Message from Chip Conley

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Message from Chip Conley

Hello Everyone,

I know many of you have either met, spoken to or even heard him speak before, so Chip Conley, Head of Global Hospitality & Strategy, has asked me to pass on a message to you all here in the Community Center:

Nearly four years ago, the Airbnb founders asked me to come out of semi-retirement as a hotelier and help them evolve Airbnb into a world-class hospitality company. While this was supposed to be a part-time role, it quickly became immersive.

My first step was to travel around the world to more than twenty major cities and meet with you, our host community, to understand what matters to you and to learn more about how we can serve you better. Along the way, I also shared some hospitality tips as well as best practices I'd learned from many of you. And, I'm proud of creating the Airbnb Open. Based upon the variety of means we used to create a great Airbnb host community, our guest satisfaction scores are now substantially higher than the average for the global hotel industry. You truly are the best hospitality experts in the world!

It's now time for me to transition to a Strategic Advisor role serving the founders in the areas of Hospitality and Leadership. While I’m scaling back from a full-time role, I will continue to advocate for you and champion home sharing worldwide (I'm writing this from Stockholm where I'm giving a speech on home sharing). It's been an honor getting to know so many of you and be part of the movement to democratize hospitality. Keep opening homes and opening your hearts! It's good not just for your guests. It's good for you, too. 

Share with Chip and the rest of community, what motivates you to continue opening your home and your heart? Plus, if you have any kind words you would like to say to Chip, feel free to share them here, I am sure he would be really pleased to hear from you. 

We look forward to hearing from you. 🙂

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

50 Replies 50
Mark26
Level 10
Melbourne Beach, FL

Dear Chip,

We see that you've been with AirBnB for four years now.  Congratulations on that. You've worked very hard, and you should be very proud of the work you've done.  One thing we've noticed however is that there are lots of people working in the hospitality industry at a substantially lower wage than you.  While we appreciate all your hard work, I wonder if you would perhaps consider working for something in the range of $9.25 per hour. There are lots of people working for less in hotels all across the country and I think you'll find that if you lower your wage to $9.25 per hour, your calendar will be so full, you won't have any free time to have to worry about.

How about it Chip?  Why not give Wage Tips a try?  While you're at it, you should turn on Instant Book, so that we can book you into speaking engagements in Moose Lodges, VFW halls, and Elementry Schools across the country without even bothering to ask if you'd like to speak there. You just wake up, and look at your calendar to see what you're doing next. With Wage Tips, and Instant Book, you'll be standing in front of more lecterns than you could ever imagine. And... you'll get to eat some really suspicious food while you're at it.

Again.... Congratulations Chip... you're doing a great job.

Lmao @Mark26!

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello,

Thanks again for the extra comments.

You have raised many very important points here and I know it probably doesn't mean much, but I understand your feelings. From my position here in the Community Center, I spend a lot of time reading comments posted by you and the rest of the community, so I know where this is coming from. I equally don't find it enjoyable to hear your frustrations, however I think the Community Center is a place for you to be able to share your thoughts and discuss with others and it enables me to understand more about what feelings the Community is having (this also includes more positive sentiment too - which we do have lots of here).

As I mentioned in my reply above, I really want to highlight again that your feedback doesn't go unnoticed - it is so important. I collate this on a daily and weekly basis and report this back to the team, I also try to find out further information to provide you. This is on-going, but as the CC is still relatively young, it does take time, so we are working on this and we hope to improve this month on month. On a small point, I think it is also important to mention that here in the CC, if you have had an update on the information you share on an issue, for example if you are waiting for a payment and then you receive it, it would be fantastic to hear back on this. This enables me and other community members to understand the situation better. 🙂

Lastly, I want to let you know that my goal is always to strengthen our host community here and represent your voice. I can't give you any timeframes or promises at the moment, however I am here for you and will continue to work to improve this. 

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Taylor1
Level 1
Killington, VT

Hi there, I was fortunate to have met Chip at the Paris AIRBNB Open event, cut short by a horrific event, never-the-less a most amazing meeting of likeminded, hospitality focused people from around the globe. His encouragement made me want to expand my Airbnb experiences.  I love being a host, in fact a Super Host.  My Vermont USA property lends itself perfectly to hosting folks wishing a friendly ski or summer holiday in the Killington Resort community.  Hosting for me is a passion, a way to share my home and my hospitality with 'friends' I had never met before.  It is both a small business and a big lifestyle.  Treating strangers with the kindness and attention one gives to their family is how I believe we can create a better world, one stay at a time.  It works.

