90 day rule & planning permission

David563
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

90 day rule & planning permission

Can someone please clarify. Does this 90 day rule only apply to hosts letting the whole property (rather than just a spare room? As I live in the flat fulltime).

I'm also thinking of going travelling for a few months so would in future be letting the whole flat. Where do I apply for permission, is there a cost, and how likely is it being granted? 

Thanks David

36 Replies 36
Bridget104
Level 1
Sandon, United Kingdom

Is there anyone from Cambridge (UK) Reading this conversation? I sold my fhl in Winchester ( where I had been told expressly that no change of use was required from domestic house to fhl - almost identical small city centre terraced house) and rolled the entire proceeds into a derelict city centre terrace in Cambridge. I spent far too much renovating, reintroducing suitable windows all with relevant planning. I was quite open about my intent to fhl it. Registered for business rates. Employed locals, put it in Airbnb and it’s been full ever since. Cambridge have just served me with a notice of planning contravention and I expect to be told to cease. I expect not even to be allowed 90 days as the Cambridge plan states that no residential housing stock must be lost. I will lose A LOT of money if I have to stop and let a lot of people down. Anyone else in same situation or having any success in fighting this sort of thing?

I have a two storey nine bedroom house in Cambs and have invested everything into renovating it and making it suitable for lodgers. When the rules changed in 2018 I applied for permission to make it a large HMO for lodgers and am still fighting the battle a year later. Objections include  vehicles obscuring views of the residence from both the front and rear, and vehicle noise. Ironically, it was suggested that I should consider applying for permission for a B&B. There is a real shortage of housing for students in and around Cambridge. If you hire a panning consultant like I did, they will negotiate with the Council. That would be my suggestion. Good luck!

Deborah563
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Hello, 

I am new to the aibnb community. I just wanted to know if anyone on here recieved permission from their local council to use there place for longer than 90 days ( East London). If so, how long did it take ? Is the process straight  forward ? I have been reading a lot of the articles online and I am getting a lot of mixed responses. 

Hello. That was the most productive question you asked whether anyone has got a Planning permmision for an extended 90night short term rental. I also need an answer on that question

Julia1
Level 8
London, United Kingdom

I did contact y local planning department asking them how to apply but heard nothing back!

Tom684
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

Hi all, if I give a guest a short term tenancy agreement then can I exceed the 90 day limit on a guest booking in London on AirBnB?  My leasehold allows for this so I am not sure why AirBnB would block it - unless it is too much hassle for them.  I can't find a way of asking AirBnB, I did try their Chatbot but it is a very dumb bot!

Thanks

Julia1
Level 8
London, United Kingdom

In theory you require planning consent for short term lets that exceed 90 days per annum in total so your suggestion would probably not let you by pass the rule.