Age discrimination question

Linda275
Level 2
Spring, TX

Age discrimination question

With the new antidicriminatory policy, is there a minimum age that we are "allowed" to decline? (Very strange I have to be told by a company what I will be allowed to do in my own home, but I digress).  I currently have a minimum age requirement now. We have a large house in a quiet neighborhood, and have huge respect for our neighbors.  Does anyone know how this will work out? I haven't seen anything on minimum age requirements. 

50 Replies 50

At 18 I was a mother and getting paid 500$ a weekend to watch a million dollar home, I would honestly go with the quality of the communication you recceive from guests rather than their age. Some of my best guests have been young women and men. The worst guest I had was a 40 year old woman. You never know. 

June104
Level 2
Nevada, United States

No he’s serious and u should be as well. By definition kids are under the age of 18, but if they’re over the age of 18 and u deny them housing u could be in violate of the fair housing act, which has nothing to do with Airbnb 

@Linda275

@David126

Yes, age is listed:

What is the Community Commitment?

You commit to treat everyone—regardless of race, religion, national origin, ethnicity, disability, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation or age—with respect, and without judgement or bias.

I am a 41 year old female and use AirBnB frequently for business and when I travel.  I've never had a bad review, and I think I have over 55 good reviews as a guest.  It states on my profile what I do for a living and why I use airbnb.   Apparently I look young in my picture, but recently, I sent an inquiry for two days to a woman in the Seattle area.   She said that before she booked she wanted to know my age, my job, and other details about why I was in Seattle.  This did not seem right to me, and I did not answer her and stayed with someone else.  I felt that she descriminated against me because the way I looked in my photo.    When, perhaps I am even older than her.  What should I do about this?  

@Rebecca209 I see 2 people in the photo so perhaps the Host did not know which was which or just had standard questions which everybody is asked.

David

No.  It is clear and I made it clear in my inquiry who I was, that I am a teacher.   I also made it clear about my business and my full profile shows who it is.   

Exactly.   

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

Thanks, I had seen it mentioned both ways.

David
Alfie0
Level 1
County Tipperary, Ireland

We too are confused by the 'age' discrimination.  Our house and farm is just not 'child-friendly'.... electric fences, steep stairs, etc.   Would love to have more clarity on this issue.

Margaret

Grace75
Level 1
Chesterfield, VA

We were on the phone with Airbnb customer service today. They confirmed that we must rent to anyone 18 or older. Unfortunately, I think a good many homes will stop using Airbnb because of this policy. Which is ridiculous because almost all hotels / other websites have the exact same policy (no one under 25 years of age may rent). This is not a discrimination issue, it is a safety concern for both property, and the young adults attemtping to rent it. 

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. 

Thanks @Grace75

I assumed they meant what they said but you never know.

AirBnB can decide on how they want to run their service, it is not going to fit everybody.

David

I am very upset about this new policy including such a broad "age" policy. There is no way I want to rent my home to anyone under 25, especially since that area is popular with partying students. This is my personal second home, not just some hotel business. I am curious how many people are going to jump ship from Airbnb because of this reason. Our state (Texas) does not have any law that includes age in discrimination. (other things - race, sex, reglion, disability are)

Ray, I see you are in Austin. Isn't Austin getting a bad rap already with Airbnb - complaints from others? I would think Airbnb would do everything possible to prevent more of the 'party' atmosphere that some people associate with Airbnb owners. The age policy is very disheartening as a home owner. 😞 

I put your answer as the "featured" answer. I hope that doesn't shut off others from further communicating on this thread. I am new to this forum. 

Karin5
Level 5
Levittown, PA

I've been seeing rumors on the internet that hosts could be sued for not allowing children. What? Then why is there a "not suitable for children" checkbox? 

Out of fear, many hosts said they are now allowing children.

Not allowing children is for the safety of the children. I am in a house that is not childproof and I have delicate furniture, many expensive and breakable decorations, etc. I'm not used to having children around (I never had any of my own) so I never prepared the house for children. 

I hope what I read are just rumors...