A guest canceled and now my calendar says "null" and no one else can book

Richard109
Level 1
North Bergen, NJ

A guest canceled and now my calendar says "null" and no one else can book

I guest canceled, which scheduled 4 days andnow those days say "null" and no one can book it.

4 Replies 4
Serafina0
Level 6
Minneapolis, MN

Richard,

When the host clicks the cancellation button, one of the penalties Airbnb imposes is that the days that you have cancelled are automatically blocked. Could it be that the guest requested a cancellation, and you, trying to be the helpful host, went in and made the cancellation on your guest's behalf? Airbnb still counts that as a host cancellation.

I ask this because I noted on your profile that you had an automated posting in May that the host cancelled the reservation, and you responded that the guest had.

In either case, your best bet is to contact Airbnb to correct the situation: Either the guest initiated the online cancellation process and your nights are erroneously blocked or you cancelled on behalf of your guest and Airbnb's automated systems kicked in. The conversation you've had with the guest through Airbnb should clear that all up.

Good luck!

Hi Serafin.  I got the same null on my calendar but not due to a cancellation but due to not responding to the guest within 24 hours.  I did message to her twice within that time to let her know I needed a few days to make a decision.  I checked my messges calendar today and was surprised Airbnb had blocked off those dates from my calendar.   I am contacting airbnb and will post what i learned.  thank you for taking the time to answer the previous host's question!

after some research, airbnb wants hosts to reply to guest requests in a timely manner.  messages do not count as a response, only accepts or declines.  a costly lesson for me (blocked off dates) but i understand where they are coming from.  https://community.airbnb.com/t5/Hosts/A-guest-canceled-and-now-my-calendar-says-quot-null-quot-and-n...

To be clear - you are better off as a host to decline if you are in any way unsure of a guest, or you wish them to provide additional detail and there is a delay in them replying. It's quite ok to say...right now I have to decline until you can clarify....xxxxx...