See your guests' star ratings

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

See your guests' star ratings

Screen Shot 2017-10-16 at 15.58.00.png

Hello everyone,

We have heard from conversations in the CC that you would like to know more about guests that book your listing via Instant Book. I therefore wanted to let you know about a new feature which allows you to see how other hosts have rated the guests coming to stay at your place. You’ll be able to see both their overall rating and a breakdown.

If you’re uncomfortable with a reservation on Instant Book at any time, you can cancel penalty-free. And if you ever rate a guest at 3 stars or below, they won’t be able to instantly book with you again.

Screen Shot 2017-10-16 at 16.04.09.png

To find out more, take a look at this blog article.

We hope these updates are helpful. Please let me know your thoughts!

Thanks,

Quincy

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

43 Replies 43
Sarina-and-Fiona0
Level 2
Melbourne, Australia

We use Instant Book feature and always have.

Today, we received a request from a guest, who was booking for a party of 4 adults and who had a 1 star review from a previous host.

Before we had a chance to decline their request based on their poor review, they cancelled it themselves, then sent through another request using a newly created and different profile with no reviews.

We were relieved that they didn't use Instant Book, so we were able to decline their request easily.

In my opinion, Instant Book should not be an option for any guest with an overall rating of 3 stars or less.

Elaine179
Level 2
Youngsville, LA

I read that Self Check-In will be ending in April but could not find any information about how it will work after that.  

Carol407
Level 4
St. Louis, MO

The star review for Instant Booking is very helpful.  It would also be helpful for guest inquires that cannot Instant Book because they have not met basic host identification criteria.

Sara745
Level 2
Fort Worth, TX

I am a new host.  Just had someone instant book and I noted they only have one review.  The review was good but the previous host only gave them 3.5 stars.  Marking them down for cleanliness and following house rules.  How do other hosts handle this?

Allan-C-0
Level 3
New York, NY

We are new hosts and we are not on IB as of now but at first we had the IB on and we received a guest and she was also a new member and had no reviews.  We kind of lucked up and there were no problems and she was a great guest.  However, we gave her a great review within the time frame  but we haven't gotten a review from her as yet and we are approaching the 14 days to post a review - she has reached out to let us know she will post the review but nothing yet,  and we were great hosts to her.   If a review is not posted as to what kind of hosts we were to her-what can come of this?

Lisa5
Level 2
Washington, DC

My ABB room is in my own house, so I want and need to see the prior reviews of the requesters. Some potential guests provide only a one sentence descriptor of themselves, but they continue to see our paragraphs of welcome to strangers. This imposed blind spot is an unfair and unnecessary change.  Please change it back to as it was.

Ann10
Level 10
New York, NY

More manipulation by Airbnb. Why can't we all see the guests star ratings? They can see ours. 

Sue174
Level 4
Ottawa, Canada

@Quincy, clicking on the guest's overall star rating doesn't give me the breakdown in each category as you suggest. I clicked on the guest's overall rating, which was only 4.5, curious where she was lower and see only other hosts' written reviews of her, which tells me very little because they are very vague. Am I doing something wrong? 

Fiona243
Level 10
Birkenhead, United Kingdom

I just had a terrible guest stay with me (extra person that she has refused to pay for, very messy and dirty rooms). All I could see about her prior to her stay was that she had just under 5 stars overall (4 full stars and partially shaded 5th star). She had 2 nice written reviews one from 2015 and one from 2016, both those hosts giving her full 5 stars (i.e. not accounting for the less-than-5-stars overall), so I decided to accept her booking request.

With hindsight, it would seem that the bad written reviews from hosts who gave her less than 5 stars had been hidden from me, so that all I saw were 2 good written reviews. To say I am annoyed about this  is an understatement. Obviously some prior host awarded her less than 5 stars, but there was no evidence of why they did this on the guest profile. If I had known what sort of guest she was going to turn out to be, I would have declined her request.

Floyd6
Level 2
Washington, DC

Yes because I let a guest book again without seeing that she had a4 star rating. And she is a homeless drug head. I came home from work and caught her sitting on my porch smoking weed. Also she was stealing my food and drinking  sodas like she paid for them. I will give her 1 star this time.

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

I use instant book but have specific conditions set up.

👉🏼 Touch wood 🌴, I’ve never been let down by it, and I do always look at the star system. If they have say four out of five, I start hitting the messages at them so they know the expectations of booking my place. It’s very helpful. Alternatively, when I’m contacted by other guests, it’s the communication that allows my gut feeling to accept or deny the enquiry. 

🙂

Cathie

Barbara12
Level 2
Mullingar, Ireland

Has this very helpful feature changed recently? Looking at a new enquiry today from a guest with 7 reviews I cannot see their star rating, and am at a loss whether to invite them to stay or not, since the reviews seem to be slightly lukewarm rather than enthusiastic.

Susie111
Level 10
Tasmania, Australia

Hi @Quincy,

I found this very strange.

I do have IB and on my latest booking enquire it did not show up any guest star rating and still today

when I click on her guest profile only 3 reviews???

Audrey381
Level 1
East Granby, CT

I don't think it is fair that only the instant book hosts get to see the guest ratings.  Since we don't know their names, profiles, pictures or anything about them, how is it safe or appropriate to allow a total stranger into your home?  Yet Airbnb pressures everyone to provide ratings.  So if some guests have trashed a place, I don't know that until after they have booked.  I am a superhost so if I cancel a reservation after I learn than booked guests are a big risk, I lose my well-earned status for a year, plus other penalties.  Total unfair!