Your top questions about Host Guarantee

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Your top questions about Host Guarantee

1513332473.png

Hello again, Hosts!

Your ideas and questions about the Host Guarantee have sparked some important conversation at Airbnb headquarters. As with our recent Q&A posts on Smart Pricing, Search, and Instant Book, we collected lots of questions from you here in the Community Center—this time on the Host Guarantee. We’ve got insights for you from the Host Guarantee team, and we hope these are helpful. Keep the ideas and questions coming—you’re inspiring us to consider changes and improvements we can make to this program in 2018.

Cheers,

Lizzie

On security deposits and the Host Guarantee

1. What’s the difference between a guest’s security deposit and the Host Guarantee?

Read more

A guest security deposit is something you can choose to require of your guests. The security deposit is an acknowledgement by the guest that they may be charged up to the full amount should they cause damage to your listing. If you choose to require a security deposit from your guests, they don’t actually pay the deposit when they make the reservation. Instead, they’re charged only if you make a claim through the Resolution Center on that deposit and it’s accepted by the guest or granted through mediation by Airbnb.

The Host Guarantee  provides up to $1,000,000 in protection from Airbnb for instances when guests damage a host’s property. In order to process a request, you would use the Resolution Center to upload documentation of the damages (such as photos or receipts), and first request payment from your guest to cover those damages. You and your guests can work out the details on your own, or you can choose to involve Airbnb directly in the Resolution Center. The best way to ensure a smooth process with your guest or with Airbnb is to submit your report of the damage, along with support documentation as soon as you identify the damage.

2. What benefit does the Host Guarantee provide if I can just make a claim against a guest’s security deposit?

Read more
Hosts have the option to ask guests for a security deposit of between $100 and $5,000. In addition to the financial protection this provides, some hosts feel that asking for a security deposit reminds guests to be extra careful while staying in your space. The Host Guarantee comes from Airbnb and also can provide payment to a host for damages that a guest causes to your listing, up to $1,000,000. We’re currently looking at data to see if implementing a guest deposit changes travelers’ booking behavior.

3. If the security deposit cannot be collected from the guests, or doesn’t cover the damages, does the Host Guarantee still kick in?

Read more
If the damages caused by a guest during a reservation exceed the agreed upon security deposit, or if there is no security deposit for the listing in question, the Host Guarantee program is intended to provide support.

4. Do I have to pay anything for the Host Guarantee?

Read more
No, the Host Guarantee program is provided at no additional cost to hosts.

5. Can I require a security deposit for any length stay or just for longer stays?

Read more
You can require a deposit for any length stay. Security deposits can range from $100 - $5000 and we encourage hosts to pick a value that suits their most common circumstances. Currently we don’t offer the ability to adjust the security deposit for different stays.

On Host Guarantee’s scope of protection

6. In what specific situations does the Host Guarantee kick in (theft, damage, excessive cleaning costs etc.)?

Read more

The Host Guarantee provides payment for theft or physical damage to your listing caused by the responsible guest, or the guest’s invitee(s), during their stay. For complete details, you can review the full terms. Items such as routine cleaning costs (including excessive linen costs or floor cleaning) or additional guests fees are not provided under the Host Guarantee program.

You have the option of including a cleaning fee in your pricing. You may also send an alteration request or a request through the Resolution Center if fees are sought for additional guests not included in the original booking.

7. If the Host Guarantee is applied to my situation, will I get the full value I paid for an item or its present value?

Read more
The Host Guarantee program provides payment either for the repair or replacement cost of the damaged item. What we call the “actual cash value” (the amount we reimburse) is the amount it would cost to repair or replace damaged or destroyed covered property as a result of a covered loss. These amounts are based on accepted industry standards as well as the recommendation of an independent third party claims administrator. To determine the reimbursement amount, we’ll compare the current price of the item (or items of similar type and quality when yours is no longer available), and will include a reasonable deduction that accounts for the age and condition your item was in at the time the damage occurred.

8. Why doesn’t the Host Guarantee cover antiques?

Read more
Fine arts and collectibles are often tricky to evaluate. In regard to the Host Guarantee, antiques are covered if they can be replaced with something of similar quality or can be repaired or retouched. If you have an item that is high-value or near irreplaceable, it may be advisable to consult with an insurance professional on how best to protect this type of property.

