A list of things Hosts often forget

Luca4
Level 5
Venice, Italy

A list of things Hosts often forget

Hi everyone!,

I travelled in apartments long before Airbnb even existed and I keep, to this day, noticing that often some basic stuff is missing.

This is especially common in apartments where the host never lived.

So I am making a list of things hosts often forget and I will share  with the community it when ready.

I'd be great if you could help with comments and suggestions!

Some of these may sound obvious but, believe me, they are really missing very often.

I'm starting with the bathroom:

BATHROOM

1) Soap holder in shower: really uncomfortable when missing. Guests need to leave shampoo and soap on the floor.
2) Hair dryer: some people need it and it's a deal breaker. Not every one has space in the luggage for it.

3) Trash bin: is missing it’s either a trip to the kitchen or stuff left around the bathroom.

4) Bathroom mat/carpet: when this is not available, guests often end up using regular towels on the floor, spoiling them.

What do you think? Anything else?

Thanks a lot!

Luca

143 Replies 143

this list is going great, thanks to all!

I'm adding every single suggestion, keep posting! 
When I'm done I'll share it with you all.

@Pasek0, I lived in Bali, and you made me miss it now 🙂

Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

Shampoo, conditioner, lotion,new toothbrush and tooth paste.  I also have bandaids, nail file, clippers and Q-tips.  Just little things that travellers might need. 

Well, for the price you rent out (243 USD per night), there is financial space for those extra's.  I rent out for 24 USD including breakfast. Sorry, no new tooth brush and tooth paste. 

Sara2
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Slip on slippers that hotels give away free are useful they are always in a sealed cellophane bag

very much appreciated by guests

Nail clippers! yes I should remember that nex time....

Do you prepare travel size toothpaste?

I am sorry, but this list is looking more and more a "travelers" list than a "host" list to me.

Nail clippers ?   Tampons ?  What else ?  Set of "birthcontrol pills maybe or condoms ?

Set of Bible's for all sort of Christian religions?  Quran?  What else? 

Daily Newspapers?  Ladies Magazines ?  Name it.

Where does it end?

Where's the limit!!!

@Maryam I get your point and you're right of course.

But let's take this as an opportunity: I read every item suggested here and add it to a category (like Bathroom) and a Subcategory (like "Essential" down to "well, that's a bit crazy but who knows, someone may decide to add it") 🙂

If you see something which does not make sense for your business case, just skip it.

I think that once the list is complete it will be very useful both to know what can't absolutely be missing and a long list of "crazy" ideas.

"Set of Bible's for all sort of Christian religions?"
That's easy, every Christian religion uses the same, they just interpret it differently, just like this List, the future Host Bible 🙂

Thank you all, keep posting, the list is becoming really great!

Till-and-Jutta0
Host Advisory Board Alumni
Stuttgart, Germany

We bought ten disposable emergency #raincoats, made of ultra thin and light plastic. It happens, that guests arrive with best weather, and get into a heavy rain when they leave.

@Cristina10 - The subject was "A LIST OF THINGS HOST OFTEN FOGET", right?  

Well, I don't forget about tampons, razors, raincoats, etc. I just don't think it's something that a host "must" provide in order to be a good host. But if you start there, than the list would be endless.  Besides razor blades.... why not shaving foam, aftershaves, bla bla bla. 

There is also a certain responsibillity towards the guest to bring personal suff themselves or buy it themselves. 

Besides that, I believe such a list should differ between long-term guests or short-term guests (1-2 days only).

And for your infomation:  There is no such thing that every Christian religion use the same Bible at all.  There are many different bibles with different texts.  Protestant version, Roman Catholic version, Mormon version, to name a few.

Anyway, I am looking foreward with great interest to see the 2 lists, especially the "crazy" list. 

But to be honest, I like "common sense" more. 

@Till-and-Jutta0 - DIsposible raincoats... Great idea. Why not also a couple of disposible underwear. Accidents do happen, right?  

Some more items for the "crazy" list of "things hosten often forget".

Why not disposible cups and plates and a basket in case your guests want to have a piknick?

What about diapers.. in cause a baby/todler comes with your guests?
Some kids toy for all ages ? Playstation ?

A stock of liquors i.e. whiskey, cognac, wines, etc. maybe?

I personally believe it is better to provide a LIST of nearby barbers, hairdressers, salon/spa, sauna's, sport clubs, bars, restaurants, and - not to forget - pharmacy etc. 

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Maryam-Al-Fakheer0,

Good to hear your feeling here, just to say this is meant to be quite a light hearted discussion, with a range of ideas for little extra you might like to think of when hosting. Like @Cristina10 said these are tips, so not all will be relevant (if any) to you, but it is great to see that lots of others are enjoying sharing ideas on this topic and speaking with each other.  

Your suggestion about adding local amenities is fantastic and is great for guests. If you are interested in discussing nearby services it would be great if you could start a seperate thread. You could keep this quite general too and say what type of local amenities do you suggest to you guests (just one example). 🙂

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

@Lizzie Thank you. I am having a great time in the Community Center. But - as I mentioned beore - I thought the topic was.... THINGS HOSTS OFTEN FORGET.  Now it does not have anything to do with OFTEN FORGET but just TIPS. There's the confusion. I took it too serious. 

I keep saying that there are (big) differences if you rent an entire home for long term stays, or just rooms in a touristic place for shot stays. There might be very different expectations for guests. But also very different possibilities for hosts. In my touristic area a medium price is about 24 $ a night, while in other cities 150+ $  is the standard. 

In countries such as the USA there is "cleaning service" and "key-delivery service" and and and... while in my area.... nothing of that at all.  Wonderful if you can rent out and have nothing much work to do yourself. Here we clean, cook, arrange, staying 24/7 available, answering all questions, arranging for everything by our selves. And that for just 24 $.

And on departure of my guests they get a small "local" souvenir too. 

The services/aminities to provide differs a lot between area's, locations, countries. The wonderful list of "things hosts often forget" can be great for the 3-star 150+ $ houses, but for others can be a list to see the impossibilities.

In other words:  great for some, painful for others.

@Maryam-Al-Fakheer0 and @Lizzie

"I thought the topic was.... THINGS HOSTS OFTEN FORGET.  Now it does not have anything to do with OFTEN FORGET but just TIPS."

Maryam has a point, that was my intention and I actually tried to limit to the bathroom at first, but it quickly spread all over the house and to "nice to have".

It's fine, I can work with that and the list is becoming really nice. 

I will share it soon, thanks to all!

=====

(@Marika0yes, Airbnb will collect it for you and send it together with the rest. Please ask following questions separately in a new thread so we keep the the conversation on topic. Good luck!)