An update on changes to the Strict cancellation policy

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

An update on changes to the Strict cancellation policy

Hello everyone,

We recently announced that we’re updating our Strict cancellation policy. Starting May 1, 2018, guests will have the option to cancel for free within 48 hours of booking, as long as their check-in date is at least 14 days away.

In response to this announcement, many of you voiced concerns about Airbnb sharing your details with guests who may cancel. We take your privacy very seriously, so thank you for that feedback—it inspired important updates that give you more control over when your listing details and contact information are shared with guests.  

Here’s how we’re addressing your concerns

You can choose not to share your address, phone number, and last name with guests during the period that they can cancel for free. Guests will never see these details if they cancel their reservation during the free cancellation window.

To use this feature, go to Listing > Listing details > Edit location in your Airbnb account. Under Visibility for booked guests, check the box next to Share details with guests after the free cancellation period.  

Grace Period.png

This feature will be available to all hosts on May 1, regardless of their cancellation policy (Strict, Flexible, Moderate). And just in case you missed the announcement, here’s what’s changing for hosts who have a Strict cancellation policy:

• Guests will get a full refund if they cancel within 48 hours of booking, as long as their check-in date is at least 14 days away. This means that even if a guest books a reservation months in advance, they’re only able to get a full refund if they cancel within the first 48 hours after booking.  
  • Guests can only get 3 full refunds per year. After that, guests will no longer be able to cancel for free.
  • To discourage guests from making multiple reservations for the same dates and then cancelling, overlapping reservations aren’t eligible for a full refund.

This change helps hosts with a Strict cancellation policy compete with listings that offer guests more flexibility. Guests feel more confident booking reservations that give them room to make changes or fix booking mistakes immediately. The updated policy gives guests this flexibility, but only for 48 hours after they book.

Airbnb is committed to the success of all hosts and we know changes impact how you work. We don’t make changes like these without extensive testing, and after we change the policy on May 1st, we’ll continue to monitor the impact by providing the grace period to a portion of guests before making it available to all guests. As we roll this out, we’ll continue to listen to your valuable feedback.

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

233 Replies 233
Šarka0
Level 6
Ljubljana, Slovenia

Dear AirBnb,

how can witholding our personal information during the free cancellation period (quote:) "make it harder for guests to plan their trip"? It says so in the Share details after the free cancellation period description.

Because they can't see the exact address and our phone number to call us while they are deciding for 2 days whether or not they are going to stay with us?

In this case, since AirBnb is favouring guests so much all the time, Airbnb should make an option for GUESTS to book instantly without the 48-HOURS grace period and they will receive all the private information instantly too - but of course without having the free cancellation period.

We were "forced" to turn on instant booking, so make an option of instant booking for guests too.

Šarka0
Level 6
Ljubljana, Slovenia

Adding: Has any of AirBnb executives even thought if this new FORCED POLICY made it harder for us, HOSTS, to plan OUR renting?

I definitely do not agree with the fact that dates will be blocked already in the free cancellation period, even though some other guest might have a set mind and would like to book our place 100%, and not just 1-99%.

I would much rather have the grace period's unconfirmed dates marked as PENDING with the possibility of any other guest to book it instantly.

Oh wait, this kind of sounds like the Pre-Approval option we hosts have when guests are making an enquiry. Certainly this isn't working at all...

Bertrand58
Level 5
California, United States

@Zappa0

I read the following:

"Full refund for cancellations made within 48 hours of booking, if the check-in date is at least 14 days away.", as more than 14 days away from checkin and less than 48 hours from booking, at cancellation time, not booking time. That would apply to any situation. But who knows what Airbnb is actually going to do. 

Deborah401
Level 2
Sonoma, CA

I recently had a guest that said they had to cancel because airbnb caused a problem so they had to cancel....what could this be???? we did everything right on our side?Deborah

Michele511
Level 10
Santa Monica, CA

@Lizzie Hosts currently have the option to give guests 48 hour cancellation. I have never used it because I do not want it, as many other people here have mentioned. I still am almost always booked.

Airbnb cannot claim that “This change helps hosts with a Strict cancellation policy compete with listings that offer guests more flexibility.” I suspect this is more a benefit for Airbnb. It is fine if people want to do it. But by forcing it on people you may lose some hosts, including me. Airbnb infringes on our ability, and right, to control how we want to rent our property. 

Coln0
Level 10
George Town, Malaysia

@Lizzie

Can we also have this feature at the same time? 

Host will have the option to cancel penalty free within 48 hours of booking, as long as the guest check-in date is at least 14 days away.

