New to the forum? Introduce yourself here!

Marjo0
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here!

**We now have a new introduction discussion, to view click here. We look forward to hearing from you. This topic is closed to new replies. Thank you **

Hi everyone,

Welcome to the Airbnb Community Center. This thread is for introducing yourself to your fellow Airbnb forum members, as well as welcoming and saying hi to newcomers in return, in order to make everyone feel like they belong.

I'm Marjo, and I lead the Community Center staff team who will manage this online forum on a daily basis. You will see me posting here sometimes, along with our other English community staff member @Lizzie, who has just joined as well and will be introducing herself in this thread too - Lizzie will be managing the English community full-time once we launch the forum.

Here's a few additional facts about me:

1. My favourite city is San Francisco. I spent hours and hours of time there on Google street view for years, until I actually got to visit the city in person recently. Such a friendly and colourful place!
  2. I have 2 cats which probably makes me a bit of a (crazy) cat lady.
  3. I'm originally from Helsinki, Finland.

How about you, any fun facts you want to share? 🙂

I'm looking forward to getting to know all of you so feel free to reply to this thread and say hello!

-------------------------

New to the Community Center? Check Getting Started for guidelines and info.

1,250 Replies 1,250
Lyn100
Level 2
New South Wales, Australia

Hi Everyone, 

My name is Lyn and I am from the Central Coast, NSW, Australia.  The Central Coast is approximately 1 hour north of Sydney, a beautiful part of the world to live.  I moved  here from Sydney many years ago, it used to be a very quiet place, but now it is busy, many people commute to Sydney or Newcastle.  I live a 5 minute driveto numerous beautiful beaches, and I live a 2 minute walk to a large lake.

I only started in October 2017 after visiting Airbnbs in England & Italy in the middle of that year.  I listed my booking and had a booking 10 minutes later (I thought "Oh ! I'm not ready yet") , but I managed.  I wasretiredafter visiting many homes on my trip in 2017 and talking with the guests that I realised that I enjoy sharing ideas, travel stories and gaining travel information from people from many different nationalities in this beautiful world we all share.  I became a Superhost in the first 3 months and have been a Superhost 4 times consecutively.  I am the type of person that if I am going to do something  I like to do it well.

I keep good records of my future, current & past guests(from my previous 'life' as a bookkeeper),  I do the cleaning and bed making myself, I pride myself on how I do it, I have a routine that I follow, which I think is a must to do hosting well.  I put a chocolate on each guests pillow and a flower in the guest room, if I have one in bloom.  When I finish the room I double check that I haven't forgotten something -

milk in the fridge, magazines & a couple of books of sayings, poems etc.

Besides the fridge in their room, I also have teamaking facilities including biscuits, a TV/DVD player (I think probably most B'& Bs' have these.)   I joke as an 'icebreaker' that I do all the work to have the room  ready, but my dog, Sally gets all the attention !!  This really helps, I think, in making guests feel comfortable. As a background in social work, I tend to think I can judge if guests want to interact or just want to do their own thing, but letting them know I am here if they need anything.  I have waffled on a bit here, but I guess this is what this forum is like.

Cheers Lyn

@Lyn100, Well done and welcome to the forums. You are exacltly what one would imagine and hope for in a BnB Host. Good to hear from you.

Regards Christine 

Hi I'm Aube and new to this forum. I'm hosting in Bekasi, Indonesia.

Denise429
Level 2
North Carolina, United States

Hi Fellow AirBnBer's!  My name is Denise and I'm originally from Brooklyn, New York and am hosting a home in Greensboro, NC.  I just started in late October 2018 and have been booked basically every weekend!  I'm learning the ropes as I go along.  However, I have been renting apartments as a landlord in Brooklyn, New York for many, many years (yes, I'm a baby Boomer!)  I love to learn and am always looking to improve upon an endeavor I may undertake.  So here I am.... excited to learn from those who have been doing this for a while as well as those who have just begun.

About me:  Married to a wonderfuly support husband.  Have 1 dog (although I previously have 3 when I first moved to NC 10 years ago!).  Love saving organic seeds from my organic garden.  Love helping others and being a good steward over what I have been given.  Avid journaler and piano player.  Just loving and living life as it should be..... peacefully!

Why AirBnB?  Been thinking about doing this for several years, but was working on other projects.  We buy, renovate and rent out homes.  I love to entertain and decorate, so this is a perfect match for me.  I truly enjoy hosting and all that goes along with it!  One thing though, it's important to have a system in place.  I've trained the cleaners from the cleaning company I'm working with and so far they are coming along in doing things the way that I want them done.

Secondly, I'm a communicator (as you can see), so prompt response to a guest's inquiry is important to me as well as going above and beyond to resolve any issue that may come up.  

I strive to contually improve upon anything that I am doing, so this is truly going to be an ongoing process for me of improvements!

We also have a second historic home in Brooklyn, New York which I plan to use 2 rooms for AirBnB as well.  

Wishing everyone much success... but most importantly, enjoy what your're doing.... Hosting is the ultimate in entertaining to me!  Have a Happy New Year.

Linda1213
Level 6
Vero Beach, FL

Hi all! New host here, also.

My hubs and I Live in a small beautiful town on the Atlantic Ocean in Florida. Most of the 4 kids have moved on to other parts of the world {some keep coming back}. We have spent  the past 15 years working on an acre of tropical jungle surrounding our casa {the jungle may have won}. We have a lovely guest house/Casita...{as we tend to call the whole compound a hacienda} on our property that my Mom lived in and Loved. Sadly she passed away earlier this year.

After much thought,We decided to list it on airbnb instead of rent long term, and did some minor renovations and redecorating. Her beautiful energy seems to be in the house and garden.

A small 700 sf barn is also seated on the property that I hope to start renovating with the proceeds. That is the dream, anyway.

Our town is a  "seasonal" area from Dec-March...and so the minute I listed it {without very good pics or description} it was booked, and pretty solidly through March. This was equally scary and thrilling. tonight we welcomed our fourth guests. While I listed it in October...I blocked off time until the end of December to get it ready.

This community has been a TERRIFFIC source of education and inspiration, and I truly thank you for that!

LBR
Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

**We now have a new introduction discussion, to view click here. We look forward to hearing from you. This topic is closed to new replies. Thank you **

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.