A guide to using Scheduled Messages

Answered!
Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

A guide to using Scheduled Messages

I tried this feature when it came out a couple of weeks ago.  I thought I would have to create a scheduled message for each and every guest, but once you set the parameters, it's applied to every guest booked for that listing.  The only thing I'll have to remember is following up with any personalizations necessary.  For now, though, it's great to open my inbox and found that I've just sent a message to a guest coming in ten days with all the info he or she needs.

If you haven't set them up, it's pretty easy.  Go to Inbox, then choose the three horizontal lines in the upper left next to "All Messages."  From there, go down to "Scheduled Messages."  You'll have the option to add a new message or to edit the ones you've created.

When you create one, you can give it a name.  My messages so far are all the information for a guest's upcoming trip, so I named one Cabin - Upcoming Trip.  The shortcodes are useful.  Type "Dear," then choose a shortcode for the guest's first name.  Type the message you want to send or paste it in from previous saved messages.  (You might need to have two tabs or windows open here, so you can easily access all your saved messages.)  Once you're done creating the text, scroll down and choose which listing it will apply to.  Then schedule it.  The choices are "Booking Confirmed," "Check-in," and "Checkout."  In this example, I'm sending check-in instructions, driving directions, and the house manual 10 days before check-in.  After choosing "check-in," you'll be given date and time options.  The dates range from 14 days before to 14 days after, and the time is of course any time of the day or night.  You can also create messages that are sent upon booking confirmations and messages that are tied to the checkout date.

If anyone would like screenshots of the process I'll be happy to provide them.

1 Best Answer
Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

Here are some screen shots for clarification!

When you're in the Inbox, go to the three horizontal lines to the left of "All Messages":  

Screen Shot 2020-12-21 at 6.01.39 PM.png

Click on those lines, and you'll see this list drop down on the left, with "Scheduled Messages" at the bottom:

Screen Shot 2020-12-21 at 5.55.55 PM.png

Click on that, and you'll see +New Message over to the right:

Screen Shot 2020-12-21 at 6.04.10 PM.png

Click on that, and you'll get a box where you'll enter all the info.  Here it is in two shots.  Don't forget to scroll down:

Screen Shot 2020-12-21 at 6.06.40 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-12-21 at 6.07.00 PM.png

@Landon26

177 Replies 177

I have posted a similar question - how do you create/schedule custom messages for different/multiple listings?

Did you find an amswer?

Alexandra

Silvina94
Level 2
San Juan, Puerto Rico

Hello @Ann72 ,

My name is Silvina and I’m new to the hosting at AIRBNB. I would love if you could please send me the messages you send out to the guests. 
Thanking you in advance! Silvina

Helen2997
Level 1
Chipping Norton, United Kingdom

Hi 

Really useful, thanks. Does anyone know:

When you use the shortcodes, does the whole entire expanded text get pasted into the email? Or does it just insert a link for the user to follow? I assumed it was the first, e.g. 'guest first name', which I'm sure is the case. But I see you can also use shortcodes like 'guidebook', but surely the whole guidebook text won't be inserted, just a link? I'm just trying to avoid overload of information/text in a message.

How does the guest receive the messages? Are they emails? Or text messages? Or in app? Or do they get all/any of the options depending on how they've set their preferences? Again, trying to avoid them getting texts that are too long.

Thanks

Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

Hello @Helen2997 and Welcome to our Community,

I am glad to see that the message from @Ann72 has been helpful. Since this post has been in our Community for some time, I suggest creating a new post 👉 here with your questions. This will ensure better visibility within our community and increase the chances of receiving more replies from our members.

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Por favor consulta las Normas de la comunidad

Always sent in app. Guests would rather get the full details don't worry just put breaks in the message with paragraphs. 

Not sure how the guidebook looks it is probably the link, yes. You've too many questions to remember. Try the host support centre this is just a community chat with other users i don't think actual airbnb help people are answering here. 

Good luck

Alexandra1756
Level 2
Port Ludlow, WA

I have two listings with slightly different details - how to I separate the two and send the correct scheduled message to the correct guest?

you may have already gotten this answer, but you can copy and paste the new text in a new scheduled message - then to differentiate, you must click on "listing" and it will pop up all your listings and you click the one you want it to reply to.

Susan4556
Level 2
San Diego, CA

It would be nice if there was a "number of pets" short code.

Kyara5
Level 6
St. Louis, MO

Hi @Ann72 I set my schedule messages up and I love it. It makes the guest feel like they’re appreciated 😊

That's great @Kyara5!

Hi Ann,

I love the messages but when insert the short cut 'guest first name' from the drop down menu, it inserts it but when I click elsewhere to insert the date of arrival, the 'guest first naje' just changes to words. It is not longer a short cut. What am I doing wrong.

Cheers

Greg

Cheryl413
Level 2
Hendersonville, TN

My shortcode for Check-in Instructions must have disappeared.  Is there a way to get it back or create a new shortcode?

My shortcode for Check-in Instructions must have disappeared. I don't have it in my configurations either. It must be a mistake in general. That is one of the most important.