Host Voice: Guidelines and Tips

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Host Voice: Guidelines and Tips

In Host Voice you can share ideas with the community and Airbnb. At the moment, Airbnb is particularly interested in Ideas for improving the mobile app to make hosting easier. However, you can submit an Idea on any topic.

How does it work?

Ideas posted are public and community members can comment and “thumbs up” the recently posted Ideas in the “All” section.

The Ideas with the most "thumbs up" from the community will be moved to the “Popular” section. Ideas that are not moved to this section will be archived.

The Ideas in the "Popular" section that have the most "thumbs up" and have well explained Ideas, will be shared with the Airbnb Product team for review. Though these Ideas will be reviewed they will not necessarily be developed. If Airbnb is interested in investigating the Idea further, then it will move to the "Featured" section.

Ideas in the "Featured" section will receive a Status in order to keep the community updated on the progress of the Idea. The first phase of this process will be researching the Idea further. Even a "Featured" Idea may not ultimately launch.

When posting an Idea, here are a few tips to keep in mind:

1. Make sure the Idea has not already been submitted. If there is already an Idea submitted that is close to or the same as the Idea you are submitting, please do not create a new Idea. Instead, comment on the existing Idea to help make it better.
  2. Only post a single Idea: if you have multiple Ideas for improving Airbnb, please submit each one separately.
  3. Have a simple "Title" for the Idea describing what the Idea accomplishes.
  4. Explain the problem that the Idea is going to solve. This will help demonstrate how the Idea provides value.
  5. Tag the Idea with the part of the website or mobile application that the Idea is related to.
  6. When possible, include screenshots from the application or website. Or even a drawing you have made on paper that you took a photo of.
  7. Be open to the Idea evolving: as the community discuss the Idea you have posted, there may be ways it can be improved. This is great! Embrace the support of the community and let the Idea evolve.

Host Voice is a new feature for the Airbnb Community. Thank you for your support and patience as we grow Host Voice into an engaging and valuable part of the Community Center.

Click here to visit Host Voice. We can't wait to hear your ideas!

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

40 Replies 40

@Dave135  Go to the Host Voice and support the post by Cliff to return to the old system of chronological reviews or at least the options to have that.  Sufficient host support allows ideas from the hosts can be sent to the Air BNB team.

Gary100
Level 1
Los Angeles, CA

My last guest stayed for a month. She asked not to pay for weekly cleaning service. She said she was the cleanest person ever. Well, when I got to the house after her stay it was disgustingly dirty. Garbage everywhere, filthy floors dirty laundry. and top top of all that a valuable cactus and a vintage planter is missing. I filed a complaint and sent photos that showed how she left everthing . Airbnb paid me 125.00 for cleaning and 125.00 to fix the dishwasher she broke. My stolen property case has been escalated to "Saftey and Trust" i have not recieved and response to my complaint for months. I am filing a complaint with The Palm Springs Police dept and let them open a case. Seems to me Airbnb is simply not equiped to handle missing property. That will make me think twice about using them agai.

Jeremy160
Level 2
Oakland, CA

I think the intent of asking for ideas and feature improvement is appreciated but the current implementation isn’t supportive of the concept.

The first recommendation of “Make sure the Idea has not already been submitted” is a bit useless because there is no way for one to review for a similar idea. There is no grouping or even search. The only way to know if there already exists a similar idea is by skimming through all 200+ existing submissions.

Help us to help you. Provide 1) fuzzy search function and/or 2) grouping by subject matter via tags.

@Lizzie For the app, I'd like to recommend a language setting.  Currently the app applies the language of the phone to itself.  For example, if your phone is set to French, the app will appear in French.  This is generally useful, but I'm wondering if there is a way for the app have its own language setting.  Thus, if I want my phone in French, but it's easier to conduct hosting business in English, then it would be wonderful to have the opportunity to select English in the app itself.  Thanks for listening!

Sixto2
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

Hello,

Although Airbnb's search methods am sure are based on proven analytics, it makes it extremely difficult to share my listing with friends or colleagues. Case im point:

When one places the title of the unit or even any other search word that is relevant to the unit, my friends have experienced that they get everyone except my listing.  It is extremely hindering to have to send the URL out to people, specially if you are referring when on phone.

Any advise,

Sixto Sicilia

Larry92
Level 2
Toronto, Canada

I think I think before any one can request a booking they should be required to post a clear photo of themselves and write a profile that lets hosts know who they are.

Exactly if there is no photo or information I usually ask to send one and offer information on self and their plans for their trip here to their destination.  Then I make a decision

Catherine697
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

1.As a host since 2011 I have found dealing with Airbnb the past 18 months very difficult the once knowledgeable staff has turned into a romper room of children answering phones for host concerns  and none able to assist with host concerns. Most staff I have to walk them through Airbnb policies as they are so new they do not understand the basics. My call last week had an Airbnb staffer answer my call as a law firm she quickly apologized and informed me she had just started and was used to answering the phone as the receptionist at her old employer. As a host listing over 40 properties since 2011 I have suggested that hosts with high volume should have a dedicated experienced staff person they can rely on to be able to contact much like my account with Expedia I have a dedicated contact person I can email directly and call with any issues with guests. At the current moment it’s a roll of the dice when you call and if you have the 15-20 minutes it states until the next available operator. 

2. The Airbnb guest damage policy 

As stated above I have been a host since 2011 and have never had a damage claim processed against a guest until 2 weeks ago the whole process of communicating with damage claim is absurd.

1. You will never be able to actually speak to anyone!....ever!

2. All corespondent will be done through email so you are left trying to figure out what exactly they are requesting document wise when they finally reply back 4-5 days later. Also you have 7 days to get all documentation or the case will be dropped that was not an issue, but when I sent pictures and documentation the same day of guest checkout damage agent replied not a good invoice when I replied back what was wrong with the estimate it took her 4 days to reply.

3. Guest knocked a hole in a jacuzzi tub that was in new condition and after supplying documentation pictures, invoice for replacement which was 3,821.00 I was sent a depreciated offer of 1,900.00 to replace my broken jacuzzi. I was told they depreciated it due to it’s age I explained ok so why was the labor depreciated to which I received a reply take it or leave it you have 48 hours and the offer will no longer be available. 

4. I had contacted Airbnb and spoke with a supervisor, but advised they have no control over damage claim agents as they work from home and they have no dedicated department in the office so there actually no one to speak to in regards to a guest damage claim. As I stated I have been an Airbnb host since 2011 and have never had guest damage claim processed until last week so I have never experienced the eneptness of Airbnb staff to this.

I can never accept or decline inquiries on the app as I cannot see how much money I would earn.... so its like being asked to sign a blank cheque. 

Mauricio26
Level 2
Oliva, Spain

Honestly I can find a place to suggest something to developers but in the website when you list the history of transaction can you please.

Either remove or allowed to filter out "canceled"  and "expired" transactions.

Also add to printing, maybe you could do add a  download option of data in any format compatible with estandar a spreadsheet softwares,  life CSV format.