A question for all: Would you decorate your Airbnb house for Halloween?

Huaai0
Level 10
British Columbia, Canada

A question for all: Would you decorate your Airbnb house for Halloween?

2017-09-06 12.18.11.jpg

Hello fellow hosts,

Halloween is coming soon and it is my favorite. I love buying Halloween toys and turning my house into a horror house. But if you have Airbnb

guests, would you still create a horror house? I just want to know what others would do and think...

98 Replies 98

@Branka-and-Silvia0 Yep. 

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"
Huaai0
Level 10
British Columbia, Canada

@Marzena4

True. If you look for Xmas cards in December, chances are you see 85% of the cards with "Happy Holidays" or "Season's Greetings," while "Merry Xmas" cards are marginalized. 

At universities, professors rarely say "Merry Xmas" in class, because the student body is usually high diverse. 

@Huaai0@Marzena4@  More PC madness. 

If you've read the description of my place (which is snoozing now because I'm going to have to go off grid in a week or so for a while), I live in the most multi-cultural 'hoods on this planet.  Cracks me up.  Our local drug store (CVS/Rite-Aid-types) carries the most amazing Halloween fixtures.  WOW.  I'll try to take a picture for you!  They're NUTS! Just like you! 

The past two years, life-size, or nearly life-size black Santas, with white beards (I have a neighbor who looks just like one of them!)  OMIGOODNESS!  The manager says he can't order enough and he sells out every year!  

Yep, black as you please, negro/African-whatever flavor Santas, nearly as tall as you! 

(OK, if you put one of those up for Halloween, THAT might be a violation of PC?  Hahaha!!!!) 

Kim

@Huaai0@Marzena4:  Clarification:  The black Santas are NOT available for Halloween!  I think I got side-tracked in our conversation of Holiday fun!

This season at the drug store are small-ish (3+ feet tall) witches-- @Huaai0, you would LOVE these!  Completely creepy... blinded eyes... wow.   Will definitely post some pix for you two when the season comes.

Kim
Huaai0
Level 10
British Columbia, Canada

@Kimberly54@Marzena4

Nativity toys are sold everywhere and all year around. I love little Xmas toys @ Hallmark, which has the cutest Xmas collection. I bought this little peanut music box with Snoopy from Hallmark for Xmas. Love it!

2017-09-17 12.10.13.jpg

Awwwwwww!!!! XOXOXOX

@Huaai0@Marzena4, we three really must meet sometime! 

Can we all be hosts and guests at the same time???  Rack up our scores/stars??? (Haha!  Just kidding!)

@Huaai0, I have no idea of your background, but it's GOT to be interesting.  @Marzena4, I actually sang the Polish National Anthem (yes, in Polish, right? Right. Nice anthem) in front of a cheering crowd of immigrant Poles in San Diego.  What amazing people!  Don't speak Polish, but understand a lot. 

Sweet.  THIS is the spirit of AirBnB!

Kim
Huaai0
Level 10
British Columbia, Canada

@Kimberly54

Yes I will be a guest November through December as I will be traveling to the Holy Land. I booked a hotel in Jerusalem close to the Via Dolorosa, and an Airbnb in the heart of Tel-Aviv. This will be my second Airbnb guest experience. 

@Kimberly54 @Huaai0 Try to find a way to Cracow 😉 Welcome any time.

Huaai0
Level 10
British Columbia, Canada

@Marzena4@Kimberly54

Are you guys serious about getting together?

I can drive down to San Diego lol as we often drive down to the USA for cheaper gas and outlet shopping. Had a trans-America trip in 2015 and it was cool. For Poland, yes, a friend of mine and I have been planning a trip to all Eastern European countries and Russia. 

@Huaai0, it would be a lot easier for you and me, being that we're on the same side of 'The Pond.'  I only have one guest room and my couch is way too nice to let anyone sleep on it (;-)), so for the three of us, I'm not a destination, but you're certainly welcome here!   My house is on AirBnB 'SNOOZE' right now so I don't know if you can even see it.  Super sweet house/property on a reservoir/wildlife preserve. 

You DRIVE from Canada to San Diego?  I mean, totally worth the drive (I LOVE San Diego), but that's a real haul!

Kim

Okay, I've got an idea... 

We can meet in Santa Rosa! I've got a studio and two guest rooms (1 twinXL bed/ea) - also, I'm midway between BC and San Diego!

I would have no problems putting the Studio on snooze and having a meet-up!

Jann

Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Huaai0 Here, some people put out Xmas lights, even in blocks/condos/tenements. Drying on the balcony doesn't seem to be a problem, which is why tumble dryers are not a must (which surprised my Asian guests).

Huaai0
Level 10
British Columbia, Canada

@Marzena4

Xmas lights are definitely okay in Canada, though in public these years we see more "Happy Holidays" rather than "Merry Xmas." 

Hang-drying on the balcony is widely accepted in most Asian countries--even in the developed parts of Asia, and you may also see hang-drying in some European countries, too, such as Italy. I was in Napoli last summer, where you could see hang-drying clothing in every balcony. 

In Beijing, where most balconies are enclosed, so hang-drying does not make apartment building look too bad. 

In Australia, according to a fellow host, hang-drying was okay in the past but nowadays it is banned. For single detahced houses, people can sometimes hang-dry in their back yard, but certainly not in the front garden on on the front porch or deck. 

In nice areas in Paris, France, I did not see hang-drying on balconies, so I figured there must be bylaws by the City regulating the looks of balconies. 

Huaai0
Level 10
British Columbia, Canada

@Kimberly54

Here is my simple Autumn decoration, with 2 pumpkins. 

2017-09-16 12.41.29.jpg

Robin129
Level 10
Belle, WV

I wouldn't mind a couple black cats, fake arms, or spider webs, but if I reserved a room and arrived to find a full-on house of horror I'd call customer service and demand a refund.

If you are going to do something like that you should mention it in your description. And maybe even message potential guests and let them know. Be honest with your potential guests. By listing it you may get a guest who loves it as much as you do.

---> That's how I look at most guests, like cousins. And you know, some of those cousins are kooks.