10 days into a security deposit request and no word at all from airbnb

Elizabeth434
Level 2
Austin, TX

10 days into a security deposit request and no word at all from airbnb

I finally had my bad airbnb experience. A group of 18-21 year olds rented my house, totally against my better judgement, but due to the anti-age discrimination expectation, I let them stay. I was truly hoping to be amazed at how well they would do and I was looking forward to writing them an amazing review. Yada Yada. They shot bb and pellet guns in and around my house, causing significant damage to my home. They also had the idiocy to shoot glass bottles on my porch and around my property. Glass shards were everywhere. They left permanent ink on my dining table and threw away some towels that they had gotten particularly nasty. They did clean up the kitchen, but that was just a bandaid.

For the first time, I needed to claim the security deposit. 

I visited the "resolution center." I made my claim, with photos and all. I never heard a word from the 18 year old. Still haven't. Airbnb acknowledged my request with an automated email and said that I'd hear from someone shortly.

I've heard from no one. 

Can someone let me know what to expect? I've heard "good luck getting airbnb to pay anything." 

Anything else?

Thanks in advance,

Elizabeth in Austin, TX

5 Replies 5
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Elizabeth434

Hi Elizabeth - I hope you get it sorted with AirBnB. If there is  significant damage to your home then I would think you are in a stronger position. Follow up with them constantly on Twitter and their FB page.

On the point below, you are incorrect: you can decline any booking with just a generic comment - I would have particularly as you say it was completely against your gut feeling. It does not involve age discrimination but your view of the guests fit with your property

"A group of 18-21 year olds rented my house, totally against my better judgement, but due to the anti-age discrimination expectation"

Thank you so much! Can I decline someone even on instant book? I had the stipulation that guests have to have a review from another host, and he passed that test and instant booked. Now I'm not on instant book anymore and I'm barely getting any views and no bookings. What do you recommend? Instant book and decline? Or not instant book? 

I would not use ABB where I needed a security deposit, however if you do you need very good management to stop this before it gets bad.

You say you offer complete privacy and seclusion....

David
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hello @Elizabeth434

I wouldn't be leaving this with Airbnb. Call them every day until the matter is resolved.

Thank you! I will start calling.