$8,300 in Damages But AirBnB Host Guarantee Only Pay $250 ???

Ben105
Level 3
New York, NY

$8,300 in Damages But AirBnB Host Guarantee Only Pay $250 ???

Unfortunately, a guest caused a damage estimated @ $8,300 to the floor and AirBnB only agreed to pay $250. What should I do?

https://www.airbnb.com/guarantee

41 Replies 41
Joan51
Level 2
Perth, Australia

I have just recently had an altercation with the Airbnb Host Guarantee people.  My place was trashed in September - lots of little things (stained rug, chunk out of wall, wax dripped over carpets, shower rail pulled down, broken crockery and glassware etc., etc.).  I reported it to the police but they don't give out Police Reports unless the insurance contacts them.  I took 18 photos of the different damages and produced all the receipts to Airbnb.  My damages came to AUD $798.  After about 20 emails back and forwards, Airbnb have just contacted me to thank me for my patience and said that they believe that $66 was a fair amount for them to pay out.  They said that this was partly due to me not producing a police report, even though I stated that the police would not give me one, about 4 times!!!  The other part was due to the handyman, who repaired most of the damages, stating that his time was for repairs and cleaning.  His cleaning only involved 'repairs' (taking the wax from the carpets and rugs).  Airbnb asked for him to give an invoice detailing the repair vs cleaning costs.  For some reason I have not been able to contact him to get this. It seems that he may not be operating any longer.  I believe that Airbnb have NOT been fair. I feel as though my integrity has been damaged; I feel insulted.  Because Airbnb states that the Host Guarantee is not insurance, and they deal with it, I cannot get help disputing this through the Financial Ombudsman. Any thoughts?? Airbnb gets paid a huge amount each time.  They should be held accountable when their "verified" clients do such damage.  I feel for you Ben with over $8k of damage. I think I will involve the media now.

Airbnb is not to be trusted .... once my claim is resoved will post details.  Best to work with VRBO moving forward.  Although in either case, true, they only provide the contact with possible guests, all else is on us as super hosts.  Do not believe the marketing either company suggests will insure safe rentals, not true, is not secure for hosts.  And do not believe they are there for you with 'troublesome' guests.  they are there for you by calling, and as you know these kinds of guests will not respond, so you are on your own.  Sad to say, but airbnb is not a company worthy of respect in marketing tactics, spin, not a company of their word.  

Valentina32
Level 9
London, United Kingdom

Ben,

unfortunately I had a similar situation, what I also learnt the hard way is that the Airbnb Host Guarantee is good marketing but little substance......

Tara122
Level 2
Portland, OR

It seems this poor host guarantee is a common experience amongst hosts (myself just having a similar one, even though I was only requesting $45 from my guest to replace a pillow she bled through and stained) and my request was denied because even though I took pictures right away and submitted it the day after her departure, Airbnb says it was not submitted fast enough. I couldn't believe it! I am a Superhost and have hosted 300+ trips and have never needed to involve Airbnb and the first time I do, they tell me no and that "they think this resolution is fair." No. No it isn't, Airbnb. 

I wonder if there are grounds for a class action lawsuit against Airbnb for false advertising of the host guarantee? It is essentially meaningless and I now realize how much liability I have as a host in the event something worse happened, and I'm not willing to continue to host under those circumstances.

I too have been researching the possibility of a class action lawsuit against AirBnB -- and trust me as soon as there is one I will be part of it! My last guest damaged my front door, even apologized for it in the comments on the AirBnB website, but my claim was denied allegedly due to lack of proof that it was really him. The only thing I have received from AirBnB's "Trust & Safety" team is incredibly rude emails.

What I have learned during my research is that AirBnB has a clause in their terms and conditions that prohibits class action lawsuits which explains the snotty behavior of their customer service team. Fortunately such clause is not unsurmountable -- a judge can declare it illegal, and that is something I hope to happen soon!

Dagmar,

let me know how can help.  Way too many Superhost’s and regular hosts are being treated unethically.  This guarantee is fraudulent.  We the hosts need to find a way to get their attention through media and/or legal action.

chris

AirBnB do seem more receptive to media attention, I would certainly recommended getting them involved, usually works if you have a media friendly event, big party, lots of photo opportunities.

Will be interesting to see how the Guarantee works out in the longer term, I can not see them just carrying on, especially with an IPO in the offering and focussing on the Professional sector.

David

I would also be interested in joining in on a class action lawsuit. My Airbnb guests flooded my condo and the 2 below by letting a shower run out for hours. I took photos, video, reported it immediately, had a company come out with an estimate. Airbnb had their own adjuster come out and look. But now they been giving me the run around for months. They are not responding to my emails or phone calls. Their Host Guarantee is a lie.

People state they are organising a Class Action at least every month.

Then disappear....

So forget about that, I would try Twitter if that fails take the matter to Arbitration.

If you have Media contacts use them.

Have you followed through with the Adjuster, what did they say? they seem to use Crawfords.

As an aside this sort of incident should be covered by your Buildings Insurance.

David

Is there grounds for a lawsuit?  Because their guarantee is bs.   There is NO guarantee, they 100% protect the guest.  I recently had back-to-back guests damage my property.   The first heavily scratched a brand new cooktop.  The 2nd chipped my granite countertop.  Airbnb refuses to do anything.   

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

https://www.airbnb.com/terms/host_guarantee

Which includes 'the rest of the story'. Section VI is interesting, especially the 2nd bullet point. Also note sections IX , and X.10 & X.11.

I believe the use of the word 'Guarantee' is probably foremost the one giving the wrong impression, and causing the most problems.

Joan51
Level 2
Perth, Australia

Airbnb eventually offered me around $250 out of $763 of damages. They gave me 48 hours to accept this amount. I wrote back stating that it was $763 worth of damages and that they should reconsider this amount.

After not hearing back from them within that 48 hours, I contacted them again to ask what was happening. They responded by saying that they had withdrawn the 'offer', as I had not accepted it within those 48 hours. They were not willing to talk to me again about it and said that I should take out landlord's insurance.

So ... I received $0 damages payout.

Once bitten, twice shy. I am now really selective in whom I accept as a guest. They have to have at least one positive review from another host, have been a member for a while and have at least 4 verifications. I also ask them to tell me about themselves and why they want to stay at my place.

This has meant that I have declined more guests than accepted. But at least I believe that my guests will treat my place with respect.

Very sorry to hear about your experience @Joan51, I now remember that AirBnB used this 48 hours trick on me also... You're right about hosts need to be more selective about who they accept in and while it may help a little, the truth is that you can never know! Car insurance for example, wasn't only meant to protect from reckless drivers but mainly from responsible drivers that happen to get into an accident... 

It's unfortunate that AirBnB's 'Host Guarantee' is more of a roulette than insurance but luckily there are other alternatives to AirBnB...

Leslie201
Level 2
Bountiful, UT

I am in the fight right now. Had a guest stay for a week, had more ppl than allowed without extra fees which AirBnB has ignored completely. They stole all of our supplies and linens, AirBnB said too bad, mysteriously missing items not covered. They left drugs in the unit (so glad I found them before my 2 year old!) AirBnB didnt acknoledge. Damages came to $1000 for light fixture replacement, toilet replacement, smoke remditation, and a few other items, AirBnB now telling my the invoice isnt legit from the lisenced and insured state registered contract company that did it because ABB couldnt find their website (they dont have one)....Im ready to join a class action...anyone else???

Class action is a good idea @Leslie201, I'm in!