A controversial view? Whole flat 'industrial/commercial' hosts vs the shared home concept

Tracy0
Level 10
London, GB

A controversial view? Whole flat 'industrial/commercial' hosts vs the shared home concept

Hi everyone.  This has been on my mind and I was wondering what people thought.  Please know when I lay out my thought here I'm not meaning to cause conflict, argument, strife etc - though I recognise that not everyone will agree. 

It seems to me that more and more posts and comments and listings (in some areas anyway) are property management and 'supernumary whole flat listings'.  People are investing in flats to do short term lettings.  It's profitable.  Companies love it as they can set up systems etc as there are fewer variables perhaps than with a shared listing. And the platform is well known so offers great exposure.  Good business deal for them. (This is not to say that all whole flat hostings are 'impersonal' !!) 

It also seems to me that many local intiatives and objections to the platform of AirBNB (and similar) are because those councils/areas view such whole flat short term rentals as competition for longer term rentals/stable housing prices.

But the lead comes down on the head of the sharing host in many ways.  Continual legal battles between AirBNB and local districts will naturally raise fees, people who join AirBNB will see lots and lots of 'cookie cutter/agency staged' listings and not get it when they book a shared listing, etc. 

I do realise that different strokes are for different folks - some people really want to share, some people really want a space - this isn't about competition between the two offerings.

But worry that the massive influx of whole flat listings has not only an effect on local stability of housing but also the view that AirBNB was originally a sharing/personal contact kind of endeavor, which would have a greater negative effect on sharing hosts.

I am obviously seeing this from my POV - as a sharing host - so I welcome other views.

Have a great evening from London UK 🙂

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Contact AirBNB
3 Replies 3
Kimberly54
Level 10
San Diego, CA

Hi @Tracy0,

Some months(?) ago, someone put out the idea that it might be wise to somehow 'split' the shared vs/whole place listings & discussions... hopefully I'm recalling this correctly.

I agreed completely... still do.  I don't know if the suggestion ever made it upstream to HQ, but it really is such a valid point.  It would also make 'marketing' on the AirBnB site so much easier/better(?) for both guests and hosts.  As in, if you REALLY want the whole place, just look HERE.  And if you're interested in the shared experiences, look over THERE.  I think it would/could make everything so much easier for everyone, eh? 

Best,

Kim

Ok sure, but what about all of us somewhere in the middle?

my guests get an “entire place” but it is in my backyard. So they also get an on-site owner/Host as well. Not going to bump into each other on the way to the bathroom but we are on-site together. 

I think guests can tell when they’re renting from a corporation, but maybe a filter that lets them choose/exclude certain types would be helpful. 

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

I personally would never list with AirbnB if I was not on site, I would use VRBO whatever who are better set up for that sort of business.

David