I have now been hosting for three years in Vermont and also currently in Sarasota Florida where I own a small beach condo.  Having stayed with hosts in Paris, West Virginia and Florida.  I can say I enjoy being hosted very mush as well. I plan to be in Singapore later this year, a place I would have been hesitant to go on my-own, but knowing an AIRBNB host will be there makes me feel very comfortable going to a foreign land.

Attention to details, extreme cleanliness, always being available even if its just by text, and above all a friendly smile and attitude creates success !  Airbnb, creating a better world one guest at a time ! Gotta LOVE IT !

Momi0
Level 10
Honolulu, HI

@Lizzie  I have tried to so hard to figure out how to send you a message through the INBOX system (as I have used before), but my messages are getting bounced back and then disappearing. Its so frustrating bc I have been writing you and the many hosts who have reached out to me through that private message forum. One message was written by another host and not delivered for 2 weeks to my Inbox.  I am convinced now that you have not gotten my messages as I have not heard back from you. 

So I am using this forum to take a moment to say that I ABSOLUTELY LOVED THE HANDWRITTEN CARD YOU & KRISTIN WROTE ME....yes it brought tears to my eyes.  I couldn't believe it when I saw the European stamp on the card.....and I had no clue who sent it even though I received many cards during the holidays from other friends and hosts because I didn't see an address. 

Words alone cannot express enough how much it meant to me that you did that.  If there is any chance you can look on Instragram, you will see just how much I love my beautiful Airbnb card.  I am even framing it.  haha.  (Airbnb sent me a new WORLD map the day before to use with my guests (hosted 20 countries and 23 states now)...so much love was sent to me that I am OVERJOYED! 

I thought you might want to know that we have an awesome network group of hosts from all over the world who follow each other on Instragram and we help each other with so many issues, advice, concerns and its such a positive DAILY experience. I am so happy to have been invited to this group.  We gather in a group on WHATS APP in private. They nicknamed me the Airbnb Sensei ...LOL.  I am currently helping each hosts with their listings, photos and House Rules.  Its been so much fun to help them.  And now I have even more places and these amazing hosts I want to visit!  They truy care about what they are doing.  🙂

Wishing you both many great days ahead in this new Year and please know that I think about you and the CC quite often.  I will always be around to help when I can.  I even still talk to Jeet on a weekly basis and enjoy those chats so much. I found out he received an Award too at that Host Day in India.  He told me my video gave him the confidence boost he needed to make his presentation.  What a great guy he is. I cant' wait to host him.  And you as well.  Hawaii will always be a warm place for you should you crave it. And yes I will definitely be making you my yummy Hawaii Stuffed Banana French Toast....hawaiian style.  🙂

Much Aloha Always,  Hawaii Superhost, 

If you feel that me or another host have helped you, feel free to click on the "thumbs up" button at the end of any post. Thank you so much.

Aloha, Momi

Great way to contact Airbnb or via Twitter at AirbnbHelp / Facebook

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Taylor1,

What a lovely post, it is great to hear about the time you met Chip and the encouragement he gave you - sounds like it has stuck with you. 🙂 It is also exciting you are planning a trip to Singapore later this year, there are so many amazing listings there, I am sure you will be spoilt for choice. Thank you for sharing and do let us know how your plans go.   

@Momi0, it is fantastic to see you back in the Community Center. Happy 2017 (I think I can still get away with saying this)!

I am so pleased you received the card and to hear how overjoyed you were, this is wonderful and I almost want to frame your response and place it on our office wall! 🙂 It was funny though whilst writing the cards, I realised how little I write letters by hand these days! 

I am sure Kirstie and I would love to visit Hawaii and with Hawaii stuff French toast, I am very tempted to jump on a plane as we speak. I wish you a very happy 2017 and another year full of hosting joy.

Thanks to you both.

Lizzie 

--------------------

Morris2
Level 2
Calgary, Canada

Get a semi-retired iron-worker from Diluth,Minnesota, USA that has just had his 35 year built pension plan ripped-off, has a chip on his shoulder, can't support his ailing wife, and saw this "great supplementing idea" to fill his empty-nest, to stand up & speak of the wonderful people he'll meet as a host, and the travel possibilities for his future.

We'll see if the same "upper-management, hired-gun consultant" cheeriness spills from his lips.

Why not spend some of that hundred-million U made to create better hosting services, instead of hiring "love-in" gurus.

That's about right @Morris2!

Well gosh @Lizzie I don't really mean to be offensive to Chip Conley and I apologize to Chip if I came off that way.

