How to use forum functionalities and features?

Marjo0
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

How to use forum functionalities and features?

Hi all,

There are some functionalities on this new platform that you might not be familiar with yet. In case you have any questions on some of the basic functionality of this platform, please check out the following FAQs.

You can click on the answer to expand for more info:

How do I post a discussion topic or reply to one? For old Groups platform users: What if I want to have a discussion thread specifically for my Group?

Read more

To start a new discussion:

1. Go to the board where you want to post.
  2. Click on “Start a discussion
  3. In the Subject field, enter your discussion title. For example, if you want to set up a discussion for your Group that you had in our old platform, you can type the Group name in this field. It will then be visible in the discussions listing for this board.
  4. In the Body field, type your message. Be sure to include all necessary details. You can also @-mention other users to notify them of this specific discussion (see FAQ below).
  5. Click the Post button underneath. Your discussion will appear in the discussions listing of the board you were on.

Replying to a post:

Click Reply to respond to a particular post. The button is accessible at the bottom of each post when you are logged in. The Reply Message screen is similar to the Post Message screen.

As we are waiting for a quoting function, you can tag the member you are replying to by adding an @-mention, so they get a notification (see more info below about this function).

How do I insert an image in a post?

Read more

You can insert images from your computer or from another location on the web.

1. Start a new post (either a new discussion, or a reply to an existing discussion)
  2. Click Insert Image in the editor's tool bar (the icon looks like a camera).
  3. Choose one of the image source options and follow the on-screen instructions. 

What is a Most Helpful reply and how to use it?

Read more

Most Helpful reply is a way for you to choose the reply that best answers a question that you've posted. When you choose a Most Helpful reply, both the question and the solution get special icons and links that take you directly from the question to the answer.

A Most Helpful reply icon also appears on boards and in search results so you can see which messages have solutions.

You can mark a reply as Most Helpful only for questions that you've posted (you started the thread). Community Team staff can also mark one of the replies to a message as the Most Helpful reply.

How do I mark a message as Most Helpful?

To mark a message as Most Helpful, click the appropriate button on the reply.

What is Thumbs Up?

Read more

Thumbs Up is a feature you can use when you want to show that a post you have read is helpful or otherwise valuable to you.

When you give thumbs up to a message, you encourage good content and give a pat on the back to its author. Using this feature helps to boost the value of certain messages and enhance the reputation of their authors.

Giving thumbs up is as easy as a single click, but the impact of Thumbs Up ripples across the community.

How do I @-mention someone? What is this function for?

Read more

This is a way to "tag" someone in a post. You can mention someone by typing the @ character, and then choosing the member's username you intend to tag from the list that appears. This means the person will get a notification letting them know that someone has tagged them in a post, and they will know to come and read it.

This will be especially useful when you are replying to a thread, and want to show context for your reply (whose post you are replying to).

Will I be able to edit or remove content?

Read more

You will be able to edit your own content within a 45-minutes period after you have submitted your post.

Members won’t be able to delete posts, but if you feel like you have posted something in error and need to remove or edit something, you can report your post by using the "report inappropriate content" (or contact staff via Direct Message), and we will help you out. 

Can I send a person a direct message?

Read more
 Only hosts with an active listing can send a direct message to another host of the same status. To access this feature, simply click on the user's profile image. An information bubble will pop up displaying a link to access the user's Airbnb profile alongside a link to send a message.
DM
Send Message

This will send a notification directly to the recipient who can reply to you directly from their mailbox. *Top tip - it will only send if include a subject title. 🙂

What is a "Tag"?

Read more
 A tag is a word or a collective of words related to a given subject. Depending upon which Discussion Room you are posting in they will usually appear to the top right of the page.

Tags

If you click on the tag topic you will then have access to all of the discussions related to those keywords.

To add tags, you will see a box at the bottom of your post.
Add tagsAdd Tags
If you have already posted you can click 'add a tag' found at the bottom of your post. 

-------------------------

New to the Community Center? Check Getting Started for guidelines and info.

6 Replies 6

Thanks Marjo! This is useful information.

Hosting since Thanksgiving Day 2012 and over 1,000 stays. May you ever be the benevolent ruler of your own domain--YOUR life. Allow no other to rule over it.
Mary10
Level 2
Bella Vista, AR

1. This is my first time to the Community Site.
  2. How do I join a group?
  3. Are their numerous groups?
  4. I've been Airbnb hosting for a year and a half in NW AR.
  5. Thanks.  Mary in the Ozarks.
Nancy2
Level 6
Sacramento, CA

Is there a way to "unfollow" a post?  I clicked in the box that said to "email me when someone replies".  Unfortunately it's a post that is never ending (no one replying to my particular post) and I'd like to not be emailed any longer when someone replies in the general thread.

The old forums had a follow/unfollow button.

I've tried going back into where I posted to see if the option is there but I don't see anything.

Thanks for your help!

Nancy

Dieneke0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Marjo1

I am still having problems with inserting images when replying to a post. This is because I am trying to create 'themed' posts, so that others can add and might want to add images. The only option seems to be the internet but not attaching an image from your local computerl

Am i doing the wrong thing?

Thanks

Dieneke

Friedrich0
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

I'm a host in London and aktiv in many commuitys. About 3 years a go I foundet the Morocco Air Bnb group,because I have family connection to Morocco and like to help this country .I run 2 Morroco Facebook sites for the same reason.Whit the new structure,the Morrocan group,last has 400 Members is gone.

So is the London groups I was member, the new strukture look for me not better! I find it hard to poste any thing, it was easy in the past.

Is this the "thank you " from Airbnb,for 3 years  work ,to build a Airbnb group.

Rose109
Level 2
Taipei City, Taiwan

Be careful!!

A group of people who claiming are bloggers,lied to help promote the exchange for free accommodation

They are come from Manila,philippines

Instagram:

@davidguison

@vinaguerrero

@kattvaldez