest who arrives here, should it come to such a situation. 

Please tell me that you delete their ID afterwards. And do you tell the guest you do so? (honestly now, what systems do you have in place to safeguard their private info from you being hacked?). 

@Gillian166 they send it through Airbnb. It is as safe as they ID they gave them, their credit card, phone number and whatever else. Again, you don’t have to book with me. All you have to do is read the description. Since you are familiar with technology, you know that there isn’t a way to delete anything that can not be recovered if needed. 

i am fully booked till end is summer. If someone is not happy about my rules, they can cancel or not book. Quality of my guests improved dramatically ever since I started doing this 

@Helen744 

@Gillian166 , seriously who has most to lose here? Who on earth is setting up an Airbnb to steal any ones ID. This is not a random 'door bitch' at a sleazy nightclub . This is my house and if people do not or cannot or will not identify who gets the bill when my house is damaged deliberately or accidentally  then they are not welcome . They do not 'buy 'my house and their 'privacy is not invaded in my house So time to grow up and realise that every day usage requires id in this world today. H

@Gillian166   Presumably you don't wait until after you've placed a booking to complain that you don't appreciate its stated rules?

@Anonymous wrote:

@Gillian166   Presumably you don't wait until after you've placed a booking to complain that you don't appreciate its stated rules?

I wouldn't complain about it at all. I'd grumble quietly and get on with my life. 😁.

I'm not actually the guy the OP is talking about, so no need to assume I am and ask me to defend his behaviour, I was merely offering some perspective as to why people are careful with sending a digital copy of their ID to a stranger.  Handing over your ID to a big chain hotel clerk is not quite the same thing, and again if it was some rando place and the person took my id to the back room to copy it I'd be a bit uncomfortable with that too. I'm just saying, some of us are more sensitive to this stuff based on things that have happened in the past. It sounds like this guest was being a bit of a d*head about it, which of course is unacceptable behaviour. 

@Gillian166 this guest actually brought up both of those points.

First one was that the main booker was verified through Airbnb. As we’ve discussed here many times, Airbnb verifies nothing. Plus, if anything happens at my property airbnb is not going to give the identity of that person. Furthermore, I want IDs from everybody. Behavior off my guests  improved dramatically ever since I’ve started doing that.

As for the big chain Hotel clerks, how are they any better? What stops them from snapping a picture of your ID with their own phone? Do you think they are verified? I would trust a super host with hundreds of  positive feedbacks before I would trust a random hotel clerk who might’ve been hired yesterday and fired tomorrow.

Gillian166
Level 10
Hay Valley, Australia

@Inna22 wrote:

As for the big chain Hotel clerks, how are they any better? What stops them from snapping a picture of your ID with their own phone? Do you think they are verified? I would trust a super host with hundreds of  positive feedbacks before I would trust a random hotel clerk who might’ve been hired yesterday and fired tomorrow.

Of course this is correct too.
I guess i don't see it  as "who do I trust, A or B".  I have the same policy in all situations, I'm uneasy about handing over my ID to anyone. But i try not to be a pain about it, that's the trick. 😉

This is our concern. Airbnb, MAYBE verifies the main booker but what about the 9 other people who are joining them in the home? Nope.

We require the names of all guests at the time of booking which is also an Airbnb Rule -but you wouldn't know it sometimes. 

We're having difficulty even getting the guest to give us the names of the rest of their party. I can imagine what would happen if we asked for their ID.  We do require, in our House Rules, the stipulation that we can require ID upon their arrival or during their stay.

We've had the guest send other people to the home and the guest who booked doesn't even stay in the home.

Our busy season hasn't even begun and I'm already feeling burned out with Airbnb Support, or lack thereof, and all the crap guests attempt to get away with.  Publisher's Clearing House - take me away! 😉

Richard531
Level 10
California, United States

I'm on team grump here. 

As some of you may know from past posts, I bolt the majority of my furniture to the ground.  People are entitled and destructive.  Moving a host's furniture is the ultimate in disrespect.  I try my best to anticipate that and not give them a chance to be disrespectful.  What you describe with the hauling of the sofa through the hallway is 1-star behavior in whatever category you decide to slap him with.  

As far as the bellyaching with the IDs?  Oh, man. . .  How dumb is that?  It's not a coincidence how the most protective people of their precious IDs are probably those that possess IDs that nobody would want to steal in the first place. . .  

There are plenty of Motel 6 properties for this fool.  Dude is just awful all around and doesn't belong on the platform.  

I'm new to hosting and have been following this thread.  If I were a guest and asked to provide an ID, I would not book with that host because I would feel that I have already complied with ABB's requirement to provide my ID (and I also share concerns expressed by others that an ID should never be shared unless it is with a recognized bank or other reputable institution). 

As a guest, I would not know of the abuses discussed in this thread and how vulnerable some hosts feel. But some of the host entries dismiss the guests valid concerns about how their data will be used--if hosts have a lack of trust of guests (and rightly so based on some of the scenarios described), guests also do not know how trustworthy their hosts are with their identity documents.  As a host, however, I understand the desire to ask for proof of identity.

Is this a common practice among hosts--that you do not use instant book and rely on messaging with potential guests to obtain their IDs?

Christine