I get that if it wasn't for Airbnb that I would not have such an opportunity to "share" my space and make some money.  I do appreciate it but the thing is I wish like anything I would have signed up with airbnb years ago before guests were so demanding and expectations were not so high for such low prices; but I joined a year ago just when there were hundreds of new hosts and competition is now cut-throat and half the guests I got had an attitude - like they were expecting the Taj Mahal when I only have an outdated granny annex.

You see I am older (70) and I have problems making ends-meet and I want to make a little money.  I would say that this is the reason 99% of hosts do this and that is to make money.  Why else would anybody want to clean bathrooms after people and try to get the body odor out of sheets and blankets because guests expect (understandibly) fresh smelling bed linens.  It is not so easy getting a place spotless and everything in order with bagels, snacks, drinks and have that sweet smile on your face when you find out that a guest has not read your rules, or listing details or tries to show up with boyfriend in tow and then says, “I hope you don’t mind” and “boyfriend made reservation and forgot to put 2 people in for the reservation” and when I have started accepting only 1 person because of this very reason; and you can find out about the guest but not the traveling companion because people lie @Lizzie -

a lot of guests do lie just like a lot of guests are wonderful too.  However it seems to me that Airbnb only wants to think that ALL guests are wonderful and refuse to acknowledge that a lot of guests can also be jerks and liars.

Heck, my country just elected a jerk and a liar for President for heaven's sake!  Most people are upset about it (Women's March all over the world) but then there are still a lot of people who don't care anymore that people lie, cheat and try to get away with stuff.  This is the reality and I wish Airbnb would just try to acknowledge that there ARE bad guests out there and try to show a little more support to hosts who get the raw end of this deal.  I don't think it would take very much on Airbnb's part to defend and support their hosts just a little bit more.  I know it would help to make me feel better about Airfbnb if they did.

In the end I must say that all I know is that I have had only 4 Airbnb guests in an entire year and two of them had an "attitude" when I bent over backwards for them.  That is a bummer but okay it happens but now I am not getting guests or inquires because I tried instant-book and got screwed over (with the boyfriend) and so I turned it off.  The other thing is that in Sept. I signed on with VRBO Homeaway and instantly got two long term guests for the winter so I am booked solid through March with VRBO people.  The one VRBO guest I have staying there now is the most wonderful guest I ever had and I have been doing this for many years.

Hey I would love for Airbnb to have sent me wonderful guests for the winter but they didn't - VRBO did.  So how can I "qualify" for superhost when I don't get any guests from Airbnb?

Airbnb, or Chip Conley please read my lips and the lips of hundreds of hosts - "Instantbook stinks!"   ......  and ....... "the star system for hosts stinks!"  Thank you.

So bottom line from my perspective Airbnb needs to do better and listen better to us hosts and what we are trying to tell them. Thanks.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello everyone,

Just to let you know, I am going to move this thread to the Welcome & Announcements board now. 

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

o wow - I just spent some time reading the whole thread, and I am amazed at the vitriole and hostility coming out in some posts. 

The whole obsession with Airbnb favorings guests, and that just about everything they are doing is not well thought out, and how most new thing they are rolling out are met with suspicion, then garnering "support" for such  inflammatory and one sided comments (hahaha, that is how some hosts get their thumbs up counts enhanced..) : seems like those contributors have never run a company or a business, and are also not understanding that hosting via Airbnb IS also running a business, albeit a minuscule tiny one - yet they know what the company needs to do, they know what's best....etc...

I am not  a goody two shoes by a long shot , I totally recognize that  lots of things could be handled  better by  Airbnb - but I am looking for a balance and a more nuanced approach to things, carried by knowledge and insight, not venting. If each host out there would just make sure they have a great, easy to understand listing, with attractive pictures, well thought out house rules, AND have a throrough understanding of Airbnb's rules instead of expecting hand holding and crying wolf at every opportunity- 90% of the complaints would evaporate.

I for one appreciate the opportunity to enjoy hosting, make some money along the way, meet great people here in the forums, and  all of that for a meager subtraction of 3% to Airbnb!! A bit of gratitude is in order.

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

AirBnB take a lot more than 3%.

David

as of now, @David126 , they take 3% in service fees from me. what else are they taking from me?

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

They charge about 15% of my gross.

Which is around about the industry norm, can be higher.

David

@David126, I was just talking about what Airbnb takes in fees from the host. not what they collect in total, adding what they take from guests. I remember that you construed it somewhere such as that ultimately the host also pays the guest's fees. We just have a different opinion on that.