Fair?

Ann10
Level 10
New York, NY

Alice & Jeff

@Alice & Jeff in 
Durham, NC
Level 10

Re-

@Lizzie - So you are saying that the Strict policy holders will be able to withhold their personal information for 48 hours, during the "grace period", but a host with a Moderate or Flexible policy will have their information sent out immediately, like you have always done?  There is a 48 hour "grace period" for both Moderate and Flexible policies as well where Airbnb has committed to returning their fees to the guest in case of a change of mind.

The issue in the other thread with releasing information to guests was the "lack of committment" on the guest's part which, seemed to me sitting here on the sidelines, to be directly proportional to the amount of refund a guest would get for a cancellation post 48 hours (conversely, it was totally okay if the host was going to get 50% because a 50% payout meant that any risk was mitigated). Everyone was all up in arms about the guest getting personal information when their reservation was not "secured", meaning if there was a 100% refund, it was not secured.  Clearly, Airbnb, based on this new option, seems to have agreed.

With this new option, Airbnb is conceeding that there may be some cause for concern that a guest who could cancel without any financial penalty may, somehow, be more likely to need personal host information restricted from them.  This security comes directly from the refund period/penalty starting.  In this case, the refund period/penalty starts way, way later for Moderate and Flexible hosts.  

Logically, this cause for concern should be extended to the Moderate and Flexible policies.  If Airbnb is going to withhold personal information until the host can be paid part of the reservation fee for the risk of exposure and liability, then they MUST extend that to ALL hosts.  You cannot provide security to one segment of the hosting group that would make the other 2 hosting groups more vulnerable.  You've just moved all the theives, rapists, and drug-adled guests that were willing to make a reservation and cancel during the free period just to get addresses and security codes to our properties!  All those wishy-washy, make-multiple-reservations-while-shopping-for-a-better- rate guests will start booking up our calendars for months! By limiting the exposure during the free period to only that of Strict hosts, you have made the risk of harm to hosts in other policies greater.  

You HAD to know this was coming .... I've been sitting here biding my time until they came up with a policy exception that would put purposely put hosts in different conditions. You cannot extend safety options to some hosts and not to others. They have not thought this through.  AGAIN, Airbnb has done something knee-jerk that will result in more dissatisfaction. 

As noted many times, since this "free policy" has gone into effect, cancellations are way up for hosts like me.  And because the "fee" to cancel post 48 hours is limited to only the 12% Airbnb fee, in many cases that's less than a trip to McDonalds (12% of $50 = $6),  we've seen reservations held for months only to be cancelled a week out.  Many get rebooked at cheaper accommodations as Airbnb pushes down the price using Smart Pricing. Certainly if you're a thief who's scoping out Airbnb's to rob (and that includes booking a higher price to last minute book a cheaper one - and sometimes the same group who is waiting on that extra 10% offer!), that's a small price to pay for security codes and addresses, right?

Makes me sad, really, that Airbnb has been so thoughtless. 

[cannot reply to individual posts using the "reply" button - getting error message]

*In my opinion-Airbnb had policies designed to bring out the worst in humanity, and when the worst happens, not just to one host but those before that host, what? Do they remove that guest from the website? No, they remove the truthful review. I can site more than one example of this. Seems NYC attracts the con artists and extortionists. Then they push you back for not accepting IB, SP, Moderate, etc. when you are supposed to be making 22% more, and on top of it, they won't fix their website.

@Lizzie

I understand that you didn't mastermind this egregious and disingenuous explanation that makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.  I have no idea why I am even writing this as obviously the change was done and dusted long ago and we hosts are just whistling in the wind. ♬♪♫♬♪♫♬♪♫♬♪♫♬♪♫♬♪♫♬♪♫♬

"This change helps hosts with a Strict cancellation policy compete with listings that offer guests more flexibility.

NO, it does not,  the change that would help hosts is to have the choice between ♬♪♫♬♪♫♬♪♫♬♪♫♬♪♫♬♪♫♬♪♫♬

1. 'Strict'   or   

2.  'Strict with 48 hour grace period'

And if hosts had wanted to compete with 'flexible' they could have chosen 'flexible'.

"Guests feel more confident booking reservations that give them room to make changes or fix booking mistakes immediately. "

"Guests feel more confident" May I suggest some copy that is closer to what guests will understand: ♬♪♫♬♪♫♬♪♫♬♪♫♬♪♫♬♪♫♬♪♫♬

–  "Don't think, just book, It's a click away – Airbnb has you covered" –

(except Airbnb does not have guests covered,  the host covers them, having been mandated to absorb all the risk and loss.