9. Does the Host Guarantee apply for extenuating circumstances during a booking (e.g. burst water pipe, fire)?

Read more
If your future bookings are impacted by an event subject to the Host Guarantee, the program will also reimburse your income loss for reservations that were booked through the Airbnb platform and must be cancelled due to the mishap. For instance, a guest causes a minor fire, but the repair will take three weeks and the affected host has an upcoming two week reservation. Airbnb customer support would assist in rebooking that guest and through the Host Guarantee, the host would be eligible for the payout despite the reservation being cancelled due to the fire.

10. Why doesn’t the Host Guarantee apply when a guest cancels due to extenuating circumstances?

Read more
We’re currently in the early stages of exploring broader offerings for hosts and guests in regard to trip cancellations or other interruptions to you getting bookings.

11. I’ve heard that if I have a key lockbox outside my home the Host Guarantee does not cover me anymore. Is that true?

Read more
That’s not true based on the terms of the program. If there was a lockbox across town that was damaged by the guest, the damage to the lockbox itself may not be covered, but damage to the listing still would.

On claims and payments

12. How can I prepare in case I need to use the Host Guarantee?

Read more
You should reach out to the responsible guest immediately when you discover something has gone wrong—specifically you need to contact them either 14 days after checkout or before your next guest checks in, whichever comes earlier. When submitting your request using the Resolution Center please include a description of the damages, photos of the damage, support for the amount claimed and where applicable, the age of the damaged item. The clarity of your request and the support of that request will greatly improve the odds of resolving the situation with your guest using the Resolution Center. If the guest is not agreeable to your request, proper documentation will streamline the process Airbnb uses to review and make a decision.

13. What if I can’t get any documentation/quotes needed by the request deadline?

Read more
It’s best to report issues as soon as they happen. This allows for a timely guest response and a comprehensive review of the scenario. When damages are reported weeks or months after the occurrence, it’s often difficult to get in touch with the guest and the documentation is no longer fresh or actionable. Airbnb can send a third party claims administrator to help evaluate the damages. If it’s a busy season for you, we recommend at least letting your Airbnb Resolution Center representative know that.

14. To make a claim for the Host Guarantee I have to do it within 14 days after the date of guests departure, but I don’t have the time and money to replace what the previous guest damaged before my next guest arrives. What should I do?

Read more
In this scenario, please report the occurrence as soon as possible either through the Resolution Center or through contacting Airbnb directly. Airbnb support staff can assist in rebooking the guest as necessary, review damages, and consider if you’re experiencing booking income loss as a result of the occurrence.

15. How do I get money back from the Security Deposit for damage?

Read more
You must first contact the guest through the Resolution Center. Once your request is posted, the guest can accept the request, offer an alternate amount, or decline the request. If the guest agrees to your request through the Resolution Center, the amount requested will automatically be remitted to you within 24 hours. If the guest does not accept the request, you or your guest may ask that Airbnb mediate a resolution 72 hours after the request has been published. An Airbnb representative will review the claim and make a determination. In cases where a security deposit award is made, they’ll communicate the amount to be paid and will process a payment to your preferred payout method on file.

16. What’s the point in having a security deposit if we can’t use it? Why do we need the approval of the guest for it to be paid out?

Read more
This community is based on trust and good faith between hosts and guests. We want hosts and guests to be protected from misuse (of property and also of claims). The intent is that Airbnb will mediate in the resolution of claims if an agreement cannot be met within the Resolution Center. This is intended to ensure a fair resolution for both parties.

Thanks again to all the hosts who shared questions about the Host Guarantee. Please keep your ideas and feedback coming in the Community Center.

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

101 Replies 101

Lizzie, I know you are just doing your job, but you are not even touching this thread of complaint after complaint about the security deposit and the host guarantee.  I hope that someone higher up is looking at this and taking it seriously.  Fortunately I have never had to file a claim.  I hope it stays that way, but I sincerely feel vulnerable after reading these posts.  I have not read one where the host was satisfied with the resolution of their claim.  Very disturbing.

