A SOFA BED IN THE LIVING ROOM IS NOT A BEDROOM! PLEASE?

Julia708
Level 3
Washington, DC

A SOFA BED IN THE LIVING ROOM IS NOT A BEDROOM! PLEASE?

I'll admit I'm a guest, not a host, but I'm begging for your help. When I travel, it is usually with my family or friends, and we prefer at least two distinct bedrooms. I was raised to understand a bedroom as a room primarily for sleeping that could be closed off from the rest of the living space (studios excepted). But apparently on airbnb a pull-out couch or a twin crammed into the living room qualifies? I tried looking for a definition of "bedroom" on the site but I can't find it anywhere.

So I'm asking all of you hosts out there to help us guests out: please consider listing whatever bed you have in your living room as an extra bed in the common area, not as a bedroom. There are so many listings already, and having to wade through all the one-bedrooms masquerading as two is a huge waste of time. It's also not in the host's best interests: if people care enough to change the filter on their search to two+ bedrooms and then arrive to discover a one-bedroom-plus-sofa-bed, I'm pretty sure they're going to leave a bad review.

I hate to even bring it up, but I just spent hours looking for a true 2 bedroom in Zagreb. 

Thanks for listening, and thank you for hosting!

19 Replies 19
Dimitar27
Level 10
Sofia, Bulgaria

Not only in Russia. Europe in general 🙂

US classification is extremely impractical outside of the model landlord-tenant or seller-customer.

@Dimitar27  I assumed that but did not want to speak to anything beyond what I know for sure

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

Dear @Julia708  if you ever come to Zagreb again, you are welcome to stay in our 2 bedrooms + living room apartment 🙂 https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/13526118

or 3 bedrooms + living room https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/14763481

As @Inna22  said, in Croatia, the apartments are described by the number of rooms, not bedrooms so 2 rooms apartment actually means 1 bedroom + living room. This may be the source of confusion when the host doesn't speak English well.

Look what go.ogle translate says ( dvosoban stan = two ROOM apartment )

dvosoban.jpg

Having lived in Eastern Europe for three years, I understand--but the problem is that some hosts follow one definition, and others don't. So searching for three bedrooms (when you mean two bedrooms and a living room) will exclude the hosts that follow the traditional Western European definition of bedroom as a separate enclosed space. And searching for two bedrooms forces you to sort through countless one-bedrooms with sofa beds. It would be nice if there were some sort of consistent rule 🙂 

you are right @Julia708 , our listing has 2 bedrooms and it is listed as such, but thank you for this post, I updated my listing's description to make it very clear.