Guests already have huge leeway to be refunded even with 'Strict'.  Extenuating circumstances is one of the ways with its broad latitude, far broader than any insurance company allows for, yet another risk that the host absorbs.♬♪♫♬♪♫♬♪♫♬♪♫♬♪♫♬♪♫♬♪♫♬

I have 'strict' and I refund guests who have made a 'mistake', (which for the most part means they didn't read the description), sometimes a few hours, sometimes weeks after the fact and sometimes near to the check-in date and sometimes with unproven broken ankles, and the like.  ♬♪♫♬♪♫♬♪♫♬♪♫♬♪♫♬♪♫♬♪♫♬

If this were really to support hosts the onus would be on Airbnb to make the cancellation policies "in your face" to guests, by adding a pop-up when they click book that reiterates the policy terms and a click acceptance of these terms being the only way to advance to making a reservation. This way if guests are not 'confident' about their plans, or it's on a whim, or shopping around, they have the full information staring them in the face and thus prior knowledge of what they are getting into before they book, which gives them  the option of not booking a listing with a 'strict policy'.  This method would also give pause for thought and thus 'mistakes' would not be so 'rampant'. If indeed they are.  Are they?  I have my doubts. ♬♪♫♬♪♫♬♪♫♬♪♫♬♪♫♬♪♫♬♪♫♬

I have 'strict' to deter irresponsible guests and it works. I have been very careful about how I work with Airb and how I protect myself and my listing, and as a result I have had only a couple of bad experiences. Now this protection is being stripped away! ♬♪♫♬♪♫♬♪♫♬♪♫♬♪♫♬♪♫♬♪♫♬

♪♫♬♪♫♬♪♫♬♪♫♬♪♫♬♪♫♬♪♫♬♪♫♬♪♫♬♪♫♬♪♫♬♪♫♬♪♫♬♪♫♬♪♫♬♪♫♬♪♫♬♪♫♬♪♫♬♪♫♬

Jameel-And-Zelena0
Level 2
Philadelphia, PA

@Ann10, @Lizziequestion I’ve read many positions here, and I’m new to ABB and never thought these issues were ever issues. However, can’t we take our addresses out of listings and just ‘show’ where we’re hosting via map and message the ‘confirmed’ within the 48hours. Seems to me everyone is talking about the problem and not a solution except to abb/feedback. I’m just asking, because in our setup process it almost caught a fight here; and I wanted to extend my cancellation policy out 15 days for myself to get another to refill. And, Zee took the other position until ‘just giving in’. I knew exactly what it meant if someone cancels as if we’re on booking.com; way larger company and way more chance to refill in 48hours, but not us as guests. @Mike, I don’t know how you see that and yet want us to ‘think positive’. This is a new business platform I specifically saw to start with ABB; however, like @Ann10 we have power too and not solely in voice but of action for if everyone shut down their calendars for ABB they’d HAVE to ask us to come to the round table. 

John1421
Level 3
Langhorne, PA

FWIW, the block info button (with an Airbnb disclaimer trying to get you to not activate the block) is active in mine today. Also, I noticed something about pinpointing your location on the map vs. a "general" area view for pubic view outside of your booking details. I made it the general area now. Not sure if that's old or new . 

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Thanks @John1421 for sharing that this option is now available on your account. 🙂

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Jameel-And-Zelena0
Level 2
Philadelphia, PA

Furthermore, if we as OWNERS continually only speak piece here and piece their it’s not enough as @David1719 wants everyone too to respond as far as the 48 hour twist. 

Martin140
Level 4
Canary Islands, Spain

@All0!
Please check your cancellation policy settings!!!!
The changes have been implemented!
My policy has been changed (not by me) from strict to moderate on one of our properties.

Martin140
Level 4
Canary Islands, Spain

@All0
Please note that there are now 2 "strict" policies, one of them the updated one with the 48 hour grace period.
To see which setting you currently actually  have you need to edit the policy!
I am starting to dislike these sneaky methods more and more.

Martin140
Level 4
Canary Islands, Spain

Personally I am not concerned regarding address, access codes, wifi etc. being made available because we do not provide these in detail to Airbnb in any case, or anybody else.
You are bound to have some conversation with the client, so why not provide this directly.
We usually communicate with guests directly via Whatsapp straight after the reservation and only after we have received flight number (being on an island this is 99,9% the case) we provide essential details.
Only on arrival will the guest know the house number and exact location and recieve key box codes.