A guest requested a refund to to go to a hotel

Roma7
Level 1
Rock Hill, SC

A guest requested a refund to to go to a hotel

I am having new front steps built for my house.  I thought the work was completed before the guest arrived yesterday.  Well, today I started getting messages from the guest that the builder was there until 5:30 yesterday afternoon and he returned at 10:30 this morning.  She insisted that I make him leave, so I did, but he was not at a good stopping place so he left a board up and that said not to use the stairs.  There is another entrance.   Anyway, then she said that this safety measure was actually in retaliation for them telling me he was there and they now fear for their safety.  This is a very small town and the builder is someone I know rather well. 

So, I DO agree with the guest that having a builder there during their stay is inconvenient, although I have since confirmed that he was only working while they were actually at the house for a short time.  They were out kayaking or at the beach or whatever while he was there.  I can understand why she would not be happy about not having access to the front entrance, although I personally find the rear entrance more convenient anyway.   For that inconvenience I am willing to provide her with a 10% discount. 

She asked me to get the carpenter to leave, and I did.  Her fear that he might retaliate against her in some way (he got a Saturday off and he will still be paid in full for the job) is unrealistic.  She chose to leave early and go to a hotel.  I don't feel any obligation to help pay for that hotel.  I would add that she left a very quiet, low key, island to go a larger island with a lot more to do, so I am a little suspicious about their real motivation for leaving 

I am new to hosting and this is the first serious issue that I have had with a guest.  I would very much like to hear the thoughts of other hosts.

Thanks!

4 Replies 4
Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Roma7 I think the guest is reasonable to not want to have work happening during their stay (that they were not previously informed of), they're reasonable to decide that they do not wish to continue their stay under these modified conditions.

For your part in this, a couple things jump out from an outsider:

A Host should know exactly what is happening at their place prior to guest arrival ( I thought the work was completed before the guest arrived yesterday.)

A Host should communicate at checkin time that a Guest is settled and all is well (Well, today I started getting messages from the guest that the builder was there until 5:30 yesterday afternoon and he returned at 10:30 this morning.) 

A Host should maintain control of their home (She insisted that I make him leave, so I did, but he was not at a good stopping place so he left a board up and that said not to use the stairs.) 

Once a situation devolves to the point that the Guest has lost all reason, then probably it is best to immediately agree to cancel the booking and make a full refund ( Anyway, then she said that this safety measure was actually in retaliation for them telling me he was there and they now fear for their safety. )

I would get on the phone with ABB CS immediately, since your guest is already gone, right? Ask them to refund the remaining nights, maybe even offer some amount of a discount for the disruption for the first night (half?). I certainly wouldn't be paying for whatever their new accommodation turns out to be, that part doesn't involve you at all.

If I were completely off-site, I would want some way of knowing exactly what was going on at my house: security camera, ring doorbell, trusted neighbor...

You've had lots of guests that have loved your place so clearly you're doing a lot right. Maybe this is about the stairs or maybe it's about something else, but I think there is enough smoke there for you to need to make some good concessions to the guest regardless.

Thank you for your perspective.  I only gave a brief summary of the situation above.  I notified the guest  on Thursday when I found out the carpenter needed to come back Friday to finish and I allowed them to check in early.  His coming back today was the surprise.  I was upset about that, too, and dealt with it immediately. I don't mind giving a discount for the inconvenience.  

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Roma7 

Hi Roma, I am sorry this has happened to you and it is a difficult situation for you.

On one hand the guest has paid money to stay in your listing based on the way you described it in the listing description....and I would lay a bet that description did not include a warning that tradespersons could be present! 

On the other hand I would agree with you that the alternative entrance and stairway is perfectly adequate and this guest is being a bit inflexible and possibly unreasonable. 

You did take all reasonable steps to please the guest and if they chose to leave that is their issue not yours!

If you do decide to make a compensatory offer make sure you do it through the Airbnb resolution centre! Don't be tempted to make some sort of deal outside the platform. You will have the support of Airbnb if you use them, you will not if you don't and back pocket deals are notorious for going off the rails.

If you want to make the guest an offer click the Send Request Money field you will find in the message stream with this reservation, nominate the amount of money you wish to refund and if the guest approves it Airbnb will attend to it from there. It keeps you remote from the problem. If the guest contests the amount you will have the resources of the resolution centre to help and work with you.

All the best Roma, I hope it all works out ok for you!

Cheers.....Rob

Thank you.  I did give them a discount through the resolution center.