I'm inclined to agree!  We're New hosts (began listing in November/December 2017).  After reading this thread, I'm definitely reconsidering VRBO or long term corporate lease agreements.  What's the value in a guarantee, when clearly (based on the testimonials of other hosts) is not there when needed?  

I don't have a solution or ideas to share, (many experienced hosts gave plenty of ideas in this thread) but I really hope Airbnb makes improvements to the Host Guarantee soon!  

Julien37
Level 3
New York, NY

I’m so happy this discussion finally started. 

Ive been a host for 6 years and a super host many time. 

I had to file a first claim a month ago after a careless guest damaged my walls with her luggages and multiple stains of makeup. 

I only ask for the security deposit of $150. 

I took photos and explained my case. I felt confident this would be taken care of. 

The guest refused to pay anything. Not even $50.

The Airbnb sided with the guest, calling it normal wear and tear (!), despite the photos and my long experience as a host. 

I tried to fight my case as I felt it was very unfair.

But be aware: there is no appeal possible! Airbnb’s decision is finale.

So the security deposit is just an illusion since you are not able to use it yourself, like with any other rental. 

Furthermore, and that was the most disappointing part, the Airbnb team member shut me off and said that we should “respectfully disengaged from this conversation, as it won’t change the outcome of this case”. Wow. 

In the end, it was not about the money. It was about how Airbnb treated me as a host. I felt they didn’t have my back, which I thought I had from my “business partner”. 

I felt they preferred to keep an dishonest guest rather than a longtime host, with more than 100 positive reviews. 

I really questioned leaving it. And surely took a break from it since then. They know how to ask us to be there for the company, to call our representatives to influence a dangerous vote, to be involved in the “community”. But I have learned it’s a one way street. 

Julien I'm absolutly on your side. You explain exactly the same that I felt when I claim for host guarantee. 

I think the same "I felt they preferred to keep an dishonest guest rather than a longtime host, with more than 100 positive reviews."

I'm happy there are athor host that think the same then me. Thanks!

Eamonn0
Level 2
Salvador, Brazil

I am a host residing in US with a property in Brazil. I have been a member of Airbnb for over 5 years, a Superhost for 2 years and have over 120 5-star reviews. I am deeply upset by how I have been treated by the Resolution Center/ Trust and Safety Dept and feel that there is no recourse through Airbnb. I hope this message reaches somebody who will address my grievance.

Briefly, I had a booking from Nov 2-6, 2017, three guys who took terrible care of apartment, for example leaving expensive sofa cushions out by the pool overnight that got wet in the rain. They got expelled from Airbnb during their stay for reasons that could not be divulged to me, so I was dealing with someone from the Resolution Center. I submitted a claim in 2 phases, the first for breakage/damage that was determined by the housekeeper, in amount of 680 BRL, of which I was reimbursed 590 BRL. When I arrived in Salvador in mid-November, I discovered that 8 of the 15 speakers on my complicated sound system were not working. An electronics tech determined that the last guests had disconnected and reconnected wire at the back of the sound system, resulting in blowing components of an amplifier, zone divider  and several speakers. I informed the Resolution Center of this by November 30, and provided a receipt (on letterhead) for 1,424.20 BRL by December 10, a day before the deadline. Nevertheless, the Resolution Center person completely failed to respond to my initial email, or deal with the receipt for the sound equipment I had submitted. When I questioned this, I was informed curtly that the case was closed, and there was no further recourse, without ever addressing the electronics components. Further phone calls  and emails to Customer Service have only resulted in being informed that once the case is closed nothing further can be done.

My issues are (1) there should be some mechanism for appeal by hosts of decisions  of the Resolution Center, particularly if the tech appears to have been negligent in not addressing and indeed ignoring a particular claim, even if submitted after the first claim.

(2) The Resolution Center insists on receipts on company-headed notepaper. In developing countries, many technicians such as plumbers and electricians/electronics techs are independent contractors, do not own a company and do not have "company letterhead". They usually have a small books of generic "receipts", which they can fill out with their name, national registration number and the amount. In my experience with this  RC agent, the Resolution Center rejects these receipts, even though calling for use of the most economical labor costs. In my case the techs have been working in my apartment for over 5 years, are familiar with the systems withib the apartment and I trust more than an unknown tech assigned by a larger firm. I believe Airbnb should address this issue and take account of the  international market in which the property is located.

