3rd time not the charm

Almalita0
Level 1
Arcata, CA

3rd time not the charm

Recently just had a young couple stay in my apt I let them know many times it was ok to smoke on the balcony but not inside after they left the room reaked of tobacco and it was everywhere in the bed and on the counter so I guess they roll their own or whatever it's is. I never put a deposit down and I'm not sure if I should charge them more or how much i would even charge for clearly violating my rules. What should I do? 

2 Replies 2
Jeff129
Level 4
Sunnyvale, CA

I am sensitive to smokers' smoke, and whenever my brother smokes on the balcony the smoke permeates the room if the door is not closed. Even if it is closed, his return to the room brings the smoke reek with him.

There's nothing you can do if you allow smoking but simply request that the guest close the door and hope that he does. You're better off listing it as non-smoking and requesting that the guest take it outside. I've had guests who smoked and they went out every time.

Air out the room, vacuum and wash all the linens and you should be fine...

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

As you know, It is difficult to prevent the  smell of tobacco or marijuana from entering the house.

I have a rule: "Smoking outside only. Please prevent the reek from entering house".

But it is not enough.

You must conduce them to roll/open their stash outside and then to seal their stash and garbage up before bringing it inside.

Perhaps a nice chair and table with a lidded coffee can And a small sign asking to roll outside  and stash garbage in can?

You'd be surprised how a lot of the smell comes from the packaging litter