Get guests you can trust— every time

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Get guests you can trust— every time

Hello everyone,

I hope you are having a good day.

I wanted to let you know that we have updated the booking process to make sure you don’t have to host repeat guests if you don’t want to. Now, anytime you give a guest 3 stars or less, that guest will not be able to instantly book any of your spaces, even if you have Instant Book turned on.

Find out more in our Help Center.

What do you think about these changes? We’d love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

263 Replies 263

@Lizzie - thanks for putting it in the Feature.  You've made this great landing page that I almost never go to the actual forum beginnings anymore, prefering to navigate from the Top, Recent, Unanswered.  

As for this policy, it's a start.  But you know me.... I have questions:

From which of the 3 categories we score them on, is the 3-star limitation going to kick in?  Any of them individually or an average of all 3 scores?  

And then, for those hosts who have the limitation of "positive reviews from past hosts", does a 3 star mean that they don't qualify or is it still only the thumbs up/thumbs down?  And how many 3-star scores do they need to get before they can't instant book when this criteria is turned on? 

Does a guest get a nasty-gram from Airbnb if they get a 3-star score from a host?  

The tough part about this is that some times there are perfectly nice people but it's just not the right fit - especially for the home-sharers.  As an example, I'm reminded of a couple of host stories where they had guests wandering around in just underwear or towels and that really bothered them. That kind of behavior, unless explicitly spelled out - you must wear clothes at all times - doesn't really fit in the 3 scoring categories: Cleanliness, Observance of House Rules, or Communication, but the hosts doen't want them back because its so uncomfortable to tell people to get dressed and it's clearly a matter of style. Another host found it really uncomfortable when guests went into the bathroom together and what's she going to do, write a house rule that states one guest in the loo at a time?  Silly.   And there was that one host who had a guest sort of torment her cat.  Now all of these three examples can be addressed by the host - please wear clothes, please don't go into the bathroom together, please leave my cat alone - but do you REALLY want this guest back?  So how do you mark them down so they don't, I mean, none of their behaviors are against any of the criteria and you can't mark them as thumbs down, because, as a host you know it just wasn't a good fit for you.  It's tough and very nuanced for sure.  

As I said - it's a good start!  

@Alice-and-Jeff0  Sent you a private DM.  Please be on the look out for it.  Had a couple of questions I wanted to ask you.  Hope to hear from you soon.    thanks for asking Lizzie those questions....they are so pertinent to so many of us who actually host in our homes like you do. 

If you feel that me or another host have helped you, feel free to click on the "thumbs up" button at the end of any post. Thank you so much.

Aloha, Momi

Great way to contact Airbnb or via Twitter at AirbnbHelp / Facebook

Hi Momi.. Loving and becoming so informed with all of your replies and posts... One more question... What does LEVEL 10 mean below your name...

Thank you,

Tina

@Tina107

Level 10 just means I contribute to the CC a lot.  I write back to others who ask for help.  Or I post my own NEW threads of conversations and notifications.  It is in no way a reflection of one's wisdom or expertise for me or any other hosts. 🙂

I believe my advice posts reflect that and I am grateful that you feel they have helped you.  Thank you for taking the time to share your appreciation directly with me.  My goal here is to help other hosts as much as I can and learn from others.  Been learning from others since 2015.  

Heed my warning though, just because someone is a Level 10 does not mean they contribute ACCURATE information.  That can be found 100% by using the HELP tab in your ABB account for anything you need answered as that comes directly from ABB.  For any subject question you might have.  I always show my hosts as their Co-Host how to use that tool in case I am not available.  Plus its very helpful to everyone, including me, a seasoned host of 2  years.  🙂

Welcome to Airbnb.  

@David126   --------->  LOL!!!!!!!

Edited:  to correct 1 typo

If you feel that me or another host have helped you, feel free to click on the "thumbs up" button at the end of any post. Thank you so much.

Aloha, Momi

Great way to contact Airbnb or via Twitter at AirbnbHelp / Facebook

I agree:

a guest that one does not want back does not necessarily merit a 3 star rating.