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

I don't know why I've missed most or 90% of this thread while it was going on (maybe while taking a break from CC trying to get a life LOL), but stumbled upon it now.

As a regular (no Andrea, you're an addict, admit it!...) on the forum like the others here I've seen so many different complaints and situations of pure drama. Often, but not always, the problem could have been avoided had the hosts themselves been less naeive and more pro-active in taking measures to ensure they weren't simply handing over their property to unseen and unidentified guests. Other cases sadly, were more unforeseeable kind.

Even with only renting a room I really try to think like a lawyer in case of any later problems and to be prepared and hopefully covered in case of any dispute. Other than that I have things under control, and the only wild card is those damned reviews.

While a more substantial income from an independent unit somewhere else away from my own home would be lovely, I'm not sure I'd want the stress of not having as much control over what's going on with it. Besides the fact that such rentals aren't legal here in Amsterdam.

Let's face it, Airbnb is selling a product and trying to whip hosts into shape with tips like Chip's. Sure, he's good - I love his tips about naming your minus points and flaunting the positive ones. Did Airbnb have to employ him for tons of money instead of buying his book and hiring him for a couple of stints? probably not,. Yet don't we all know a company gets a much better reputation by being able to sell the fact they actually have somebody like Chip on their team and not just his dog-eared book on their shelf and his number on speed dial.

So far Airbnb is the best platform I have up to now to rent my room, and I'm still a fan. No, I haven't gotten myself an Airbnb logo yet for the same reason I never felt I needed to get one of any guy I was ever smitten and together with. As long as I'm offered a great platform to make an income wit my little cash-cow room, I'm on board. Doesn't mean I'm blind to what irritates me, like all those sneaky changes - as in how  'ID verification' can now be optionally replaced with some personal questions instead of a govn't ID - I will continue to remain critical and the guardian of my abode using those tools I have available. The more lenient Airbnb becomes with protecting hosts, the more I will probably become with cracking down on my own guest checking. Who knows, in future I might have to have them sign a check-in register with agreement to cover damage they cause...

Let's just say I'm happy to sit around the Airbnb hospitality table and enjoy the company, but when the Koolaide is passed around, I'll pass and continue drinking my water. And  if I'm told I'm sitting on a wonderful and safe chair I'll still glance down to check it's on at least 4 legs and not 3.

And why should I be surprised that Airbnb is no different than some people in my professional network who sound so amazing when they talk about themselves and what they offer, but turn out to be just better at talking...  Look at so many tutorials telling you to do exactly that in varying degrees!

Yes, I do have a beef now and then with some of Airbnb's attitudes and esp. the constant and irritatingly unproductive fiddling around with website functions, the efficiency of which completely eludes me. Why not implement some real improvement to make a real difference to those actually using the site daily.

And yes, their helpdeskers aren't always the most experienced. However, I've never encountered any who were not friendly or at least sounded as though they wanted to help. And after I, an experienced host nota bene, managed to **bleep** up how I attempted to resurrect a guest cancellation yesterday made 12h earlier I still bask in the helpful fuzzy thankful glow of my new hero Mick from the Dublin office with the slight Irish accent who set everything straight only hours before my guest arrived.

(Oh and BTW, the guest about whom I was starting to have misgivings over turned out to be absolurely lovely! Who's ever heard of a French-speaking Chinese accordion player?!)

So Chip, are you listening? Please, please, please, could you pass on some advice to the techies to quit fiddling around with inconsequential stuff on the site and finally concentrate on what really matters - making the job easier for hosts instead of regularly wasting our time having to figure out where what went for the next week and a half, before it all reverts back to how it was!

Also Chip, could  you communicate to whoever decides stuff like this, that if hosts don't feel forced into things they'll probably feel much more relaxed and happy to become even better hosts. I'm talking about for ex. feeling forced to accept IB for better placement and thus  losing control and having to accept even terrible guests/spammers/criminals without proper ID check. I KNOW there's this thing about non-discrimination yada yada. But  ever notice that despite all politicizing, not all humanity out there is wonderful and wants our best at heart? Some only plan to rent our stuff to trash it in parties or even steal our stuff because they don't want to pay or can pay to get stuff like it. Let IB be used by those who don't care, but let the algorithms not make a difference between IB and non-IB,

Oh yes, and Chip, while I've got your ear, do tell me you're not unaware of the huge burn-out potential of those Airbnb-mandatory 5-star reviews? I think I'm speaking for many of us great hosts when I say that **bleep** star corsett is taking quite a bit of fun out of hosting.