6-month old baby?

Gary412
Level 2
Bangor, ME

6-month old baby?

I'm a brand new host. We specified no kids under 2 years old in our profile, but a potential guest asked: " Also, I just read that the rules suggest that the property is not suitable for children under 2, is the only reason due to childproofing? Would it be against the rules if we had our 6 month old?"

Indeed the only issue is that the house isn't childproofed. But there aren't really any stairs. I'm more concerned with things like electrical outlets. 

I understand that AirBnB gives $1,000,000 in liability. Also, this guest has indicated by the message exchange that she understands that the house is not childproofed.

If anyone here has any thoughts about this kind of situation, I'd be very interested to hear them!

Thanks,

Gary

4 Replies 4
Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

I find that it is best to follow my own rules, @Gary412 Sets a good example for guests. 🙂

"We really are not at all set up for children," is an answer that will make you feel less anxious, and your inquirer will go on to get something more suited to her six-month-old. Win-win.

And it really is best not to rely on the $1 million thing. It is not easy to access. (You can do a search and read about that here in the forum.) Do everything possible to avoid scenarios you don't want. 

Hope this helps. All the best with hosting!

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

Hi @Gary412. Unless you are planning to set up for babies, then keep to your rules as @Lawren recommends.

I am a family oriented space, and setting up for babies and toddlers requires extra equipment and extra setting up time. If you don’t have change table/ mat, will they use your good bed?

A baby at six months could be very stationary, or very active even if not crawling. Rolling, pulling on things. Floor or bedding messes. You can never quite know what parents will provide or allow. Crawling babies and babies pulling themselves along can be missiles without programs if you provide a playpen and the parents don’t make use of them.

Suzanne302
Level 10
Wilmington, NC

@Gary412 I too, have a "no kids" rule but one of my very first few guests inquired about coming to stay with a baby (I think about 6 months as well).

She inquired in a very polite, friendly manner explaining even though she filtered for kid-friendly, my listing still came up and would I be open to hosting them anyway.

Because she approached it this way, I told her yes. But I explained that my house is NOT child proof and I had nothing to offer for babies/children (and they would have to bring anything they needed) and that also the room might be a tight squeeze with a playpen/crib.

She was fine with that and they ended up being fantastic guests and I received an excellent review. I still have a "no kids" rule and haven't run into the issue again, but if the guest is friendly about it and seems reasonable, I wouldn't have a problem with it again. I don't necessarily see this as an opening for a guest to break more rules. It's all in the approach.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Gary412

I have to admit I am very happy with Airbnb "family collection" option. Since they introduced it we haven't got single inquiry for hosting kids. Before we got at least 2 every month.

As others said: to be child friendly you have to have a lot of extra equipment and enough space for a crib etc...