A list of things Hosts often forget

Luca4
Level 5
Venice, Italy

A list of things Hosts often forget

Hi everyone!,

I travelled in apartments long before Airbnb even existed and I keep, to this day, noticing that often some basic stuff is missing.

This is especially common in apartments where the host never lived.

So I am making a list of things hosts often forget and I will share  with the community it when ready.

I'd be great if you could help with comments and suggestions!

Some of these may sound obvious but, believe me, they are really missing very often.

I'm starting with the bathroom:

BATHROOM

1) Soap holder in shower: really uncomfortable when missing. Guests need to leave shampoo and soap on the floor.
2) Hair dryer: some people need it and it's a deal breaker. Not every one has space in the luggage for it.

3) Trash bin: is missing it’s either a trip to the kitchen or stuff left around the bathroom.

4) Bathroom mat/carpet: when this is not available, guests often end up using regular towels on the floor, spoiling them.

What do you think? Anything else?

Thanks a lot!

Luca

143 Replies 143
Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Luca4, aw I am sorry I think I got a little carried away too! 🙂 I agree it is turning into a nice list.

Let continue to add to it, are there any more thoughts? 

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Is Kleenex (tissue boxes) already mentioned?

For congress/business area's maybe shoe polish?

A (long) shoe horn 

Sara2
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

After reading all of that and having to walk a Columbiaan guest to the store to buy his adapt or I am going to draw a map tomorrow and put all of those things that everyone suggested in the map plus ,

i have had soo many nationalities I managed to by cheap clean second hand foreign phrase books from charity shops ( good will in USA ) because not everyone can dash to google or translate on the first day

Sort of funny, sort of not, we were hosting people so often, in multiple rooms, while working full time and we needed to remember their names! So we created a chalkboard wall, in our kitchen (where we often meet our guests) and put their room and their names. We did this also when we have multiple people in one house, so *they* would remember each other's names. 

Another thing we did was label the rooms, because we wouldn't be able to give them a tour of the house and we didn't want them wandering around and getting lost. We many times tried to "host" through notes, emails, and texts, as we had little time to get acquainted, and that was nice too, so guests would have someone to ask questions while they were away, especially when we would forget to let them know something. Not so much a forgetting, but we'd forget to tell them important information (like traffic times, shortcuts to the city, etc.) so we'd simply tell them we were available to ask questions, Tele Google, etc.

Ok then, here's the list so far, keep posting!

A list of things Airbnb hosts often forget (Read Only Google Spredsheet)

Map of the city/state/Country (depending on where the guest stay).

A paper where guest can write their experiences about staying in the room/house (with ratings)

and question if there was something that could be improved ?

@Maryam-Al-Fakheer0:ok done, thanks!

@Till-and-Jutta0: great one! Added (and fixed typo)

@Lia---Garry0: good one too, added. As for Guidebook it would be great if someone made a Doc template. There are some online but I never found a perfect one.

The list: https://goo.gl/XS7EHf

Till-and-Jutta0
Host Advisory Board Alumni
Stuttgart, Germany

Great list, grazie mille @Luca4!

IMHO a must: a sufficient number of outlets, or a #multiplug. Now we have one in our luggage when we travel as guest. The short time we spend in the room, we need to charge our various electronic helpers, and always missed the outlets.

BTW typo in line 38: should be a KETTLE.

Thanks for orgainzing this rambling thread into something usable. This Google list is a good resource.

It is good to see that we provide more than 90% of the things on the list!  I think the idea is to make it easy for the guests and the host 😉

Since I am renting rooms in the home where I live, some items aren't as necessary (if a light bulb burns out, I change it).

I do have printed instructions for almost everything in the house, though -- saves me answering lots of questions.

We just got a stand-alone printer solely for guest use -- WiFi printing from phones, tablets and lap tops -- so that the guests do not need me to print out boarding passes or tickets for them.

Thanks -- Lia

-- Lia -- Happy Hosting!

I did this for my Guidebook and also have it posted in each guest room.  Please feel free to use whatever info. works for your situation.  This is just to give you ideas. Sorry I could not post PDF, only jpg image.  Cheers -- LiaEmergency-How to Shut Off Your Natural Gas-Electricity-Water.jpg

-- Lia -- Happy Hosting!

The chalkboard Idea is really great! I actually had this idea but wasn't sure how guests would feel about their names displayed... however they already know they are in a shared apartment so not sure where the hesitation is coming from! Any downsides to the method at all?

Till-and-Jutta0
Host Advisory Board Alumni
Stuttgart, Germany

We agree: We had a chalkboard when we stayed as guests in a Paris shared apartment. Especially during the terrorist attacks on AO2015 Friday evening the board helped us to communicate with our hosts, and gave us a warm feeling.

It's a good idea to keep these things available, why not? Something else to be appreciated by

your Guests. We all forget something when traveling, let them know you have availability to

these products, in case they ask.

I totally agree! Maybe they can add a private chef cooking scramble eggs in the morning... why not? Make guest happy!

It's a bit gross to use nail clippers that belong to someone else. I would never leave those for guests.