(3). It is simply rude that the Resolution Center techs shut down all communication after making a determination. We as hosts deserve better.

Eamonn Dunphy,

Salvador, Brazil

Eamonn0
Level 2
Salvador, Brazil

One further point related to above contribution: since hosts have a limited time to submit a claim, it is often necessary to submit a guessed estimate for the cost of a repair. It should be possible to adjust this guessed amount, once a  formal estimate is available, but currently this initial estimate has to be accepted by the guest first before any adjustment can be made. Thus the focus becomes the initial guessed estimate, rather than the actual price of the repair.

Airbnb should engage directly with hosts regarding the frustations in dealing with the Resolution Center, as amply expressed by prior contributors to this message thread. 

In my particular case, I want it to be clear that I am calling on Airbnb to re-open this case.

Eamonn

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

I have read the Host Guarantee and would mention the Arbitration Clause, it used to be quite reasonable, less so now, I assume because too many Hosts used it.

The Host Guarantee is in itself quite restrictive, sort of like a very old policy wording with many restrictions you no longer see.

How it is implemented well I can only go by how it has been reported on this forum and I see so many commonalities that I do not believe this is likely to be the odd abberation, there must be a common policy.

There is no requirement for such things as specific paperwork, seems to be made up, I see many situations reported where I am pretty certain an Independent Arbitrator would rule in favour of the Host.

Somebody at a high level in ABB needs to make sure that claims are settled in accordance with the wording, or change the wording.

David
Anne668
Level 3
Bedford, United Kingdom

More than once we have had two or three bookings in a row when we've been away on holiday, and so couldn't exactly pinpoint which group caused the damage (we have a large and rambling property and it would never be possible for a cleaner to know it as intimately as we do).

Very disappointed that Airbnb refused to pay out in such circumstances just because we couldn't be sure which group caused the damamge, given that the Host Guarantee comes out of Airbnb funds and is supposed to be there to protect us. It is so horrid to get back from the seaside and find two croquet mallets smashed and hidden in the flowerbeds (obviously when guests were drunk); or a fire hole in an armchair, covered by a cushion...

Wouldn't cost Airbnb much to pay for this and would generate so much more goodwill. 😞

@Anne668

I have been pretty scathing about the Host Guarantee etc but this is exactly the sort of situation AirBnB should not be expected to get involved with.

Robin from down under who is a regular poster mentioned what he does to cover such items some time back, he puts away a few £'s in your case from each booking into a slush fund to pay for such losses.

One of the main aspects of the Host Guarantee like any Insurance Policy is subrogation rights, AirBnB will seek to recover their losses from the Guest who caused the damge, if you have no idea which Guest did it, no such option.

And it would cost a fortune.

David

I do not totally agree. You are right but the main problem is that Host Guarantee doesn't guarantee host!

Anne altough you had known who caused the damages, be sure that the host guarantee will not cover you except in a small part as you could read in other posts. 😞

Edwin57
Level 10
New York, United States

https://instagram.com/p/Bc9Sr_YnKpI/

one of the model and the back ground is our Airbnb 

Edwin57
Level 10
New York, United States

Modelstopia Magazine 04 | Cover by Liz Dungate , Photographer & Stylist www.lizdungate.com @lizdungate | Model Camryn Herold @camrynherold | Elite Model Management NYC @elitenyc #modelstopia #fashion #newface #beauty #elitemodels #nyc #lizdungate

Edwin57
Level 10
New York, United States

the model you see was in our Airbnb the place was book through Airbnb for the week as a photoshoot and thats not the only picture they took,they only release this one

Julian144
Level 2
Orlando, FL

Very disappointed when I filed my first and l my claim after a guest took a comforter. Even though I have a property management company that takes pictures prior to every guest, the theft was deemed to fall under “misterious disappearance.” Savvy guests would know that if a damage occurs it’s best to take the damaged item instead of leaving the proof of the damage behind.

What good is a security deposit that doesn’t protect the owners from thieves.