A question for all: Would you decorate your Airbnb house for Halloween?

Huaai0
Level 10
British Columbia, Canada

A question for all: Would you decorate your Airbnb house for Halloween?

2017-09-06 12.18.11.jpg

Hello fellow hosts,

Halloween is coming soon and it is my favorite. I love buying Halloween toys and turning my house into a horror house. But if you have Airbnb

guests, would you still create a horror house? I just want to know what others would do and think...

98 Replies 98
Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Huaai0 I wonder how our big brother Airbnb would classify holiday decorations. Maybe discrimination?

Can you imagine that in Europe in some countries it is not politically correct to put holiday decorations in public places - the policy concerns Christian holidays. 

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"

@Marzena4@Huaai0,

I can not possibly think that AirBnB would classify any kind of holiday decorations as anything descriminatitory!  The whole concept came from the desire to share cultures and experiences--precisely why I am here!  

The ONLY reason I offered any push on the subject (DEFINITELY warn the guest!) is because Halloween can get a little bit 'out there' if you know what I mean.   In San Diego, people really go all-out for Halloween.  It's hilarious, and the kids are so incredibly adorable in their costumes!

The sterile concept of 'political correctness' I find annoying--and I don't mean to annoy anyone with this!    Ultimately, holidays, whatever your beliefs, are celebrations!  Christmas, technically, has nothing to do with Santa Clause or reindeer, or kids getting presents, or putting ornaments on trees... but guess what?  IT IS!  And it's FUN!  Easter has little except pagan to do with eggs and chocolates except to represent prosperity and fertility, but few people even know that today--certainly not the kids!  Almost all of them (holidays) have some roots in the 'pagan' anyway.  Celebrations of the spring--a new year, the summer, the fall harvest, the winter... A good time to sort of lighten-up, eat weird stuff, and do things that aren't ordinary.  It shouldn't be political at all, and the 'correctness' should, in my mind, come from an open heart. (Soooo, pleeease don't be offended!)  I have so many friends from so many places--and I am so happy to celebrate right along with them! 

BOO!  (That is supposed to be a startling noise)   :-))) 

Kim
Huaai0
Level 10
British Columbia, Canada

@Marzena4

What kind of policies? Were you saying Strata bylaws? If so, yes, if you live in a condo, you have limited freedom to decorate your patio. Usually other than a patio set and plants, you are not allowed to "decorate" it with other things. Also, all windows in a condo are required to look consistent, so the blinds you use have to look the same as other units, and you are not allowed to decorate your window with paper cut or stickers. I have a friend who has received a warning from Strata because he hangs little Chinese toys on his window, which were visible from the outside and looked inconsistent from other windows. Strata also does not allow any unit to use a door mat in the hall way

But if you live in a single detached house, I don't see why you can't decorate your house as you like for holidays. 

@Huaai0 Concerning your Strata - similar laws exist here. Plus any regulations for historic/classified buildings. 

What I meant is stripping holidays of any reference to religion (in case of Christian holidays). You would have to read about or google for images to understand the full extent of such actions. From what I know, many hotels being public places follow that as well. Such actions are taken to "accommodate cultural diversity."

Huaai0
Level 10
British Columbia, Canada

@Marzena4@Kimberly54

I took these 2 pics yesterday to show that all patios/balconies and windows in a condo have to look consistent. Decorating or hang-drying is not allowed. However, if you live in a single family house, you sure can decorate your property for Xmas or Halloween. 

2017-09-13 17.40.40.jpg

2017-09-13 17.40.43.jpg

Huaai0
Level 10
British Columbia, Canada

@Marzena4@Kimberly54

This is a typical Halloween house decoration in Vancouver. 

Halloween-House-e1477002450621.jpg

Oh my gooooodness, @Huaai0, YOU WIN!

Think about this... could you put some temporary pictures on your current site? 

Fantastic.  LOVE IT!  Wish I could be there!

Kim
Huaai0
Level 10
British Columbia, Canada

@Kimberly54

Just have two pumpkins and some artificial Autumn leaves. Nothing special. Oh, and one "Enter at your own risk" sign underneath my porch because I have had trespassers who stole my garbage pick-up tool twice and one garbage bin! 

@Huaai0... this makes me sad.  =-(

Don't you have lots of little kids trick-or-treating? 

Kim
Huaai0
Level 10
British Columbia, Canada

@Kimberly54

Not sure about this neighbourhood. 

@Marzena4 really? Never heard... in which countries?

@Branka-and-Silvia0 For example Germany, France, and recently Poland too...

Edit: I don't have any first-hand news from Sweden...

@Marzena4 I didn't know that.... so city streets are not decorated for Christmas ? Or they are but it is forbidden to decorate your own apartment windows and balkonies if you live in a building?

@Branka-and-Silvia0 Rather stripping the streets of any clear religious reference. Just like @Huaai0 wrote - happy holiday replacing Merry Xmas.

@Marzena4

I see... so cities are decorated but just with lights, Santa and christmas trees ... there are no angels , no Jesus, no nativity scenes etc...?