It is a way of saying that we are not allowed to block who is allowed to come but Airbnb sort of wants us to be able to do that.

It is also another way of saying that 'Superhost' designation does not entirely work because it focuses people too much on the 'standards' rather than an enjoyable experience for everyone involved.

My .02

If you wish to ask me about the logic that brought me to this conclusion, ask away!

Cheers, and have a good day.

Frances

@Lizzie

I agree with @Helga0 and @Branka-and-Silvia0 that guests who give 4 stars or lower in any single review category should be blocked from being allowed to book the same listing again. That way, guests will clearly know and understand that a 5 star rating is the NORM for a booking that has met their expectations. 

This should be done in addition to not allowing return guests who recieved a low (4 stars or less) rating from that host. IB obviously should be blocked but inquiries as well!!! As a host, I would not want to to have to reply to a guest who left a bad taste in my mouth in order to SPELL OUT "no I won't host you." 

FYI - (as a host) when I rate guests, this is what I'm thinking. 

★★★★★ I would love to host this guest again!!!!! 

★★★★     No problems and seems like a nice enough person but not a good fit with my listing or hosting style so I would not choose to host this guest again if I had the choice - BUT if I was desperate for a reservation, I might reconsider. 

★★★         Had some problems with this guest. Nothing serious but definitely do not want to host this guest again.  

★★             Lots of problems with this guest. Seriously thought about finding a way to get this guest out of my home/listing before the check-out date. 

★                 Serious problems with this guest. If possible, would like to get a restraining order to keep this guest away from me and my listing/home. 

@Jessica-and-Henry0, I would not block the four star reviews from rebooking. It's a business after all and you get customers, which you don't like as in ever business. As long as they don't do anything meriting 3 stars or lower, they can come back. 

Of those, I got quite a few. 

@Helga0

The only reason I would think to block a guest with a 4 star rating from booking again is because according to AIRBNB standards 4 stars mean you are below the required standard. Hosts constantly get threatening messages if their average rating if below 4 stars. Why should the rules be different for guests?? I would change my opinion and definition of the star rating I wrote above in a heartbeat if AIRBNB would acknowledge that 4 stars can be considered "acceptable" and "good" for hosts and guests alike. 

Now this is VERY COMPELLING because average should be 3 on a 5 point scale.  On the American ABCDF a grade C is passing and ok.  A 10 point scale might be interesting.

I agree with Helga. Three stars is where to draw the line.

Three stars means no IB regardless of whether the three stars comes from the guest or the host.

A block on  IB is not the same as  a block on all communication. A block on  IB just gives the host extra manuverability. Helga could still have a guest who went from 3 to 4 to 5 stars...

It sounds like there should be some checkbox where the host can say "This relationship doesn't work"  so the the host can block a guest without having to give an unfair bad rating. Maybe the guest is clean and honest and good looking and brushes their teeth and wears clothes in public and doesn't have any bathroom fetishes, but discusses politics  from one extreme or has intestinal issues or  has social skill isssues ( like me .)  The guest might deserve 5 star ratings in al categories, but since hosting works best as a **relationship**, the host should be able to block the guest in a way that doesn't require the guest's feelings to be hurt.

Karen & Jeff

I don't agree that 4 stars shold be a flunking grade. If

@Jessica-and-Henry0I love your idea! Its Superb!!!

I love Jessica and Henry's ideas. But in terms of meeting MY expectations for guests, how do you really rate a guest to 4*? It may not fit into those 3 categories currently provided by Airbnb. Secondly, does a 4* rating needs only one 4* in any category or it requires 4* in all three? 

I did get all positive comments in words but a 4* in rating from some guests. I was totally confused.

There is no real explanation of what the stars mean to any particular guest or host. I like your breakdown and find it useful.

I think star ratings should be explained to guests - including a 3 star rating means airbnb threatens to de-list the host.

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

I also think the cut of should 4 not 3 stars, if it 4 is bad for a host should not 4 be bad for a guest?

David
Jeanette53
Level 2
Hartbeespoort, South Africa

Thank you. This is good to know, especially that giving a 3 star rating will limit that guest from booking again.